TN: More Bottom Feeding @ Total Wine...(short/boring)

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

TN: More Bottom Feeding @ Total Wine...(short/boring)

#1 Post by TomHill » September 15th, 2019, 10:53 am

Tried these three bottom-feeders from TotalWine last night:
1. Frosting Buttercream Chard Calif VintnersReserve (13.5%; VintnersReserve:"receives an extra layer of frosting") V&B by ButtercreamWnry/AmericanCanyon 2016: Med.dark gold color; strong buttery/diacetyl/movie theatre popcorn rather buttery/oakripe/melony/Chard/tropical fruit/pineapple quite lush nose; soft/fat/underacid/porky light tropical fruit/Chard/pineapple strong buttery/diacetyl/oak/movie popcorn rich/lush/off-dry (0.7-0.8% r.s.?) rather simple flavor; med.long soft/fat/porky slightly sweet strong buttery/diacetyl/movie popcorn slight Chard/tropical fruit finish w/ an aftertaste of heavily buttered toast that goes on&on; boring as hell but not actually as revolting as I expected; loads of butter but not that obviously oak; probably never see'd the inside of a barrel in its life; clearly a manufactured/confected Chard as only FredFranzia could do; speaks of Chard w/ a whisper; way overpriced at $19.00 (TW)
2. Dom.des Hunaudieres Dd'OP: Luberon Les24 (95% Clairette/5% Bourboulenc; 12.5%; SarantyImports) JeanGuichet/Luberon; B by Maison Denuziere/Condrieu 2018: Med.yellow color; pleasant enough pear/floral/rather CdRBlanc light stony/chalky rather quiet nose; bit soft light chalky/stony some pear/apple/floral some CdRBlanc slightly off-dry (0.2%-0.4% r.s.?) bit vapid/dull flavor; med.short bit soft light stony/chalky slight pear/floral finish; a pleasant enough if bit vapid/boring CdRBlanc but well below the Guigal CdRBlanc; speaks quietly of Clairette but BFD; way overpriced at $11.00 (TW)
3. Bellini DessertWine Tuscan (16%; SarantyImports; 40% Malvasia Toscano/40% Trebbiano/10% Grechetto) CantineBellini/Rufina NV: Med.gold/orange/bit bronze color; strong grapey/passito/orangey light earthy bit oxidized slightly complex nose; soft quite sweet orangey/passito/grapey bit alcoholic/hot slight earthy flavor; long ripe/grapey/passito/orangey bit earthy finish; supposed to be like VinSanto but neither the complexity nor oxidation; a pleasant enough dessert wine but just that w/ its only redeeming feature the sweetness; overpriced at $20.00/hlf (TW)
1. KeithLevenberg gave this wine a strong recommendation as one of the best "natural" wines he'd tried, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I walked into TW ystrday morning & showed the sales rep (I find them always a bit pompous & full of themselves) the pic of Keith's Facebook post and asked me if he had this wine. With a smirk on his face, he directed me to the floor stack.
This is what the TW WebSite says:
TW wrote: BUTTERCREAM CHARDONNAY 750ml
California - Tastes like silken butter dripped over a fresh croissant. A decadent Chardonnay perfect for enjoying on the dock of the bay, the backyard, with friends, or really anywhere! Vegan
The puff piece describes a wine that sounds utterly revolting. As Keith characterizes it: "A hate crime". The wine was not that. Like most of FredFranzia's wines, it was just merely boring as hell. I managed to choke down about two glasses before I got bored and opened up the Luberon. But I keep going back to it just to see how bad it really was. It's actually a rather bizarre rendition of Calif Chard. Sorta like Quasimodo...somewhat endearing in a bizarre sort of way.
When I got home from SantaFe, I was beside myself wanting to crack this btl open. So I stuck it in the freezer for about 30 min which should make it nice & cold. When I pulled it out, about the top 1/3'rd of the btl was filled with this icy slush. Which indicates that it had a relatively high freezing point. Not quite sure what I can attribute that to in this wine, but it was nothing I'd seen before. Does ButterCream Frosting have a high freezing point?? One wonders whether Fred actually gave this wine a shot of diacetyl?
2. Luberon: Apparently JeanGuichet is a famous LeMans race car driver from the '60's. Maison Denuziere appears to be an actual wnry dating back to 1876, but they are apparently sold only by TotalWines, at least in the USofA. Another boring dog from SarantyImports.

Keith Levenberg

Re: TN: More Bottom Feeding @ Total Wine...(short/boring)

#2 Post by Keith Levenberg » September 15th, 2019, 11:04 am

Maybe it just needs more time in the cellar. [rofl.gif]

Keith Levenberg

#3 Post by Keith Levenberg » September 15th, 2019, 11:08 am

These are terroir wines, you know! They're unique to its appellations!

