If you have offsite storage, how many bottles do you keep at home

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Joel Singer
GCC Member
GCC Member

If you have offsite storage, how many bottles do you keep at home

#1 Post by Joel Singer » September 15th, 2019, 1:59 pm

Currently, I have a cellar in my house, but I'm planning to transition to new house and rely on offsite storage for the bulk of my wine. The offsite storage is convenient to the new house (10-15 minute drive), but I will want to keep a selection of bottles at home. For people whose primary storage is offsite, I was wondering how many bottles do you keep at home and where do you keep them. Thanks!
Vinojoe

Andrew A r n t f i e l d

Re: If you have offsite storage, how many bottles do you keep at home

#2 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » September 15th, 2019, 2:08 pm

About 40% of my wine is stored off-site in climate-controlled case storage near the airport. It’s all wine that needs more time.

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 15th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Almost all my wine is off-site. I have a 60-bottle fridge in my house, a 50-bottle fridge in my office, and boxes everywhere. My strategy sucks but the wine is safe.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 15th, 2019, 2:26 pm

I keep ~300 bottles at home in a large wine cabinet in my office, with ~25 bottles in an under counter kitchen fridge. No rationale as to that amount other than I don’t have to pay fees to store it offsite. The rest of my stuff is offsite or sitting at retailers waiting to ship (a little over 700 bottles total).

Steve L Gellman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by Steve L Gellman » September 15th, 2019, 2:26 pm

It fluctuates, anywhere between 50 to 100

Mike S.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by Mike S. » September 15th, 2019, 2:55 pm

About 50..Some white burgs, some champagne, a few Germans, some pinot, some bordeaux, some cab and a sweet wine
Michael Silverman

AndyK

#7 Post by AndyK » September 15th, 2019, 3:01 pm

I think 200 is the minimum... I don’t want to have to go to storage all the time and dig through boxes just to refill the fridge. Plus I like to have options and keep my nice bottles in reach, just in case :)
k0berl

josh bryer

#8 Post by josh bryer » September 15th, 2019, 5:23 pm

Up until now I’ve always just had a small fridge with 30 or so bottles at home with most everything off site. It’s always been a problem and definitely not ideal. I’m about to get a LeCache modular wine room for the house and will initially have about 400 bottles that I’ll bring back as stuff I’m ready to consume now or in the short term.

Tariq K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Tariq K » September 15th, 2019, 5:29 pm

I keep about 12 bottles at home in a small wine fridge and 325 at an offsite location. I visit the offsite frequently enough that I can restock my home unit regularly.
Tariq K @ s s u m
Boston, MA
CT: tak4

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Cris Whetstone » September 15th, 2019, 6:03 pm

I have a small wine fridge at home now. I keep 30-45 bottles in there. The rest is offsite. It's not difficult to go to my offsite every month or so to get more for home if needed/wanted.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Joel Pulver

#11 Post by Joel Pulver » September 15th, 2019, 6:19 pm

Tariq K wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 5:29 pm
I keep about 12 bottles at home in a small wine fridge and 325 at an offsite location. I visit the offsite frequently enough that I can restock my home unit regularly.
+1

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by JonathanG » September 15th, 2019, 7:51 pm

Same as Tariq. 12-16 at home in a small wine fridge, 4 laying flat and 8-12 standing upright to let sediments settle. I move stuff to my house from storage when I intend to consume it in the next month or so.

Also anywhere between 24-48 of daily drinker type stuff that I'm not aging, and will be consumed in the next 6 -12 months. Generally inexpensive champagnes, and misc stuff I find at Costco.

