need help finding the right Syrah/shiraz

Hello all! So the other night we went to dinner and enjoyed a bottle of 2014 Darioush Signature Shiraz. From what I can find on WS it goes for around $70 a bottle. Are there any good comparable out there for sub-$50 that someone may recommend? I really liked how it has wonderful fresh picked fruit Syrah/shiraz flavor yet had just enough acid and tannin to avoid being a fruit bomb (or what I consider a fruit bomb).
Thanks
Chad

d’Arenberg Dead Arm
John Duval
K Vintners Beautiful, Deal or Cattle King
Gramercy
Carlisle Sonoma County
Force Majeure
Betz

2nd vote for K Vintners Powerline Syrah 2015 … about $46.00

Lagier Meredith just recently released their 2017, which I think would fit the bill nicely.

Any Bedrock Syrah.

I would have to respectfully disagree with both Lagier and Bedrock. Lagier is a beast and takes forever to open up. Bedrock tends to be a more savory profile for me.

I would recommend Jaffurs and Stolpman from around my neck of the woods. There’s are some great Syrah values out there…enjoy the hunt!

Good one, although I’d prefer 12, 13, 16 over 17.

Just as a data point, here’s my note on the 2017 Lagier Meredith Syrah:

2017 Lagier Meredith Syrah - USA, California, Napa Valley, Mt. Veeder (8/25/2019)
Deep ruby, not quite opaque, nice floral pepper/spice/dried herb nose; very nice, quite intense deep red fruit, strong acidity to start, which fades slowly to show more pepper, spice, those dried savory herbs, along with a good dose of anise, medium fine tannins. If I didn’t know that this is all de-stemmed fruit, I would think there is some stem presence giving this a nice level of complexity. Every vintage tells it’s story in the wine, You can almost sense that story here, with a fairly normal vintage up until the very end, when a short but record heat spell swept in. I’m not sure exactly what character that lends the wine, but it seems to have added some layers of extra complexity and interest. Picked and barreled well before the tragic and historical October fires that actually nearly engulfed the vineyard at the top of Mt Veeder, but which was happily not a factor in the wine. A sensational vintage of Lagier Meredith Syrah. (94 pts.)

I think those notes are spot on. I guess I just don’t associate the OP wine as something similar. I would assume they want something more forward and less herbal/acidic/savory. BTW, I love LM and Bedrock. Looks like I need to get some ‘17!!

Ah, I interpreted it as wanting some acidity and tanning (but not too much). Either way, also trying to nudge the OP in the right direction :wink:

Check out Halcon - Paul makes some wonderful syrahs

For bargain prices, I just finished a bottle of 2012 Kiona Syrah Red Mountain that was wonderful. It was great on day one but better on day 3. Think it set me back less than $20.

https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/kiona+estate+rsrv+sra+red+mnt+washington+usa/2012/usa/usd

Nice call on the Kiona, Josh. They’re making such good wines right now in their lower-end price space.

I would echo the recommendation for some of K Vintners’ non-Rocks Syrahs. If sticking to California, I think you’d love what Alban ‘Patrina’ Syrah gives for under $50. Edit: I just searched W-S for places that ship to PA and they’re all about $53-$55 per, so close but not sub-$50.

Myriad, Quivet, Riverain syrah

As others have said K is known for making great Syrahs. For good value in Syrah you may just want to start exploring the Walla Walla region. Very good wines and mostly in the $40-$60 (non-cult) from excellent vineyards. Va Piano, Spring Valley, Gramercy, sleight of Hand, Saviah, Proper, Dusted Valley. You can’t go wrong with any of those and others.

Just came back from a long tasting weekend there and if I didn’t know about Napa Cabs, I (and my wallet!) could be perfectly happy just owning WW wines.

Drank through the Envy line up this past weekend and was very impressed by their Petite Syrahs. Particularly the Borderline.

Hard +1 on the Alban Patrina for what the OP desires. The 2014 (what I see on shelves) is showing a lot of wood at the moment though

I would recommend Tensley Colson Canyon (recently saw the '16 at Total wine for $40)

Can’t go wrong with Mike’s syrahs in the Myriad or Quivet portfolio.

I drink a few bottles of K vintners each year and those are quite distinctive, may be too funky for what he wants. I also drink a lot of Pax and don’t think it’s in the same space as the Darioush Syrah mentioned with respect to body and acidity. But Donelan bottles from 2010-2013 might fit the bill.

Plumpjack makes a very bold syrah with 15% malbec that is pretty juicy and clean, around $60 I think.

Those are all fairly mainstream US wines and fit the ripe/bold/fruit driven side of syrah.

This is a good thing to keep in mind. Syrah, other than a few hot producers and then the Cote Rotie / Cornas regions (which don’t make a style at all similar to Darioush), sells very poorly in recent years, and as such, there are many discounts and bargains around.

It’s a real buyer’s market. I’m guessing you can find syrah you’ll like as much as Darioush for a fraction of the price, pretty easily.

Carlisle is a great option.

If you do want to splurge at the price point of Darioush, though, Lillian is a good option. Made by former Sine Qua Non assistant winemaker Maggie Harrison, and from some of the same vineyards. If you aren’t familiar with Sine Qua Non, they are the “hot producer” exception I referred to, with wines selling for $250+ and sometimes double that, and a waiting list over a decade to buy them.

You can find Lillian syrah at retail for $60-75. It’s great stuff, in a big, modern style which (my recollection is, at least) still has real complexity, wine character and decent balance.