"Crafted by multi-talented winemaker, Allison Crowe for Plata Wine Partners, she has crafted a long-term relationship with the vineyards to craft wines that are unique to its appellations." - https://www.totalwine.com/wine/brand/buttercream

Scott G r u n e r

#4 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 15th, 2019, 11:20 am

Why would you do this to yourself?
//Cynic

GregT

#5 Post by GregT » September 15th, 2019, 11:26 am

Alison Crowe is actually a talented wine maker. She makes seemingly half the wines for BevMo and a few flash sites and apparently for Total as well, but she also makes some fairly decent stuff. She doesn't get the love on this board that other multi-brand wine makers do but she may be more versatile than any of them. And she seems to understand what the market wants.

But the name of that Chardonnay alone would put me off entirely.

Where is the puke icon when you need it?
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by TomHill » September 15th, 2019, 11:49 am

GregT wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 11:26 am
Alison Crowe is actually a talented wine maker. She makes seemingly half the wines for BevMo and a few flash sites and apparently for Total as well, but she also makes some fairly decent stuff. She doesn't get the love on this board that other multi-brand wine makers do but she may be more versatile than any of them. And she seems to understand what the market wants.

Since the address was AmericanCanyon, I just assumed it was a FredFranzia wine. I was obviously wrong.
Tom

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by John Morris » September 15th, 2019, 11:58 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 11:20 am
Same reason I tasted and reported on Apothic Inferno last year: Morbid curiosity.

Plus, it's important to reconfirm one's prejudices every so often.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by John Morris » September 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm

GregT wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 11:26 am

You have to scroll down to the bottom of the Smilies box and click on View More Smilies.
"I pencilled in half an hour to suffer fools tomorrow, but now I’m thinking I might bump it out until Monday." -- @duchessgoldblat

“Only he who has walked through the deepest valley knows how other valleys of lesser depth are relatively more walk-throughable, valley-wise.” – @TheTweetOfGod

bradkaplan
Contributor
Contributor

#9 Post by bradkaplan » September 15th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Keith Levenberg wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 11:08 am
"Crafted by multi-talented winemaker, Allison Crowe for Plata Wine Partners, she has crafted a long-term relationship with the vineyards to craft wines that are unique to its appellations." - https://www.totalwine.com/wine/brand/buttercream
OMG that sentence is quite possibly worse than the wine itself.
www.ThirstySouth.com

David Mc

#10 Post by David Mc » September 15th, 2019, 4:44 pm

Tom - have you tried Butter Chardonnay? I have a morbid curiosity about this wine and every time I'm in TW, I want to buy it but just can't.

"California - Butter Chardonnay has aromas of apple pie and a rich creaminess that surrounds you at each sip. Aged in oak, this wine sees brightness, complexity and depth in the creaminess."
Mc = M c I n t i r e

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Nope..

#11 Post by TomHill » September 15th, 2019, 4:50 pm

David Mc wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 4:44 pm
Tom - have you tried Butter Chardonnay? I have a morbid curiosity about this wine and every time I'm in TW, I want to buy it but just can't.

"California - Butter Chardonnay has aromas of apple pie and a rich creaminess that surrounds you at each sip. Aged in oak, this wine sees brightness, complexity and depth in the creaminess."
Nope, David. I’ve seen it there, but not been tempted to try it. The Buttercream was sooo over the top descriptions that I just had to take one for the team.
Tom

alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by alan weinberg » September 16th, 2019, 2:16 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
my thought exactly. I was going to ask, “why do you punish yourself?” Wine is about pleasure, not masochism.

T. Williams

#13 Post by T. Williams » September 16th, 2019, 8:00 am

I enjoy reading your bottom feeding notes (along with the rest of your posts). It provides good contrast to posts about people stumbling upon a forgot La Tache in their cellar. It helps ground the board a little. But buttercream...you may gone too far!!!
Tim W.
Proud Member: Young and Spendy

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Perhaps....

#14 Post by TomHill » September 16th, 2019, 8:56 am

alan weinberg wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 2:16 am
Scott G r u n e r wrote:
my thought exactly. I was going to ask, “why do you punish yourself?” Wine is about pleasure, not masochism.
Perhaps, Alan. If it were merely about pleasure, though, I would drink nothing but Rideg/Carlisle/Bedrock/etc for
the rest of my life. But, to me, wine is also about exploring and learning new things. So Buttercream simply added to
my large data base. Which is why I try Amador Schioppettino and Mendocino Fiano and other such things.
Tom

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Chris Seiber » September 16th, 2019, 9:08 am

BUTTERCREAM CHARDONNAY 750ml
California - Tastes like silken butter dripped over a fresh croissant. A decadent Chardonnay perfect for enjoying on the dock of the bay, the backyard, with friends, or really anywhere! Vegan
It would be fun if a natural wine marketed itself and embraced its stereotypes so confidently.

