2015 Bedrock - Syrah Weill a Way Vineyard w/a Kombucha-like blob in bottle.

Drank a bottle last night. Very nice. Lots of sediment in addition to what appeared to be a culture-like blob floating at the bottom, almost like what you would expect to find in a kombucha, like a small piece of phlegm. Has anyone ever experienced such a situation with a bottle of wine??

Did you take a pic? Would be super helpful to see.

I think you are referring to the SCOBY.
Maybe, unbeknownst to us, Morgan has developed a Bedrock Syrah SCOBY. If you put it in the 'frig, you too can make excellent Syrah! [stirthepothal.gif]

Could be lees or could be protein dropping out of the solution. I’ve had similar in a Wind Gap Syrah. The wine was fine, I filtered out the blob.
D3055659-E9FD-4E0F-B246-9A56E171C4DD.jpeg

Man, that is some freaky looking sh*t my man!!

Glad the wine was fine…but how long did you debate about whether or not you should drink it??

If the wine smells good and tastes good, it’s not going to hurt you. Well, maybe if you drank a couple of bottles, it would, but not from the funky looking blob.

-Al

The winemaker I asked said it was harmless so I trusted his advice.

I had a run of 06 mayacamas merlot bottles with a similar blob. Someone on this board suggested pectin. Also Harmless

Yep, similar to this, but not nearly as much.

Recently saw a picture a Bevan Sauvignon Blanc that had a similar look to it. I believe it was a thread about this not too long ago.