A Humble Evening at Bern's, Some Observations, and the Omnipresence of Rolland in My Life

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: A Humble Evening at Bern's, Some Observations, and the Omnipresence of Rolland in My Life

#51 Post by Brian Tuite » September 18th, 2019, 1:29 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Mmmmmmm ... my desire to someday check out Bern's is waning. Thanks for the write-up, Robert.
Plenty of interesting stuff for a newbie.
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Siun o'Connell
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: A Humble Evening at Bern's, Some Observations, and the Omnipresence of Rolland in My Life

#52 Post by Siun o'Connell » September 18th, 2019, 4:37 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 9:34 am
Siun -

Hit the bar first and check out their "Wine by the Glass" section. They almost always have some really cool old stuff for dirt cheap. it's the Somms' way of clearing out old stuff that may be past prime and having fun. Last time I was there, had some very decent 1979 Cornas, 1974 Mondavi Zin and a 1987 Cab from a classic Napa producer whose name now escapes me. The Cornas and Zin were $10 and the Cab was $15.

You don't have to spend a ton on wine to have fun there. Look for no-name Cru Bordeaux, Zins, and alternative varietals.
Thanks for such good advice ... will definitely do. It should be pretty perfect since my dinner companions definitely enjoy fun American experiences ... this seems classic.

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 18th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Brian Tuite wrote:
September 18th, 2019, 1:29 pm
September 16th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Mmmmmmm ... my desire to someday check out Bern's is waning. Thanks for the write-up, Robert.
Plenty of interesting stuff for a newbie.
You’re calling Graf s t r o m a newbie?

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#54 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 18th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Newbie to Bern's.
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 19th, 2019, 4:37 am

Been once, and thought the steaks really mediocre I am afraid. But did get some fun wines from the list, in fact it is precisely those ancient oddities that made the trip worthwhile. I do hope they still exist, although a close friend with similar tastes to mine struggled.
ITB

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#56 Post by bradkaplan » September 19th, 2019, 4:52 am

Always fun to look at the by-the-glass menu - last time I was there you could get a '83 Bouchard Julienas for $4.55 a glass!!! Listed right above Apothic "Sweet Red Blend" at $6.90!!!
www.ThirstySouth.com

Brian Tuite
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Brian Tuite » September 19th, 2019, 5:37 am

September 18th, 2019, 7:19 pm
Newbie to Bern's.
^^ What he said ^^
Bob Wood - 1949-2013 Berserker for eternity! RIP

"On self-reflection, I think a big part of it was me just being a PITA customer..." ~ Anonymous Berserker

"Something so subtle only I can detect it." ~ Randy Bowman

2019 WOTY...

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 19th, 2019, 5:46 am

Lots of debate, and opinion, on the steaks. I get stuck at a lot of these “business-place” steak joints like Cap Grille, Ruth’s Chris, Fleming’s, etc. I’d take Bern’s steaks over any of them, any day. Love the dry aged steaks and almost always cooked to perfection. They even have two levels of rare for those, like me, that like sushi grade!

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 19th, 2019, 7:03 am

Probably spoilt by Flannery and Peter Luger.
ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 19th, 2019, 7:13 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 7:03 am
Or, just spoiled.

Pass the VCC . . . .

[cheers.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Kelly Flynn

#61 Post by Kelly Flynn » September 19th, 2019, 7:15 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
Keen's is the way to roll in nyc. IMHO.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 19th, 2019, 7:53 am

Gone through them all. Sparks used to be second and I put Keens on a par with Ben Benson, and Bobby Van at its best, and far better than Smith and Wollensky. I do go there for the mutton chop.

That being said, Flannery at home s the best.
ITB

Kelly Flynn

#63 Post by Kelly Flynn » September 19th, 2019, 8:11 am

I haven't been to Sparks in years, but I remember being frequently impressed with the (relative) value on their wine list.

