TN: 1999 Beau-Séjour Bécot, 2004 Giscours

The 2004 Giscours, 13% alcohol, is one of the finest Margaux I have tasted this year. To my surprise last night, it clearly outperformed the delicate 1999 Beau-Séjour Bécot, 13% alcohol, which is a beautiful balanced and perfectly matured Saint-Emilion - smooth, silky, with lovely ripe dark fruits, soft tannins, exotic spices, good minerals, and a persistent finish.

The 2004 Giscours, however, is a great, precise Margaux, with excellent ripeness and admirable richness, superb concentration, great tension, and plenty of fruit and freshness. Finely grained tannins underline its spicy character. Moreover, it has an irresistible, elegant, classy, complex fragrance. Enjoyably mature now. I’m delighted!

2004Giscours 1999Beau-Séjour Bécot.jpg

Nice wines!

My recent note on the Giscours.

2004 Chateau Giscours
Perfumed, flowers, wet earth and rich dark fruit. Probably needs a couple more years to flesh out more but quite enjoyable now. Mid-weight palate, mostly dark fruits and a hint of leather. (90 pts.)

Maybe your next bottle of this exciting Margaux will evoke more enthusiasm, Robert. :slight_smile:

Another small victory for the “off” 2004 vintage in Bordeaux. I’ve admired the wines I’ve had from that vintage, and I think they’ve delivered excellent value for the dollar. That includes more classic producers like Montrose and more modern producers like Lascombes.

In my limited experience, it’s a lower-rated and thus lower-priced vintage that has delivered good quality in a cooler, more classic style.