Grenache Day, Sept 20

Apparently someone decided to name Sept 20 as Grenache Day. What do drink?

Beer?.. [stirthepothal.gif]

The proliferation of “National ____ Day” leaves me so flat. And yet it seems to work, people actually seem to discuss them and to care that it’s National Donut Day or National Peanut Butter Day or whatever.

Just another thing I don’t get these days.

I also hate all of these random, made-up "____ day"s, but if I was going to celebrate, I would probably open a Torrin Mavin, which is probably my favorite Grenache currently.

Carlisle Rossi Ranch [cheers.gif]

Yes, to put this in context, today (Sept 19) is, among other things, National Talk Like a Pirate Day, and National Butterscotch Pudding Day. The national day calendar online does not mention tomorrow as Grenache day, but does note that tomorrow is National String Cheese Day and National Fried Rice Day. It is also National Punch Day (which maybe refers to New World fruit forward grenaches?) All a bit silly, but yes, I may use it as an excuse to open a nice grenache tomorrow – perhaps a God Only Knows .

The concept of adding some string cheese to fried rice and then punching somebody is truly repugnant. Although if I had to eat fried rice with string cheese in it, I’d probably feel like punching somebody. However I can probably find a Grenache-based wine to drink. If I can round up a few victims, I could probably dumpster dive in my basement for a Grenache Blanc, a Grenache Gris, along with both a Rose and a red based on Grenache.

Dan Kravitz

All for it.
I’ll drink just about anything from the Gigondas region or Saxum.
Jaffurs makes a good one too.

Easy choice, 2013 LaRata [cheers.gif]

At WB, every thread has an element of curmudgeon complaint. Obviously, you don’t work for Hallmark. neener

Bucklin makes a great Grenache. Old Hill Ranch.

Yeah Chris!!

Truth is, I feel pretty much the same way. Is there an “official” Grenache organization that is responsible for creating and maintaining the purity of Grenache? Or was this day the result of an idle, offhand comment in the same way that Talk Like a Pirate Day came about?

If the latter, I’m all for it!

But having seen that KFC is going to start serving a chicken sandwich with donuts as the bun, it started me thinking about the need for additional celebratory days. Like “The Most Disgusting Dish You Can Create With Donuts Day”.

BTW, Paula Deen had a recipe that you’d have to beat to get first prize. It was something like a box of your day old leftover Krispy Kreme donuts, a can of fruit cocktail, a stick of melted margarine or butter, a couple of eggs, and a can of sweetened condensed milk. Mix it up and bake until yummy!

I’m always up for Grenache Day. I usually have Chateau des Tours and Birichino around, or Vieux Telegraphe if I dig a little deeper.

Good thing it wasn’t yesterday or it would have been Garrrrrrrrrrrrghnacha Day.

ron
nice reference. that is very funny [cheers.gif]

oops misread. thought u said perhaps, god only knows
didn’t see the “a” in there
maybe not so funny after all :wink:

I’ll probably open up a Garnacha from the Calatayud region of Spain. I’ve been really impressed with the quality of wines being produced from that area lately.

I’ll be pouring my wines tonight at Wine on Piedmont and will try to ‘sneak’ a grenache into the line up in honor of the day.

Cheers!

Well, since today is national fried rice day,

2E7DA208-6F99-47C0-A355-87F7CE3A8AF0.jpeg

I guess I jumped the gun last night by accident, although it was the 20th already in most of the world. Opened a 2012 Boutinot Cairanne La Côte Sauvage to go with burgers. It was better than expected, but only 70% Grenache.

Just couldn’t wait huh?