Offsite storage is only 10 min away so its easy for me to pop in whenever I need to add a few more bottles to the fridge.
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Sh@n A » September 15th, 2019, 8:07 pm

I keep onsite (a) bottles to have handy for gifts or (b) bottles I intend to drink (not age, which is why the offsite exists...). I have 16 bottles unit in a closet (where I took the bottom shelf out so I can store bottles upright that I plan to drink over coming months/settle sediment etc.), a shelf in the refrigerator for sauternes and other bottles (call it 4-6) and then I have a box of a couple odd bottles for "daily drinkers" for gifts or low key visitors where wine is appreciated but doesn't need to be expensive (won't get cooked this way, but not ideal storage). If I could do things differently, I would have had a bigger wine fridge as 16 is just slightly too small... I would have liked a 20 storage unit (25% more options!) or 24 to free up the bridge/or closet space. But it works and I am happy... I imagine this is the low end of what someone would want. When weather cools down, I will take direct delivery of some bottles currently pending and just keep another 2 cases in the apartment. I can get deliveries from my offsite 2-3 days forward, so I haven't had issues obtaining wine.
Last edited by Sh@n A on September 15th, 2019, 8:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
/ @ g r @ \

Jayson Cohen

#14 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 15th, 2019, 8:30 pm

60 at home in an under the counter wine fridge, and it’s close to but not quite enough to be entirely practical. 100 would mean less juggling between off-site (~1350) and home.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by RyanC » September 15th, 2019, 8:34 pm

I have a 500-btl cabinet at home that's about 2/3 full. The rest is offsite.
C@ughey

IlkkaL

#16 Post by IlkkaL » September 15th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Around 160-170 normally. My strategy is to take all the bottles I am going to cellar for at least 5 years to the offsite.
Last name = L u !V! !V! e

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by SeanHarding » September 15th, 2019, 10:31 pm

About 250-300 at home between a Le Cache cabinet and a wine fridge in the kitchen.

cteague

#18 Post by cteague » September 16th, 2019, 12:32 am

I have around 300 off-site, and have a 40 bottle fridge at home. I try and keep the fridge total under 30, as that leaves enough space to stash a decanter. Off site is only a 2 minute drive away, which helps in keeping a low tally at home.
c h r i s

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#19 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 16th, 2019, 5:19 am

Interesting that many of you, like me, keep so few at home.

It used to not be an issue for me, as my storage facility was like 6 blocks away. When it closed, I shed some tears. Now my storage place is about 20 minutes away, no longer than convenient. The flip side is, I’m leaving some wines alone that I might otherwise be tempted to pop too early.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Jeff_M.

#20 Post by Jeff_M. » September 16th, 2019, 6:22 am

My cellar at home stores 470ish bottles. I can fudge that a few bottles in my bulk shelf space. I try to get the most expensive bottles home and everything I want to age long term into offsite. My collection is still mostly young so I'm filling space faster than I'm drinking. I expect to flip that in the next couple of years.
Jeff M 0 l l

Carlos Delpin

#21 Post by Carlos Delpin » September 16th, 2019, 6:34 am

My cellar is at the office so access is not an issue. At home I keep around 40 bottles composed of mostly weekday stuff plus a few choice bottles in case an impromptu tasting with friends pops up.

Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#22 Post by Jay Miller » September 16th, 2019, 7:57 am

Usually 50-60 at home (two 34 bottle wine fridges).
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

Bob Paul

#23 Post by Bob Paul » September 16th, 2019, 8:25 am

Our kitchen has a built in wine fridge that holds probably 140 bottles (it is usually not entirely full, but mostly). The rest is offsite.

Tariq K
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Tariq K » September 16th, 2019, 9:14 am

I have learned (the hard way) that the key to keeping a lean inventory at home is to ensure that your offsite cellar is organized by drinking date. Stuff to be aged goes in the back, stuff to be consumed goes in the front. That way you don't have to rummage through dozens of heavy boxes in order to find something that's actually palatable today. This dramatically shortens your cellar visits.

