Best Wine List of any US Brewery? Suggestions welcome on improvements.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Justin Bonner

Best Wine List of any US Brewery? Suggestions welcome on improvements.

#1 Post by Justin Bonner » September 17th, 2019, 2:22 pm

So I began assembling a wine cellar at my brewery taproom/restaurant early last year. Admittedly, it is short on CA wines (based on my personal preferences) and Bordeaux (based on high wholesale prices for BDX in MD) and heavy on Burgundy and Rhone. The concept is to keep prices reasonable for most as compared to current market but also enough margin to be able to offer regulars a standard discount from listed pricing. Wines are served in a casual setting in that the bottle is presented, opened and once tasted.....is left at the table with glasses to enjoy. We don't offer table service, but rather, have a beer hall/fast casual feel. What apparent holes do you see in this list? Open to suggestions. Thanks!
Attachments
Jailbreak-List.pdf
(89.99 KiB) Downloaded 303 times

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Best Wine List of any US Brewery? Suggestions welcome on improvements.

#2 Post by bradkaplan » September 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Wait a minute - is this for the brewpub that serves burgers, tacos, and flatbreads? It seems wildly off target if so. (but yeah, those are some nice wines!)
www.ThirstySouth.com

Michael Martin
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Michael Martin » September 17th, 2019, 4:14 pm

You need more affordable wines. Something you can buy for $30-$50/ bottle. I would recommend some inexpensive Gigondas and the surrounding Cotes du Ventoux. Usually nice QPR’s.

Justin Bonner

#4 Post by Justin Bonner » September 17th, 2019, 4:46 pm

bradkaplan wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Wait a minute - is this for the brewpub that serves burgers, tacos, and flatbreads? It seems wildly off target if so. (but yeah, those are some nice wines!)
Hey now, not just any burgers, tacos and flatbreads. Everything made fresh daily neener But seriously, we sell a good bit of lower end wine by the glass (the $15-35/btl variety) but then very little demand beyond that until you get to the $200+ per bottle category. We have a bit of an underground following for high end wine and spirits. Its a bit like those random dive bar Burgundy joints who have DRC and Raveneau on the list. Not something you see often in the US.

ClarkstonMark
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by ClarkstonMark » September 17th, 2019, 5:01 pm

I assume the $2-3k wine(s) are for a regular or 2 who actually buy them, otherwise why have them?
And you need more aged Bordeaux :)
Mark Cronmiller
White Lake, MI

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by B. Buzzini » September 17th, 2019, 5:04 pm

Need Zins! Turley, Bedrock, Carlisle, more Ridge...
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

T. Williams

#7 Post by T. Williams » September 17th, 2019, 6:09 pm

Here are my initial thoughts:
1. More Riesling options (both affordable and delicious with just about any food choice)
2. More Beaujolais (again affordable and drink well young. A lot of the wines on your list sound great in a decade)
3. Gotta get 1 affordable white champagne on the list, even if it’s a a mediocre bottle.
4. More CA Zin/field blends

Overall awesome looking list that I’d swoon over if I saw and wasn’t expecting. So much better than lists that are filled with affordable but obscure wines. Where is the Brewery?

TW
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Mark Y » September 17th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Why is the 09 Dom $50 more than the krug NV? The krug a good deal :)

That’s a killer list. Not sure if you have the regulars to buy that at a brewery but if you do, what a treat!
Y.e.

Nathan V.

#9 Post by Nathan V. » September 17th, 2019, 7:14 pm

Lots of boxes to check there. If you're going for the full Monty, you'll need some DRC, Selosse, Rayas, Mascarello (B), Soldera, and WTF, some Noval Nacional.

You must sell an assload of KL and Wildman BTG to get those allocations! Well done!

