TNs: A Visit to the Tasting Room of Grassini Vineyards --- out of Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara

Not detailed herein was a Rose of which we bought a bottle, and later consumed. It was very good, and would have been in the conversation as my favorite wine of the tasting had it been poured; TN forthcoming on that one.

2018 Grassini Family Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (8/24/2019)
– Tasted a single pour non-blind in the tasting room –

Stone fruits, specifically peach, on the Nose, along with a hint of honeysuckle. Medium-light bodied, with medium acidity. Stone fruits and floral notes from Nose are repeated on the palate. 13.2% alc. not noticeable. Aged in stainless steel. Very nice, if not a bit expensive relative to other Sauv. Blancs of similar quality; nonetheless, not a bad expenditure of money to buy this wine. This was my favorite wine of the tasting.

2016 Grassini Family Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc Reserve - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (8/24/2019)

Melon – cantaloupe – on the Nose. Not as aromatically-expressive as the 2018 Happy Canyon Sauvignon Blanc that immediately preceded this wine in the tasting. Medium bodied with medium+ acidity. Somewhat creamy, likely owing to the barrel-aging regimen this saw (aged for 1.5 years in oak, 15% new). 13.3% alc. not noticeable. This is “soft” compared to the '18 Happy Canyon bottling, which I do prefer over this barrel-aged bottling.

2016 Grassini Family Vineyards Articondo - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (8/24/2019)
– 50% Cabernet Sauvignon; 35% Petit Verdot; 15% Cabernet Franc–

Very young/purple color – looks like Welch’s grape juice; color is of medium depth. Smells very young and fruity – red-fruited. Medium bodied with some oaky tannin. Red-fruited. 14.9% alc. is spiky, and the finish is short. Seems to be o.k., but not a style I prefer.

2015 Grassini Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (8/24/2019)

Young purple color of medium depth. Strawberry jam and banana (oak) on the Nose. Medium-full bodied on the palate. Very spiky, perhaps from the alcohol (14.5% labelled). Heavy oak. More “traditional Cabernet Sauvignon” than previous wine, which was a Bdx. blend. Again, not my style — too ripe and too oaky.

2015 Grassini Family Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Reserve - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (8/24/2019)

Boysenberry on the Nose, which seems more complex than the Estate Cabernet immediately preceding this one. Medium-full to full bodied. Oaky, very ripe, and tannic. All oaky tannins on the finish. 14.5% alc… It’s o.k. — again, made in style that seems heavy-handed with the ripeness and oak.

2016 Grassini Family Vineyards Merlot Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Happy Canyon of Santa Barbara (8/24/2019)

Savory and red-fruited on the Nose — primarily crushed, sugared, strawberries. Medium to medium-full bodied. Red-fruited on the palate. Easily my favorite of the reds we tasted, but way too expensive for me to consider purchasing.

I’d be curious to know if you have also tasted the Grassini Sauvignon Blanc at Dragonette Cellars? I’m always curious about the differences in winemaking styles for the same vineyard and also the differences in the blocks at the same vineyard.

I haven’t, Jessyca. Sorry.

I know that there are 32 different blocks at this vineyard among the 35 acres planted, but unfortunately could not find specific information about what is planted in each block.

Now why would a winery plant that many blocks, including multiple ones for each variety? Could be the use of different clones, different rootstocks, different aspects within the vineyard.

Both Bradley at Grassini and the team at Dragonette are quite talented winemakers each making distinctive wines. I’m sure that there are differences in oak treatment vs stainless steel from both of these wineries, as well as the potential for different block selections. I believe others also source SB from here so you may want to check that out.

Of course, the best way to try to determine differences is to go direct to the source - and then try a bunch of these side by side.

Cheers!.