When I first moved to nyc in 1990, every time I talked to my Dad he would implore me never to go to Sparks, since Paul Castellano was assassinated there.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#64 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 19th, 2019, 8:45 am

I wouldn’t worry. Those mobsters are good shots. I used to drink Barca Velha 1981 there for around $60.

They used to have a great wine list and excellent steaks. Both are a shadow of what they used to be. Luger has a lousy wine list but magnificent steaks. No BYO, so I drink beer there.
ITB

Jeff_M.

#65 Post by Jeff_M. » September 19th, 2019, 8:49 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
I like Wolfgang's when I am in NYC
Jeff M 0 l l

John J
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by John J » September 19th, 2019, 9:19 am

I live in the Tampa Bay area. Awesome to be able to pop in for an early dinner at the bar. The deals for red burg are still there if you look, but the true gems in value are in other areas (ex. american syrah). Somm. Eric Renault is undefeated in finding to something at my price point to make me smile.
J. Johnson

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#67 Post by Howard Cooper » September 19th, 2019, 11:24 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 8:45 am
I wouldn’t worry. Those mobsters are good shots.
Yes, but I would rather any blood come from the Egri Bikavor and not the neighboring table.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Peter Panzica

#68 Post by Peter Panzica » September 20th, 2019, 12:23 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 19th, 2019, 7:53 am

That being said, Flannery at home s the best.
Big +1
I went to Bern's once and the steak didn't wow me but that's not why I went there. I asked for some unique wines and had a 1961 Bordeaux from an non classified vineyard and a 1976 Ridge Zin and something else I don't recall. Am I mistaken or is a lot of there wine store off site? If they rotate stuff through that may explain the hit or miss nature of what's available. Also I think if you tell them what your budget is they will match it and that explains the $500 PC. I wonder if you would have gotten the same bottle if you said $250? I'd go back if I found myself in the area but think prices have caught up on a lot of things. I remember a restaurant in NH that used to win WS top awards and have throwback prices of first and second growths that were so amazing until the cellar was eventually picked over and then sold. Great while it lasted but it is still fun to find the rare place where the prices are relatively undervalued. Otherwise BYO.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#69 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 20th, 2019, 12:57 pm

I think you said you were at Kittle House, also a major award winner, and some incredible prices. For years we would go there, and the first two wines were single vineyard Tempiers from the eighties and early nineties for $60. Then ‘02 Dujac for less than $200 etc

They have repriced the list since, but for a time it was like going to Aladdin’s cave.
ITB

ChristopherSK

#70 Post by ChristopherSK » September 20th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Mark, you still be a hatin on da Liberal Ho Bag?!?!?
Chri$toph3r S K0y$te

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 21st, 2019, 4:26 pm

ChristopherSK wrote:
September 20th, 2019, 1:30 pm
Mark, you still be a hatin on da Liberal Ho Bag?!?!?
Curious why you feel the need to bring that up in a completely different thread.

And if you read my comments you should be able to figure out two things.

1. I did not hate HBL. I gave it a score in the high eighties.
2. You were a complete ass in that thread.
ITB

MikeVenezia

#72 Post by MikeVenezia » October 5th, 2019, 4:28 pm

Al Osterheld wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 8:16 pm
Sheez, he likes Caymus. With sushi, he doesn't care.
About a year ago, I was with three of my wine friends at one of the best sushi places in the SF Bay area (small place, 9 seats at the counter). A couple who were there brought a 2000 Chateau Angelus.

-Al
Where is this sushi spot? In search of the best sushi in the Bay Area while we’re living here for the year!

Al Osterheld

#73 Post by Al Osterheld » October 5th, 2019, 5:22 pm

It's Sushi Yoshizumi, a very small Edomae style sushiya in San Mateo, I think nine seats and two seatings (although sometimes seats are used for extended menus for the whole evening). When it opened it was a screaming good deal. I think it's still a good deal for the level of food but will be viewed as pricey by some.

-Al

Return to “Wine Talk”