TN: 2010 Eric Texier Côtes du Rhône Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban Vieille Serine Domaine de Pergaud

2010 Eric Texier Côtes du Rhône Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban Vieille Serine Domaine de Pergaud
I’ve been patiently waiting for these to come around…very structured and bright in their youth. Cranky immediately after opening with plenty of acidity…but with the first sip…a more mature quality to the fruit with slight tertiary notes. In about 20 - 30 minutes, the wine relaxed and blossomed. Leather, olive, tobacco and bacon…but not your average pork product…a complex Speck-like savoriness. No shortage of plum and dark briar fruits transitioning from precocious to sophisticated. There’re mild floral notes on the nose…perhaps dried lavender and hints of underlying minerals on the palate. Excellent length and cooperative tannins. Great equilibrium. A contemplative Syrah (Serine) to say the least…and a fine pairing with a grilled CAB NY Strip. This is slowly entering the prime drinking window and ramping up complexity. No hurry. Cellaring has its rewards.

RT

Thanks for the report. I have some '09 of that and some of Texier’s 2010 Brezemes. The acidity was really in the foreground of these when young, so I’ve been curious to see if that was less prominent with age.

Agreed, I had a great bottle about a month ago. Really seems like it is hitting a first peak for those who love depth of fruit and not just tertiary complexity.

When I had the 2010 Brézème Pergaud about a year ago it was still pretty tight, FYI. The 2011 last week was stellar.

2011 Eric Texier Côtes du Rhône-Brézème Vieille Serine Domaine de Pergaud - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône-Brézème (9/15/2019)
Wow, this is great! It manages to have fruit sweetness without weight or jamminess. How did they do that? Steph requested an “Eric wine” to go with lamb and okra stew and it couldn’t have worked out better. I was expecting this to be aromatrically vibrant, but the complexity on the palate from the dark fruit to the olive like brininess and the mineral tang of structure. The tannin are so filigreed and fine, you almost don’t notice them, until you do. After a couple of hours, the structure starts to show in the last tastes which says that there is still upside to be had. Really impressive. (93 pts.)

John, I too have found these to be super bright and tight in their youth, even warmer vintages.

I had some trepidation for fear of needing to wrestle it for a few hours. Happy to report otherwise…and having a few more downstairs.

RT

Is he still making it? I have casually watched for 2015 and 2016 but no luck so far, the St.-Julien en St.-Alban (not vieille serine Domain Pergaud) shows up on WS.

I miss David Z [berserker.gif]
But unlike him, I love Texier wines.

Yeah, he slowed the release schedule. The 2014 of both red Pergaud are what is currently in the market. They are beautiful wines, BTW.

Chambers seems no longer to be carrying many or any of his wines. Weird, since they were a big supporter of his.

I think the Texier sells out quickly, not like it used to be.

Yes I noticed that too. I wonder if they now sell on allocation offline. I never bought much Texier from them - did from others - so I don’t get that email.

The Pergaud stuff is sometimes allocated now. He also has more demand from other markets. I know for a fact that there is no rift with Chambers.

OK. That’s good to hear.

Anyone checked in on the 2012 recently?

Good, but too young.

2012 Eric Texier Côtes du Rhône Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban Vieille Serine Domaine de Pergaud - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côtes du Rhône Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban (9/16/2019)
Oops. Given my success with the 2011 Brézème Pergaud recently I thought the more solar vintage form the earlier maturing St.J-St.A site would be open for business. Not really. The pedigree and depth of the wine is apparent, but the structure dominates today and not even a ton of coaxing will bring it fully out. That being ssaid, it was still enjoyable and if I didn’t know what more ready bottles of this tasted like I would have been happy. I don’t think it’s that far, maybe 2-3 years before I should dip back in but it looks like I’ve been drinking one a year, so that’ll probably happen. (91 pts.)

Glad to read the TNs on the 2010.

I’ve also “been patiently waiting for these to come around.”

I drank through a 6 pack too young but so good young

I only have 1 magnum left, and will need to wait even more patiently :slight_smile:.

You are off course right about this, but normally I find Brezeme more approachable than Saint-Julien-en-Saint-Alban Vieille Serine from the same vintage