“Evocative aromas of a homeless encampment on a humid summer day. This wine is alive, like the biological containers in Prometheus. The wine tastes of stagnant pond water on an autumn early Sunday morning in Amsterdam, with decaying leaves, cigarette butts, and old fruit rinds. The perfect wine for enjoying at Burning Man, in a rent-controlled Brooklyn studio, or really anywhere! Artisanal"

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Uhhh...

#16 Post by TomHill » September 16th, 2019, 11:30 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:08 am
It would be fun if a natural wine marketed itself and embraced its stereotypes so confidently.

“Evocative aromas of a homeless encampment on a humid summer day. This wine is alive, like the biological containers in Prometheus. The wine tastes of stagnant pond water on an autumn early Sunday morning in Amsterdam, with decaying leaves, cigarette butts, and old fruit rinds. The perfect wine for enjoying at Burning Man, in a rent-controlled Brooklyn studio, or really anywhere! Artisanal"
Uhhhh, Chris...you do realize my labeling it a "natural" wine was just to jerk Keith's chain, don't you.
But your descriptor does evoke memories of some "natural" wines I've had. Good one.
Tom

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Chris Seiber » September 16th, 2019, 1:05 pm

Totally just having some fun with it, and I have nothing but respect for Keith.

I was mostly struck by how confidently they embrace the stereotype there. "Tastes like silken butter dripped over a fresh croissant. A decadent chardonnay." And the name "Buttercream Chardonnay."

Looking forward to "Merde Chinon" or to the "Enamel Remover Dolcetto."

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Mike Kuller » September 16th, 2019, 1:43 pm

David Mc wrote:

Butter was the chardonnay that started all the similar names. About 5 years ago it won our wine tasting group's XMas chardonnay tasting with our wives.

It won because Rombauer chardonnay was excluded since it was the winner the year before.

They are trying to be Rombauer or chardonnays with fruit and oak on steroids.

Last year sometimes on Fridays I would stop at a Total Wine on the way to pick up my daughter and do their 1 cent tastings of 5 wines.

I finally realized all the wines they tasted were cheap and pretty bad so I stopped doing it.
No Vino Sin Cojones

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Arrrggghhhh...

#19 Post by TomHill » September 16th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Mike Kuller wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:43 pm
David Mc wrote:

Butter was the chardonnay that started all the similar names. About 5 years ago it won our wine tasting group's XMas chardonnay tasting with our wives.

It won because Rombauer chardonnay was excluded since it was the winner the year before.

They are trying to be Rombauer of chardonnays with fruit and oak on steroids.

Last year sometimes on Fridays I would stop at a Total Wine on the way to pick up my duaghter and do their 1 cent tastings of 5 wines.

I finally realized all the wines they tasted were cheap and pretty bad.
Arrrgghh, Mike.... Rombauer is always held up as the punching bag for overripe/over-oaked/toasty/off-dry/buttery/over-the-top/full-ML Calif Chard.
At one time...way back when...that was certainly true. It sealed their fate as characterizing that style of Chard.
But times changs...things change. Rombauer is no longer that kind of Chard. The current Rombauer Carneros Chard is not that at all.
I suggest you buy a btl (around $35...a bit pricey) and try it with an open mind. I think you'll find it does not fit that above description at all.
It's actually a pretty darned good Chard.
Tom

Mike Kuller
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Arrrggghhhh...

#20 Post by Mike Kuller » September 16th, 2019, 2:39 pm

TomHill wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Mike Kuller wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 1:43 pm
David Mc wrote:

They are trying to be Rombauer of chardonnays with fruit and oak on steroids.

Last year sometimes on Fridays I would stop at a Total Wine on the way to pick up my duaghter and do their 1 cent tastings of 5 wines.

I finally realized all the wines they tasted were cheap and pretty bad.
Arrrgghh, Mike.... Rombauer is always held up as the punching bag for overripe/over-oaked/toasty/off-dry/buttery/over-the-top/full-ML Calif Chard.
At one time...way back when...that was certainly true. It sealed their fate as characterizing that style of Chard.
But times changs...things change. Rombauer is no longer that kind of Chard. The current Rombauer Carneros Chard is not that at all.
I suggest you buy a btl (around $35...a bit pricey) and try it with an open mind. I think you'll find it does not fit that above description at all.
Tom
My wife's friends it bring over and she drinks it. I usually drink reds which give her a headache.

Maybe 15 years ago Rombauer chardonnay got a reputation.

In a large gated community in Danville with mansions and a golf course, called Blackhawk, there are two place to buy wine - a bottle shop and a Safeway.

Whenever the new vintage of Rombauer chard hit those stores, attractive blonds in tennis outfits would storm the stores and buy it by the cases.