That Beaucastel and Faury Cote Rotie are great prices for someone paying attention. Both are probably killer with the burgers (although the Dal Forno with burgers is probably even better and I'll definitely do that next time I'm in Naptown). Do you do MD pit beef? The Beaucastel would be great with that. I really miss a good pit beef sandwich.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Justin Bonner

#10 Post by Justin Bonner » September 17th, 2019, 7:16 pm

Given we're a brewery, the vast majority of our alcohol sales is beer. We do, though, have healthy wine by the glass sales as well as pours of spirits. Ive tried to feature wine sales by the bottle of more affordable offerings but it didnt do well. The high end seems to be of larger interest to our corporate clients and wine geek friends. Unfortunately, MD is a three tier state so getting older releases is difficult which is why most selections are more current vintages. As I build the list and over time, I might opt to incorporate a wine/spirits bar as a separate component of our current operation. Given the scarcity of some of these bottles and the hurdles needed to overcome just to get a single bottle of many of these, the list will take a while to build to any great extent.

Nathan V.

#11 Post by Nathan V. » September 17th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Justin Bonner wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:16 pm
Given we're a brewery, the vast majority of our alcohol sales is beer. We do, though, have healthy wine by the glass sales as well as pours of spirits. Ive tried to feature wine sales by the bottle of more affordable offerings but it didnt do well. The high end seems to be of larger interest to our corporate clients and wine geek friends. Unfortunately, MD is a three tier state so getting older releases is difficult which is why most selections are more current vintages. As I build the list and over time, I might opt to incorporate a wine/spirits bar as a separate component of our current operation. Given the scarcity of some of these bottles and the hurdles needed to overcome just to get a single bottle of many of these, the list will take a while to build to any great extent.
Pretty amazing that you've already done enough KL and Wildman business to have what you do already. That's a great start.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Justin Bonner

#12 Post by Justin Bonner » September 17th, 2019, 7:18 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:14 pm
Lots of boxes to check there. If you're going for the full Monty, you'll need some DRC, Selosse, Rayas, Mascarello (B), Soldera, and WTF, some Noval Nacional.

You must sell an assload of KL and Wildman BTG to get those allocations! Well done!

That Beaucastel and Faury Cote Rotie are great prices for someone paying attention. Both are probably killer with the burgers (although the Dal Forno with burgers is probably even better and I'll definitely do that next time I'm in Naptown). Do you do MD pit beef? The Beaucastel would be great with that. I really miss a good pit beef sandwich.
We feature many locally raised meats. Our next investment will be a meat aging locker. The goal is long dry aged philly cheesesteaks.

Nathan V.

#13 Post by Nathan V. » September 17th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Justin Bonner wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:18 pm
Nathan V. wrote:

We feature many locally raised meats. Our next investment will be a meat aging locker. The goal is long dry aged philly cheesesteaks.
I really want to open a MD pit beef spot down here in NC. Either I'm a genius or lighting $$ on fire.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Kris Patten » September 17th, 2019, 7:28 pm

Without knowing the style of beer you produce and clientele you attract. For me, more $75-125 Bourgogne Blanc, Chablis, etc...Cru Bojo...along with some still Rose, Ca. Zin, a NV champagne or 2 like Charles Heidsieck or Taittinger.

Basically interesting entry level wines to get people to go Grand Cru, Tete de Cuvee, etc....

I would rid myself of the seemingly random selections from Argentina, Veneto, Abruzzo, Sweet and Fortified selections, they seem out of place and add to a mixed message the wine list delivers. It needs focus, then depth of vintage and price point, pick your regions and own them.

I would definitely frequent your brewery all points aside.
Last edited by Kris Patten on September 17th, 2019, 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ITB

Jeremy C
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Jeremy C » September 17th, 2019, 7:39 pm

Quibbling aside, I find that to be a pretty impressive wine list for a brewery.
Cuth.bert.son

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Craig G » September 18th, 2019, 6:56 am

Very nice list, Justin! Would love to go there.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Rick Allen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Rick Allen » September 18th, 2019, 7:59 am

That's a great list for any restaurant. For a Brew Pub I would worry (in my part of the world) that the wines are too high-end for my patrons. I would want to have a BTG option that was somewhere around $9-10/glass. We are just a tap room (no restaurant), and we offer two wines, both of which come from a keg - Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay and Cameron Spritz (lightly carbonated Pinot Blanc & Pinot Noir) that we sell BTG for $7. The wines are served in Riedel Burgundy glasses.

B. Buzzini
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by B. Buzzini » September 18th, 2019, 8:08 am

Where's the SQN? [wow.gif]
Meursault-head!

