TN: 2000 Chateau Lynch Bages, Pauillac

Another business dinner, but this time I am bringing the bottle. Been meaning to check in on this vintage of Lynch Bages, and my dinner companion is a Bordeaux fan. This wine hit on all cylinders, even if it really could use another 4-5 years.

An utterly classic Paulliac: pencil shavings, cassis, tobacco, dark fruits and forest floor. Took some coaxing in the decanter to showcase its goods, definitely not a wine for pop and pour at this youthful stage. The palate is still a bit tight, showing a more linear range of fruits from reds and darks. Actually, is showing a bit more cool profile than what I expect for a solar vintage like 2000. Almost a minty note. Still chewy with dry tannins and significant acidic structure. This baby has a life ahead of it. Followed over a 3-hour dinner, kept building in expression over that time, with the last glass being the best glass.

(93+ pts.)

Thanks for the TN

I have a bunch, thanks to Costco

I had this a few weeks ago and I thought it was nowhere near ready - was still showing a bit of oak to me. Next to the 89 Leoville Poyferre we also opened that night it was a massive beast that needed another 10 years.

I’m worried we’re drinking the same things - am I going to be ordering Ovid soon… newhere

Thanks for the look-in. I have a few too. Think I’ll wait a bit longer

Is 2000 really a solar vintage? It definitely isn’t a sloppy-fruity solar vintage like 1990 or 2009, it’s got tremendous structure and purity.

I think somewhere around 2025 or so people are going to recognize 2000 as an all-time great vintage.

I believe 2000 was the first year solar panels were utilized to absorb some of the sun’s rays that was having an effect on soil temperatures.
[whistle.gif]

Compromise on a Canon 2015? :slight_smile:

Yes, even ten years it will be great but I don’t think it “needs” ten years.

I like this wine quite a bit. Thanks for the note.