A few brief Cape Cod TNs

Got together with friends of 40-45 years to enjoy some great weather on the Cape. Here are some brief TNs from a few of the more highly anticipated wines. It’s difficult to overstate how enjoyable it is to share some very good wines with great friends.

2007 Saxum James Berry Vineyard magnum: Jay Hack said last Thanksgiving to hold onto this wine . . . and he was right. Decanted for 5 hours. More green fruit aroma than I expected. This is a bold wine. It has a LOT of life left to it. It was enjoyed by all, but I wish I’d waited a few more years. 95 pts.

2015 B Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Beckstoffer Dr. Crane Vineyard. This was the wine of the Cape. Like velvety smooth chocolate. Someone commented, “I can taste it all over my tongue.” Long finish. 96 pts.

1997 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon. If the B Cellars was the hit, then this was the big miss. Decanted for 4 hours. A nearly vapid wine. No structure. No finish. Just . . . empty. I had such high hopes for this. 85 pts.

2014 Spottswoode Cabernet Sauvignon. Others liked this. I didn’t like it much. The QPR was not good. Decanted for 4 hours. Overall it’s a medium body with lots of tannins and dark notes. I had high expectations for this. 92 pts.

2009 Dow Porto Late Bottled Vintage. This was a huge hit. Had this next to a Fonseca 2009 Vintage Port, and the LBV was the clear winner. What a QPR! 93 pts.

2009 Fonseca Vintage Port. Meh. Not as complex as the Dow 2009 LBV. Maybe this needed a lot more time. But side-by-side it was fun to try both. 89 pts.

2010 Kapcsándy Family Winery Endre magnum. A solid wine for pork dinner with rosemary. Everyone enjoyed it. Less velvety fruit than the B Cellars. Well balanced acidity and tannins. 92 pts.

2011 Kapcsándy Family Winery Roberta’s Reserve State Lane Vineyard. Aromas of plum, cherry, and earth. Flavors of plum, cherry, and tobacco. Nice long finish. 93 pts.

2013 Cakebread Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Dancing Bear Ranch. I love this wine. Perfectly balanced. I’ve had it every year for past 3, and it’s a rock star. Wish I had a few more in the cellar. 94pts.

Oh, and we drank some mediocre Prosecco and whites that I couldn’t stomach.

The Fonseca definitely needed a LOT more time. Like 15-20 years.

Where did you go on the Cape? (I spent a bunch of time in Harwich as a kid)

Steve Bird wrote:
2009 Dow Porto Late Bottled Vintage. This was a huge hit. Had this next to a Fonseca 2009 Vintage Port, and the LBV was the clear winner. What a QPR! 93 pts.

2009 Fonseca Vintage Port. Meh. Not as complex as the Dow 2009 LBV. Maybe this needed a lot more time. But side-by-side it was fun to try both. 89 pts.

Some of the LBV’s, like the 2009 Dow, are great QPRs. The 2011 Fonseca LBV is another one that we have enjoyed for around $20. I agree that the 2009 Fonseca VP needs a lot more time or 12 hours in a decanter. Thanks for the notes!

Ed

I knew the Fonseca should have more time, but honestly wanted to let people see difference b/w LBV and vintage of same year. We stay in East Dennis - family house of 90 years.

Ever play Dennis Pines? I like that course.