B. = Brian

Justin Bonner

#19 Post by Justin Bonner » September 18th, 2019, 9:11 am

Rick Allen wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 7:59 am
That's a great list for any restaurant. For a Brew Pub I would worry (in my part of the world) that the wines are too high-end for my patrons. I would want to have a BTG option that was somewhere around $9-10/glass. We are just a tap room (no restaurant), and we offer two wines, both of which come from a keg - Goodfellow Ribbon Ridge Chardonnay and Cameron Spritz (lightly carbonated Pinot Blanc & Pinot Noir) that we sell BTG for $7. The wines are served in Riedel Burgundy glasses.
We have five BTG options at $7-10 per 5oz pour (4 from keg) plus two rotating premium BTG offerings that are kept on a Coravin. All served in Reidel glasses. These accommodate the general non beer consumer who happens to come with a group or with a signicant other. They move fairly well at about 150-200 glasses per week. From there, our wine consumers show a gap in the mid to low high tier range and pick back up at the “collectible” bottle tier. We’ve tried the value bottles and mid tier but the bottles never move. I’d sell more Rousseau and Raveneau than well priced CA cabs, chards and mid tier French selections. Most of our prices are 1.4-2x wholesale with a few gems being higher.

Justin Bonner

#20 Post by Justin Bonner » September 18th, 2019, 9:12 am

B. Buzzini wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 8:08 am
Where's the SQN? [wow.gif]
If only they had distribution in MD😢

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Chris Seiber » September 18th, 2019, 9:13 am

I'd love to see restaurants carry more QPR Bordeaux. In stronger vintages, there are so many good wines from there in the $15-30 price at retail, which are easy to obtain, can drink reasonably well young, have crossover appeal to new word palates and other people who don't regularly drink Bordeaux, go pretty well with food, have much more character than supermarket industrial wines, etc.

With normal restaurant markups, those kinds of wines could be $35-75 on a wine list, within the range of many diners. It would be a great option at Justin's place.

Yet you very rarely see them on restaurant lists. Most Bordeaux on restaurant lists are one or more of (a) expensive wines with huge markups, (b) if not recent vintages, then hugely marked up for being older, (c) random lower quality producers, and (d) off vintages. I can only figure that they don't want you to be able to get a nice bottle of Bordeaux for $60 with your dinner, and would rather force you to pay more.

Hank Victor
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Hank Victor » September 18th, 2019, 9:31 am

I think the list is great. As a consumer I would love a brew pub like this near me.
- ITB
Take a chance, Columbus did..

"Two years away from being two years away”

DanielP

#23 Post by DanielP » September 18th, 2019, 10:32 am

I just made a note of this for next time I drive down to DC. Pricing and selection is fantastic.
P@ik

John Ammons

#24 Post by John Ammons » September 18th, 2019, 11:03 am

That list is insane for a brewery! People actually walk into a brewery ready to buy wine by the bottle at well north of $100?

Interesting that the 2013 Marcassin Chardonnay went through distribution prior to being offered directly to customers.

More importantly, how's the hazy IPA? Ever do anything with Southern Hemisphere hops, specifically Nelson?

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 18th, 2019, 12:50 pm

My question is, why the hell haven't I been to your place yet? Soon
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

greg gartland

#26 Post by greg gartland » September 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm

please post pics when someone buys the petrus and you plop it on the table with a couple glasses.

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Mike Kuller » September 18th, 2019, 2:22 pm

B. Buzzini wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Need Zins! Turley, Bedrock, Carlisle, more Ridge...
Definitely.

Where is the wine-by-the-glass menu?

Turley Juvenile, Bedrock Old Vines, Bedrock Heritage...
No Vino Sin Cojones

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Mike Kuller » September 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm

Justin Bonner wrote:
Nathan V. wrote:

People who eat Philly cheese steaks will be able to tell the difference smothered in Velveeta, mushrooms and onions?

Not likely.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm

greg gartland wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm
please post pics when someone buys the petrus and you plop it on the table with a couple glasses.
Steins

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Mike Kuller » September 18th, 2019, 3:40 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm
greg gartland wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 1:22 pm
Steins
Frosted mug.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Jason T » September 18th, 2019, 4:05 pm

John Ammons wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 11:03 am
That list is insane for a brewery! People actually walk into a brewery ready to buy wine by the bottle at well north of $100?
I’m into craft beer, though not nearly as much as I am into wine. Given enough “inspiration” from the beer I can totally see plunking down for a nice bottle. It scratches a couple of itches - the inner wine geek, the somewhat subversive nature of drinking great wine in a beer joint.