What this requires is an annual (or perhaps semi-annual) cellar reorganization, as well as some kind of consistent system for assessing readiness to drink (I use CT drinking dates as a rough guide). I assembled my 300 bottle collection over the last year in a completely haphazard fashion and it took a solid five hours to reorganize it a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need to work out after that.
IMG_8132r2.JPG
Tariq K @ s s u m
Boston, MA
CT: tak4

JFertitta

#25 Post by JFertitta » September 16th, 2019, 9:53 am

Tariq K wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:14 am
I have learned (the hard way) that the key to keeping a lean inventory at home is to ensure that your offsite cellar is organized by drinking date. Stuff to be aged goes in the back, stuff to be consumed goes in the front. That way you don't have to rummage through dozens of heavy boxes in order to find something that's actually palatable today. This dramatically shortens your cellar visits.

What this requires is an annual (or perhaps semi-annual) cellar reorganization, as well as some kind of consistent system for assessing readiness to drink (I use CT drinking dates as a rough guide). I assembled my 300 bottle collection over the last year in a completely haphazard fashion and it took a solid five hours to reorganize it a couple of weeks ago. I didn't need to work out after that.

IMG_8132r2.JPG
I use IWV in Stoughton...I wish I was as organized as you. I moved up to Boston in January and literally just said take everything since I live in Seaport and have no space for any wine.
Jeff

scamhi
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by scamhi » September 16th, 2019, 10:08 am

in Florida 108 bottles at home and a new offsite storage locker for 6 cases
in NY- about 1800 bottles at home (all actively cooled) and lots offsite in Clifton NJ
S u z a n n e C a m h i
instagram: suz_cam

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by joeduncan » September 16th, 2019, 11:06 am

Tariq K wrote:

IMG_8132r2.JPG
I had endless problems keeping track of and finding things with this method, plus it's a lot of work every so often to re-organize as you say. This past weekend I completely redid my offsite storage with cardboard tubes as some others have done on here. They're just stacked in a honeycomb and I can do 3 deep (maybe just 2 for riesling bottles). The capacity is actually a little better than I was getting with boxes before, and I have space for a few boxes in front too! It's a *much* better system. I use cellartracker bins alphanumerically for row/column (ie., D5, 4th row of tubes down, 5 across) to track where things are.

To answer the original question, around 100 at home in a Eurocave, the rest offsite.

Matt Latuchie
GCC Member
GCC Member

#28 Post by Matt Latuchie » September 16th, 2019, 1:39 pm

150 at home consisting of easy drinking wines with a couple nicer bottles mixed in. The rest is offsite, 1,800 miles away...have to work on that.
CellarTracker: tooch
Instagram: mattlatuchie
philadelphia eagles football

GregT

#29 Post by GregT » September 16th, 2019, 3:10 pm

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 5:19 am
Interesting that many of you, like me, keep so few at home.

It used to not be an issue for me, as my storage facility was like 6 blocks away. When it closed, I shed some tears. Now my storage place is about 20 minutes away, no longer than convenient. The flip side is, I’m leaving some wines alone that I might otherwise be tempted to pop too early.
I figure you need at least a hundred or so at home. But a lot depends on where your off site is.

I have one about ten minutes away but they close at 4 on weekends. And I have another, with most of my wine, about 60 miles away that I haven't seen for years.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

jeffruggels
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by jeffruggels » September 16th, 2019, 3:39 pm

about 40 at home, 2.5%

Cris Whetstone
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Cris Whetstone » September 17th, 2019, 5:42 pm

Tariq K wrote:

This is exactly what I do in my offsite. And for the same reasons. I use cardboard boxes numbered as bins in CT. It's a great way to bury things I don't want to touch for a while. Every year or two I do a full inventory and re-org some things for drinking windows.
WetRock

"Man prefers to believe what he prefers to be true." - Francis Bacon

"I had taken two finger-bowls of champagne and the scene had changed before my eyes into something significant, elemental, and profound." - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

Dan Kravitz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Dan Kravitz » September 17th, 2019, 6:01 pm

I'm not really relevant as I'm ITB and usually about half of what I own is in my warehouse in PA.

