TN: 1980 Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon

Exceeded expectations - check out the color in 2nd pic!! Happy to have 2 more of these birth-year Maggies left!!

[media] Rich Brown on Instagram: "1980 Niebaum-Coppola Rubicon From magnum. Cork was frsgile but (per usual) thank God for my Durand. Deep/dark fuschia in color - you'd have no idea its 39 years old just by looking at it. Musty nose blew off to light red fruits, leather, and tobacco with a fairly long finish. Was enjoyed by myself, my wife (incredible palate) and 2 non-wine geeks who all dug it. Bonus points for being a birth-year wine for me/one of our guests." [/media]

I have a few 750’s of this wine. Planning to open in the next year. Hope they’ve aged as well as this magnum.

Me too - definitley report back when you open one. The color on this wine was so awesome/youthful and it continued to open up over the course of the evening, so I’d be pretty bullish on a 750 as well

Rubicon (1979) was the wine that was opened for me to celebrate my first job in wine back in 1990. I eventually built out a six or seven year vertical in the shop as they were readily available from the distributor. I haven’t drank one in at least 10 years but they do last very well. I don’t think they are still on the seven year release cycle though which made them an outlier.

That’s awesome Doug! And I didnt realize that they used to only released every 7 years. Cant imagine there were many wineries that stuck to a schedule like that…