It's now called "Danville Crack".
Last edited by Mike Kuller on September 16th, 2019, 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No Vino Sin Cojones

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Arrrggghhhh...

#21 Post by Chris Seiber » September 16th, 2019, 4:45 pm

TomHill wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 2:06 pm
Rombauer is no longer that kind of Chard. The current Rombauer Carneros Chard is not that at all.
Tom
This is the first I've heard of that opinion, and it would be quite surprising, given the smashing commercial success of their trademark style. But maybe it's true anyway. Has anyone else heard or observed this? From what vintage forward is this change occurring?

One thing that was curious about Rombauer was that their chardonnay and zinfandel were in the maximum over the top sticky sweet style, but then their merlot and cabernet were relatively old school compared to where their contemporaries are these days. I think they were making 14.1% type cab and merlot. Interesting disparity in style.

Al Osterheld

#22 Post by Al Osterheld » September 16th, 2019, 8:36 pm

In a large gated community in Danville with mansions and a golf course, called Blackhawk, there are two place to buy wine - a bottle shop and a Safeway.
Draeger's. May not be the greatest prices, but better selection than the Safeway and probably the bottle shop (haven't been in years since wasn't that interesting).

-Al

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by Craig G » September 16th, 2019, 8:57 pm

John Morris wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 12:00 pm
You have to scroll down to the bottom of the Smilies box and click on View More Smilies.
OMG. This is actually the most important thing I have ever read on this board. If only we had a search function I might have known this long ago.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by John Morris » September 17th, 2019, 6:53 am

If you'd watched my posts closely over the years, you'd have realized that there were more smilies behind the curtain.
[haha.gif] [beee.gif] [beg.gif] [suicide.gif]

Oliver McCrum

#25 Post by Oliver McCrum » September 17th, 2019, 10:20 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
September 16th, 2019, 9:08 am

You're singing my tune, my next business is going to be called THE HAIR SHIRT WINE COMPANY.
Oliver McCrum
Oliver McCrum Wines

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by Chris Seiber » September 17th, 2019, 10:53 am

Oliver McCrum wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 10:20 am

You're singing my tune, my next business is going to be called THE HAIR SHIRT WINE COMPANY.
Looking forward to it on Berserker Day. I'm in for a three pack of the Merde Chinon.

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#27 Post by Matthew King » September 17th, 2019, 11:07 am

John Morris wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 6:53 am
If you'd watched my posts closely over the years, you'd have realized that there were more smilies behind the curtain.
Not picking on you John but I hate that suicide simile. I wish Todd or mods would remove it.

My family has been shattered by gun-related suicide, so I find it revolting.

Hate to sound like a triggered snowflake, but so be it ...
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#28 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 17th, 2019, 11:26 am

Matthew King wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 11:07 am
John Morris wrote:
Not picking on you John but I hate that suicide simile. I wish Todd or mods would remove it.

I removed it
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Good..

#29 Post by TomHill » September 17th, 2019, 11:30 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 17th, 2019, 11:26 am
Matthew King wrote:
John Morris wrote:

I removed it
Good, Todd. You are such a sensitive/new-age/millennial kind of guy, Todd. I though it a bit inappropriate myself, as well.
Tom

Matthew King
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Matthew King » September 17th, 2019, 12:32 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Matthew King wrote:
John Morris wrote:

I removed it
Thank you, Todd. [thumbs-up.gif]
"Please don't dominate the rap Jack if you've got nothing new to say." -- Robert Hunter

David Mc

#31 Post by David Mc » September 17th, 2019, 3:29 pm

Thread drift - has anyone seen the 20% off coupons recently? Every week they have the winery direct coupons but it's been a while since I've seen the 20% off any wine. I use that to buy Bordeaux.

I have to give the McLean VA TW props - I was in there earlier this year to buy some everyday Bordeaux. I was shocked by the price increases for some of the wines I had just bought the previous year ($32 to $48) and mentioned that to the wine consultant and also asked about the 20% coupon. He told me to just tell the clerk to apply the 20% off any wine coupon at checkout - I did and saved over $40!
Mc = M c I n t i r e

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by John Morris » September 17th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Matthew King wrote:
John Morris wrote:

I removed it
I concur. I'm not keen on suicide humor and even hesitated to use it. I shouldn't have.

James Billy

#33 Post by James Billy » September 17th, 2019, 7:37 pm

Well done, Todd.

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Jason T » September 17th, 2019, 8:40 pm

bradkaplan wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 1:07 pm
Keith Levenberg wrote:
September 15th, 2019, 11:08 am
OMG that sentence is quite possibly worse than the wine itself.
How would you craft it to make it read better... er... craftier?
J@son Tr@ughber

Return to “Wine Talk”