I have about 500 bottles in the basement in Maine and about the same in the warehouse, most of which needs age. I have plenty of room in the basement if I ever want to bring it all home and it's a pretty impeccable environment, floor temp fluctuating over the year from 42 - 65.

Dan Kravitz
swillmaster - ITB

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Bob Hoelting » September 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm

Home inventory fluctuates between 150-200 bottles which we keep in three different coolers: A 180-bottle Dometic, mostly for reds and over size; a 56-bottle Vinotemp for whites and dessert wines, and a 26-bottle beverage cooler that I run at 47 degrees for ready-to-drink blancs and bubblies.

Offsite is a 50-case locker which I'll visit every 2-3 months

J.Vizuete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by J.Vizuete » September 17th, 2019, 10:07 pm

Bob Hoelting wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 7:44 pm
Home inventory fluctuates between 150-200 bottles which we keep in three different coolers: A 180-bottle Dometic, mostly for reds and over size; a 56-bottle Vinotemp for whites and dessert wines, and a 26-bottle beverage cooler that I run at 47 degrees for ready-to-drink blancs and bubblies.

Offsite is a 50-case locker which I'll visit every 2-3 months
This is my ideal scenario
John V.

Sarah Kirschbaum

#35 Post by Sarah Kirschbaum » September 18th, 2019, 2:00 am

When I had offsite storage, I had about 200 bottles at home most of the time. Since my storage facility wasn't the kind I could organize or visit regularly, it made sense to have a good selection on hand.

derekrusalen

#36 Post by derekrusalen » September 18th, 2019, 2:43 am

I have about 100-150 bottles in my cellar but I need to buy a fridge soon

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 14th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Ok I finally bit the bullet on an interim measure, while my wife and I decide what we are going to do with our house, a decision that I know will take years! I have a ton of stuff coming in over the next month and my off-site storage company is totally out of available lockers, while my lockers are 100% full. So I bought a really nice Vinotheque from Wine Enthusiast. Holds 250, stainless steel door and shelves. Looks pretty decent. Not sure where I put it, likely in the game room, but it does seem nice aesthetically, well, as nice as these coffins can look. The units were on sale, with white glove delivery and tax, for $3,065. Not too shabby.

https://www.wineenthusiast.com/vinotheq ... ine-cellar

So back to the question, that will get me to 350 bottles between home and office, while the bulk of my “agers” remain in offsite storage.

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Cole Kendall

#38 Post by Cole Kendall » October 14th, 2019, 3:52 pm

Missed this last time; I have a 50 or so bottle cooler at home (largely older wines) and around 30 to 50 on the floor (mostly younger wines for short-term consumption) in a cooler room, but basically at 70-75 degrees or so.

J. Rock

#39 Post by J. Rock » October 14th, 2019, 4:29 pm

I have a 38 bottle wine fridge at home but I think I'd be better off with room for 60 - 100 bottles at home. My wine is safer at my offsite, so I don't want to keep too many bottles at home in a wine fridge anyway.
J o r d a n

Mark Maddox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by Mark Maddox » October 14th, 2019, 8:11 pm

150ish at home, 700ish off-site or waiting to ship

Alex N

#41 Post by Alex N » October 14th, 2019, 8:59 pm

After my wine fridge crapped out, I keep 0-3 at home and 100-120 in my offsite storage which can grow to just over 150. As much as I'd like hundreds or thousands of bottles, I really prefer keeping a modest collection as it forces restraint on my buying habits. Plus, I'd rather not have to constantly manage, worry about relocating a huge collection, or obsess over the hobby since great "ready now" wines so easily accessible anyway. The quality of the collection continues to go up as I open ones that are ready now, and replace with better wines. I have what I would consider an excellent to world class bottle of wine to share on major holidays, celebrations and birthdays every year until I'm old as dust, on fixed income, and my taste buds are shot and there's no reason not to switch to cheap-o, chilled, Carlo Rossi jug "burgundy".
@13x N1ch•!z

NED VALOIS
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by NED VALOIS » October 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm

All home !

