thoughts on decanting a 1975 Yquem?

looking for any guidance on decant timing. notes on cellartracker are a bit varied, but thinking a 2 hour decant? hoping for a stellar first experience with yquem!

We pop and pour Sauternes when we drink them and let them open up in the glass. They tend to get better when the wine loses the chill from being cellared.

I agree- I would just let your glass do the decanting, swirl and enjoy. pairing this with something special or just enjoying by itself?

A decant is a must for Yquem. It is a wine that needs incredible amounts of air. Often it is opened for dessert as an afterthought, but it is a wine that should be put into a decanter when dinner starts, or even before.

Agreed… definitely decant… but how long for a 75? any fears of falling apart?

For reference, I had a 1975 Yquem from half in 2011 and thought it was great the first night (not decanted, served from bottle), and actually slightly better the 2nd night. So opening 6 hours before or decanting for a bit certainly has more upside than downside.

I’d start worrying on the 3rd day.

Hahahaha [worship.gif]

I would also decant ahead of time. The bottle we had last year was showing really young. If you are doing a long dinner, I would open at the beginning and decant. If not, then I would recommend opening 2-4 hrs before drinking.

many thanks for the thoughts - very helpful!

I do not see any reason to decant Sauternes. I do not see it getting better in the glass. Having been to d’Yquem numerous times. it is not something they do at the estate.

I’ve found that Yquem from good bottles almost always benefits from several hours of air: it shows more complexity, grows in richness, and gets to blow off some of the funk than you can get from an old bottle. I’ve never dared to decant a day in advance, but perhaps I should

Caveat: I’ve had a few damaged bottles (auctions, sigh) where the wine only goes downhill after opening. If the provenance/quality of the bottle is in doubt, might be better to decant at the start of dinner

birthyear wine for me. only had it once from half bottle. maybe top 10 wines of all time. maybe top 5. i’d decant for at least an hour, likely more. it’s still young. you’re in for a treat. i wish i would have bought some before it was crazy. likely still worth it at current pricing. it’s a legend.

Bérénice Lurton Told me she always decants Climens. And although I don’t drink much Sauternes now I used to - and I assure that although in theory the wine can open in the glass, the reality is that people will drink it before it has a chance to open. So decant at least 90 minutes before and take it out of the fridge 30 minutes before you want to drink it (or brink it up from the cellar 15 minutes before).

I’ve always decanted Sauternes the same way - young (13 years) or old (90 years) - at least an hour before and rest the decanter on ice to serve cool.

Opened a 750 last year. That wine will not fall appart.

I would slow ox rather than decant, but that’s just me.

I agree a great complex Sauternes shows better not too cold. I have not decanted one to this point.
The early descriptor of development as glacial has applied perfectly for my 1975 over the decades buried in the cellar. However, Greenland just crossed my mind, so I checked on my half bottle. It is a gorgeous, deep pure gold hue, so another four years for a significant celebration will be the fulfillment of its destiny.

Bought it after having a 1967, my initiation to Y world. I recall using "flavor circus’ as my overall descriptor for the super viscous, apricot, honey, butterscotch, citrus explosion in my head which lingered for minutes. I anticipate a more elegant experience from the 75. Salivating…a 1988 Climens has just been designated as on deck.

I couldn’t agree more, but we will remain in the minority here.
I’ d slow-ox for 3+ hours … then taste, then decant for what you think is necessary, usually 2-3 hours …

I always slow ox , never decant old yquem . Young Yquem , maybe it would benefit from a decant . But 75 is not young .