Metayage

Is 13 Chezeaux Chambolle charmes and 13 ponsot Chambolle charmes exactly the same wine? How does the process work from barrel to bottle?

Don’t know that particular wine but Ponsot does a number of wines métayage from Chezeaux. All same. Labels slapped on at last minute. Be careful w Griotte—some is Leclerc and some Ponsot.

chambolle charmes is indeed ponsot. as for griotte, leclerc and ponsot are clearly on the labels, so easy to tell…more…

Out of curiosity, why does he do this?

He being Ponsot or Chezeaux? It’s share-cropping, basically. Chezeaux owns the vineyard and Ponsot makes the wine and gives half to Chezeaux. Makes sense economically on both sides. It’s common. Hell, my grandmother did that with the farmer who farmed her land in Ohio!

you must be asking about the new Tron-inspired labels…?

Zing and QFT.

Metayage means the owner owns the vineyard, another wine-maker cares for the vines, harvests, maybe makes the wine … and delivers half of the crop to the owner … either in grapes, in must, in wine in barrels or in bottles.
In the case of Domaine des Chezeaux they own the Chambolle Charmes vineyard, Domaine (!) Ponsot does the work and delivers half of the bottles to Chezeaux (I don´t know if with or without labels, and if they bill them for the bottles and corks or not).
On the recent labels is clearly stated “Vinifié, elevé and mis en bouteille par Domaine Ponsot”. In addition on the bottom of the bottles there is an engraving “Domaine Ponsot”.
Different with the Griottes-Chambertin, there is one part worked by Ponsot, another part bei René Leclerc, but also this is stated on the labels.

Decades ago it was more difficult: it wasn´t clearly shown on the label who made the wine …

I´m not sure that the Laurent Ponsot-bottles shown have anything to do with Chezeaux … afaic the metayage is with Domaine Ponsot - and Laurent Ponsot seperated from the domaine some time ago … so this might be a different contract … and the yields from different vines.

Do the chezeaux bottles use plastic corks?

Yes, the reason why I rarely buy them … only for tastings.

Anyone ever get an explanation why Ponsot is bottling wine that can age for decades with a plastic Cork? Come on they must be smarter than that. I can appreciate Diam or even a well tried screwcap with a good liner, but plastic, PLASTIC?

Yes …
[scratch.gif]

we represent a producer, in burgundy who has been using this closure for 16 years. From village to Grand Cru they have performed very very well.

High-density polymers have a very very long life.

unrelatedly, high-density polymers will last in the environment for hundreds of years.

He ran long-term experiments first, as I recall. It’s synthetic, but not the plastic closures that were so shortlived.

It appears to be well thought out: Ardeaseal Technology: Performance warranty

I’ve tasted several vintages since 2008 … couldn’t get over the rather shrill acidity overshadowing the fruit.
Maybe…

hopefully better thought out than the temp dot that failed completely. The closure made me stop buying Ponsot. Prices didn’t help either.

Hopefully.