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by Sh@n A » October 14th, 2019, 9:18 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 8:07 pm
I keep onsite (a) bottles to have handy for gifts or (b) bottles I intend to drink (not age, which is why the offsite exists...). I have 16 bottles unit in a closet (where I took the bottom shelf out so I can store bottles upright that I plan to drink over coming months/settle sediment etc.), a shelf in the refrigerator for sauternes and other bottles (call it 4-6) and then I have a box of a couple odd bottles for "daily drinkers" for gifts or low key visitors where wine is appreciated but doesn't need to be expensive (won't get cooked this way, but not ideal storage). If I could do things differently, I would have had a bigger wine fridge as 16 is just slightly too small... I would have liked a 20 storage unit (25% more options!) or 24 to free up the bridge/or closet space. But it works and I am happy... I imagine this is the low end of what someone would want. When weather cools down, I will take direct delivery of some bottles currently pending and just keep another 2 cases in the apartment. I can get deliveries from my offsite 2-3 days forward, so I haven't had issues obtaining wine.
As I buy more aged wine, with the need to stand up bottles for sediment to settle in a refrigerated setting... I need more capacity as standing up wines in the wine fridges reduces their bottle capacity by 20% or so.
/ @ g r @ \

Troy Stark

#44 Post by Troy Stark » October 15th, 2019, 6:05 am

Joel Singer wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 1:59 pm
Currently, I have a cellar in my house, but I'm planning to transition to new house and rely on offsite storage for the bulk of my wine. The offsite storage is convenient to the new house (10-15 minute drive), but I will want to keep a selection of bottles at home. For people whose primary storage is offsite, I was wondering how many bottles do you keep at home and where do you keep them. Thanks!
2 eurocaves worth will cover all immediate needs, both planned and impulsive.
Insta: @lofiwineguy

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » October 15th, 2019, 7:15 am

If you already covered it, it is no longer impulsive! ;)

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Joel Pelote

#46 Post by Joel Pelote » October 15th, 2019, 7:26 am

I kept the bulk off-site (amazing how it can save you from those impulsive "maybe we should open up just one more" moments). Used CellarTracker's Time to Drink Up and Readiness to Drink reports to keep the 24 bottle cooler at the house stocked up.

aaronfullen

#47 Post by aaronfullen » October 15th, 2019, 7:52 am

I have a 650 bottle home cellar. My offsite was originally intended as "overflow" space but at current course and speed, the overflow will soon exceed the home cellar.

Kicking myself for not building a bigger home cellar. Could have built for another 400 with minimal additional expense. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

-af

A1ex H

#48 Post by A1ex H » October 15th, 2019, 8:10 am

Keep 50 or so at home but need to expand my at home storage. Given my offsite storage is bonded and I buy most of my wines in packs of 6 or 12, I don't get enough variety. If I had actual access to the offsite storage then I could bring home a few bottles from a case and have a greater assortment with a 50 bottle limit.
H@ns£n

M. Dildine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#49 Post by M. Dildine » October 15th, 2019, 8:43 am

The only self-control I have over wine purchasing is refusing offsite storage. I do, however, agree with Robert on Klondike bars.
Cheers,

Mike

Jeff Bloom
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Jeff Bloom » October 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm

aaronfullen wrote:
October 15th, 2019, 7:52 am
My offsite was originally intended as "overflow" space but at current course and speed, the overflow will soon exceed the home cellar.
My offsite was also supposed to be for overflow and to receive shipments and I eventually had to get a second bin. The check on future buying is that my wife has refused to let me get a third bin.

Currently have 2000+ at home in a cellar and two wine fridges with 500 offsite. Offsite is primary for the longest of the long term holds but I need to bring home some that have reached their time.

Return to “Wine Talk”