2016 screaming eagle the flight

My friend just got an offer for the 2016 screaming eagle the flight. I can’t seem to find any reviews on it. Can anyone help or pass along what they know? Any info will help if I decide to take any.

Thanks
Mike

There are at least three professional, though copyrighted, reviews on the wine.

Ya I don’t want to pay to see them lol

Price ?

And does buying move you up the list ?

1650 a 3pk. I’m not on the List. My friend that has the offer for 6 bottles is. I don’t think they have an affect on regular screaming eagle but could be wrong

Troll thread, right?

[scratch.gif]

If you’re considering it, why would someone else’s notes matter? What if they said it wasn’t up to the 2013? Would you pass?

The 2016 vintage was a pretty good vintage. Galloni said it was the best since 2013! And that’s pretty far back. In 2018 he said it was the second best of the decade!

So if you figure that it’s been given pretty high scores by people who were given the opportunity to taste it and don’t want to bite the hand that feeds them, I’d say rev up the helicopter and head on over!

Sorry not trolling. I Just like to see ratings and notes from the well known reviewers before dropping 500+ on a bottle. I’m sure it’s fantastic I just like some reassurance

Well, if you are after points you’ll get them in spades. Not perfect but close enough.

$500 plus for a bottle and you do not want to pay for a professional review. Kind of like complaining about the shipping cost.

Tough Crowd, I better be careful…
$550/bt, plus they charge I think $150 for shipping - it actually costs us about $35.oo to ship the same package with Fedex… or $50.oo
plus tax… all total your coming close to $1,900… Or…
Wine Advocate - 97+ - Composed roughly of two-thirds Merlot with 5% Cabernet Franc and the rest
Cabernet Sauvignon, the medium to deep colored 2016 The Flight opens with
bold, expressive notions of wild blueberries, warm plums and boysenberries
with touches of black raspberries, spice cake, violets, dark chocolate and
potpourri with a hint of menthol. Full-bodied, rich, spicy and jam-packed with
energy, it has beautifully plush tannins texturing the multilayered blue and
black fruits, delivering a very long, perfumed nish.

I don’t get the point of the professional tasting note for a Napa Cult… either you’re willing to pay for it or not.

I mean the note that Will posted can be applied to the vast majority of napa cults no? “bold, expressive, plums, black raspberries, violets, dark chocolate… fll bodied, rich, jame-packed, plush tannins, multilayer blue/black fruit, long finish”??

Was anyone thinking the review will read “over extracted, over oaked, plonk…”??

I think he was looking for the score, making sure he wasn’t paying $650 for a 96. But I agree if this is something you have to think about more than a couple seconds it better be a pass.

I’m not a professional wine critic, however, a client opened a bottle for me a few years back whilst in his restaurant in Singapore and I thought I was drinking a Liquid Jam. No layers, no texture nor dimension, as opposed to say the 2 Red Bordeaux shared with me last week of 1989 Lynch Bages and 1999 Ch. Palmer which are so full of dimensions , that you just go off on a magical mystery tour of your senses.

Haha. I haven’t had screagle but I heard that’s actually a well made restrained yet powerful cab. I guess second flight isn’t that.

Sorry, it was Screaming EAgle I should have stated, I’ve never tasted the 2nd wine.

Vinous Media, Antonio Galloni, rated the 2016 The Flight 98 points (drinking window 2024-2036) and Screaming Eagle 100 points. He tasted it in 10/18 and posted his review on 12/18. Unfortunately, I am unable to copy and paste from my Vinous app to post the review. Hope this helps with your purchasing decision.

The highest rating AG has given the Second Flight (now The Flight) has been 95pt (2013). His review of the 2016 makes it quite attractive.

The 2016 The Flight is gorgeous. Dark, brooding and closed in on itself, the 2016 is going to need a number of years to be at its very best, but it is incredibly beguiling today. Plum, black cherry, lavender, blood orange menthol, and a host of more mineral-driven notes punctuate this super-expressive wine. This is a decidedly tannic and powerful edition of The Flight. I can’t wait to see how it ages. Bottled just six weeks before this tasting, the 2016 appears to have a very bright future. Time in the glass brings out some of the softer edges that will almost surely emerge with cellaring. The Flight is built on a core of older Merlot vines from the southeast corner of the estate. It is an absolutely riveting wine from Screaming Eagle. AG98

If you have to ask. . .

I can think of a few reasons. (I) you want to buy something special to tuck away in your collection for a few big moments but know that sometimes a well known cult may decline, have a bad year, etc. and don’t want to spend big money on a missed mark; (II) you want to flip the wine and a 100 point score is worth much more than a 97 point score, or at least used to be; (III) you want to learn more about the style of the wine. Isn’t one thing that differentiates Screagle from some others, like Hundred Acre, is that that it carries a lighter profile with more red fruit, as opposed to ink black 15.5% abv glycerin laden stewed plum bomb?

I was gifted an 89 Lynch Bages by a client last week. Pristine and well stored he owned it since release flirtysmile