PS.... and I’d use the wine to wash down a dry-aged cheese steak. And I don’t even like cheese steaks.
J@son Tr@ughber

Justin Bonner

#32 Post by Justin Bonner » September 18th, 2019, 8:38 pm

Mike Kuller wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 2:26 pm
Justin Bonner wrote:
Nathan V. wrote:

People who eat Philly cheese steaks will be able to tell the difference smothered in Velveeta, mushrooms and onions?

Not likely.
If you ever had an artisanal dry aged cheesesteak, you’d know there’s nothing so decadent existing in such a culinary experience. BDX and Rhône are my go to’s when happening upon such an opportunity.

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Kris Patten » September 18th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Justin Bonner wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 9:11 am
Rick Allen wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 7:59 am
We have five BTG options at $7-10 per 5oz pour (4 from keg) plus two rotating premium BTG offerings that are kept on a Coravin. All served in Reidel glasses. These accommodate the general non beer consumer who happens to come with a group or with a signicant other. They move fairly well at about 150-200 glasses per week. From there, our wine consumers show a gap in the mid to low high tier range and pick back up at the “collectible” bottle tier. We’ve tried the value bottles and mid tier but the bottles never move. I’d sell more Rousseau and Raveneau than well priced CA cabs, chards and mid tier French selections. Most of our prices are 1.4-2x wholesale with a few gems being higher.
For the wine list, your glass pours are too cheap.
ITB

Thomas Keim
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Thomas Keim » September 19th, 2019, 3:55 pm

I have a brewery/wine bar/restaurant in Saint Paul Minnesota. We produce Bavarian styled beers on premise and also import some small Bavarian breweries. We offer 10-12 wines by the glass - all $8.00 or less, and offer 100 wines by the bottle, all under $40 a bottle. This is the perfect price range for non-beer drinkers (who you will service just as much as the everyday wine drinkers).

YOERG BREWING COMPANY
https://yoergbeer.com/home

WINE LIST
https://0n.b5z.net/i/u/10228756/f/wine_ ... 2019_2.pdf

And we are featured on MPR this month -

ITB - The Yoerg Brewing Company

"What if I fall?" "Oh, but my darling, what if you fly?"

Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Neal.Mollen » September 19th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Thomas Keim wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:55 pm
I have a brewery/wine bar/restaurant in Saint Paul Minnesota. We produce Bavarian styled beers on premise and also import some small Bavarian breweries. We offer 10-12 wines by the glass - all $8.00 or less, and offer 100 wines by the bottle, all under $40 a bottle. This is the perfect price range for non-beer drinkers (who you will service just as much as the everyday wine drinkers).

YOERG BREWING COMPANY

WINE LIST

Great to put a face to an avatar!

Alan Rath
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by Alan Rath » September 19th, 2019, 4:29 pm

Justin, that's a really interesting - and fairly priced - list. Wish you were out here. I'm a big fan of Austrian Riesling, which might be a nice addition. I hope you'll be able to hold some of those Burgundy and Rhone bottles back to allow them to age a bit.
I'm just one lost soul, swimming in a fish bowl, year after year

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#37 Post by Robert M yers » September 19th, 2019, 8:46 pm

Might as well go all in...:)

viewtopic.php?p=2812742#p2812742

Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Kris Patten » September 19th, 2019, 8:53 pm

Neal.Mollen wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 4:08 pm
Thomas Keim wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 3:55 pm

YOERG BREWING COMPANY

WINE LIST

Great to put a face to an avatar!
No one ever looks like I picture them!
ITB

Justin Bonner

#39 Post by Justin Bonner » September 20th, 2019, 5:49 am

The joy of ordering so much high end is having the opportunity to sample so many value wines within great portfolios. I discovered Servin Chablis 1ers which is amazing wine in the sub $30 range as well as Jean Marc Brocard Chablis at sub $20.

Return to “Wine Talk”