TN: Andis Schioppettino '17...(short/boring)

DarrellCorti had given me a head’s up that the new Andis Schioppettino was very good, so I stopped in at the wnry and picked up a btl. Tried it a few days later up in Calistoga w/ Molly&Lars at dinner:

1. AndisWines Schioppettino SierraFoothills (EG; 13.5%; www.AndisWines.com) AndyFriedlander & Janis Akuna/Plymouth 2017: Dark color; very strong classic Schio/black pepper/bit licorice/black cherry/boysenberry slight earthy/briary bit rustic lovely nose; fairly tart/tangy structured strong black pepper/black cherry/licorice classic Schio slightly rustic flavor some complex finish w/ some raspy tannins; very long/lingering strong black pepper/black cherry/bit licorice/pungent quite structured bit rustic/earthy/briary finish w/ modest gritty tannins; a classic expression of Schio; needs 2-5 yrs yet. $32.00

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. I tasted the first Andis Schio in May’18:

I found the '15 Schio rather interesting but not very typical Schio. Darrell was right. With this '17; Andis has nailed it. Easily the best Calif Schio I’ve yet tried. Not quite as good as the Ronchi di Cialla’s, but getting pretty close. Terrific wine at a very good price. There’s a future for Schio in the ShenandoahVlly. I’m going back for more.
Tom

Good to hear that this bottling turned out so well. I tasted a barrel sample at Andis last November, not long before it was to be bottled, and thought it was good but still really too young and not quite fully integrated at that point. Sounds like it just needed a little more time to come together in the bottle.

High praise indeed. Might have to try a bottle if it ever makes it east of the Sierra Nevada.