The Tale of an Aged La Tâche

I was rummaging around the cellar last week and found an old bottle without a label or capsule, that had leaked quite badly. Around 15 years ago, I bought a parcel of old Burgs out of Paris that included a couple of old DRC’s and I suspected it was one of these. I took the bottle upstairs, got out the high-powered torch and discovered it was a 1948 La Tâche. It had lost around a third of its contents but the colour still looked good. Last night we drank it with great success.

1948 Domaine de la Romanée-Conti La Tâche, Grand Cru: There was a faint whiff of nutty aldehyde and plenty of iodine. It had the usual beef stock and Hoisin that I associate with La Tâche and a honeyed sweetness at its core. It was full, rich and heady, quite a powerful wine and one full of savoury nuance. It had a slippery, oyster like texture but was light on its feet and remained strong in the glass over a couple of hours. Length was very good.

Oh baby! Glad the bottle showed well

yea I am always rummaging around in the cellar and finding old DRC (not).
Pleased it showed well for you

It’s still not as good as Alan Weinberg’s rummaging in the cellar for DRC story.

Amazing, and great luck.

I often go to the cellar and find a 70 yr old bottle of LT that I have forgotten about…in my dreams!!

amazing how Burgundy tolerates ullage that kills more powerful wines.

Amazing indeed

Jeremy- great story. I would love to see a picture of the bottle with the fill.