Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Post Reply
Message
Author
User avatar
A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: July 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#1 Post by A. So » September 9th, 2019, 9:23 pm

Listed in descending order of preference.
  • 1982 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    If you try this wine and you don't like it, you don't actually like Bordeaux. This is as archetypical as it comes. This bottle was even better than the bottle I had last year with Salil -- it's just everything that a Bordeaux ought to be. The texture is silk, but at the same time the flavours are slightly backwards and mildly rustic -- that kind of controlled feral quality that I find in Verset. The fruit is plentiful and still elegant, there are the customary hints of leather and tobacco, and just no funk at all. So well delineated and transparent. An absolutely stunning effort and easily one of the best bottles of Bordeaux I've had in a while. (93 pts.)
  • 2006 Giacomo Conterno Barolo Cascina Francia - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    I opened this about 12 hours before dinner; it was a little prickly and high-toned at first, but slow oxing it over the half day seemed to draw out the more volatile elements. When we first poured this with dinner, it was an absolutely stunner. Ethereal and bright, raspberries and other tart red fruit with just a light hint of spice. This didn't have the black fruit that I associate with the vintage, though it certainly had that tannic density (or maybe that's just Roberto). The pouring obviously introduced quite a bit of air into the bottle, and an hour or two afterwards, this just clamped down really hard, almost as if this was a drive-by hello. We decided to leave the balance of the bottle unfinished, and I'll report back in the next day or two. (93 pts.)
  • 1970 Château Latour à Pomerol - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Served blind, 1982 or 1989 would have been a good guess given how young this showed. The nose is an explosive mix of spice and plums, with a slight bit of a Christmas cake thing going on. And then the palate just crescendos on top of that -- there's supernatural freshness and life in this bottle. The scale here is immense, and the way it handles the age is magnificent. There's a very mild leafy element that supplements and adds even more complexity to a stunning bottle. The way you get some leathery notes to supplement the fruit is so exciting: it's like you get some secondary and primary together. (93 pts.)
  • 1981 R. López de Heredia Rioja Gran Reserva Viña Tondonia - Spain, La Rioja, La Rioja Alta, Rioja
    An incredible showing of this wine -- when LdH is on, man, is it on. The nose is amazingly elegant with just the right amount of funk; some dusty dried floral elements, and a lovely dried fruit component as well. The palate is racy and fresh, and while it's funky, it's not overly so. There's so much life and brightness in this bottle, layered with leathery and earthy secondary tones. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie
    This is much more burly than the 2015 JL Jamet Terrasses I opened last week. The initial expression here is one of generous fruit, as so many of the 2015s have. It's got a massive pile of the solar fruit but underneath it, you can see the huge structure. Framed with tons of tannin and raw extract, as well as a surprising amount of acidity for the ripeness, this is a wine that demands a lot more time in the cellar. I will admit that this wasn't the most open and expressive wine; this did seem to clamp down as the night went on. I'm immensely glad I went very long on this wine -- it will be a stunner when if matures. (93 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Certan de May - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    This was a lovely bottle; a very mild hint of brett that got more intense as the wine got more air. But at the beginning, that mild brett certainly added more than it took away. There's a peppery leafiness at first, but it supplements a lovely array of matured stone fruit. On the palate, you can still pick up some of the brett, but also a good amount of brown spice and some of the plummy sweetness. Not a bottle I would kick away anytime, and while others didn't think the gap as large as I did, I far preferred the 1982 Magdelaine. (93 pts.)
  • 1982 Château Canon - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    Something is funny with this bottle -- it tastes at least a decade younger than it ought to be. This is probably the freshest bottle of 1982 I've ever had, to the point it's frustratingly not ready. There's a very slight hint of brett here, but it's well balanced by the black fruit. The ripeness here is dialed back; instead there's plenty of acidity to provide structure and freshness. There are but nascent secondary elements; in fact, this is sort of in that phase between primary and secondary where the wine just feels kind of shut down. The last bottle of 1982 Canon I had was fully mature; this one has just started its journey to maturity. (93 pts.)
  • 2015 Vietti Barolo Rocche di Castiglione - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Granted it's probably not the best time to be opening this, but at least one other person at dinner was very curious about the newer Vietti wines, and decided to grab one of these. I, too, was really excited to try this because it's been a while since I last tasted a Vietti. The nose here shows the ripeness of 2015 and the fruit profile shares a commonality with many others that I've tasted. But at the same time, this tends to go on the red side as opposed to black. There's also a touch of brown baking spice on the nose -- is that the oak? The palate doesn't live up to the nose though; it's a little muted and dumb right now, though certainly I'm willing to chalk that up to this being an awkward time. Good material here overall, but the finish does come off a hint medicinal and bitter too. I'm not thoroughly convinced here, but would be more than willing to revisit this in 15-20 years. (93 pts.)
  • 1986 Château Palmer - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, Margaux
    Served blind as to vintage. Sadly there was a slight bit of TCA that got worse in a hurry. But in the five minutes I was able to evaluate this, I found plenty of the magical Palmer perfume; the palate though was quite thin and structural. Given the higher tannin content, I guessed 1975; I'm pretty happy with that. (93- pts.)

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30898
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#2 Post by c fu » September 9th, 2019, 9:26 pm

I feel the jl Jamet seems so open cause it has great minerality
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: July 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#3 Post by A. So » September 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm

c fu wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:26 pm
I feel the jl Jamet seems so open cause it has great minerality
Definitely possible. Overall I think it's a bit lighter too. Not as concentrated as the Dom. Jamet
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 946
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#4 Post by Greg K » September 9th, 2019, 10:09 pm

Thanks for these notes - am planning to open one of these for my birthday, so nice to get a preview.
Sadly the 81 LdH I opened a few years back was corked* - was quite disappointing.

*Perils of posting from my cell.
Last edited by Greg K on September 10th, 2019, 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Kahn

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 946
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#5 Post by Greg K » September 9th, 2019, 10:12 pm

A. So wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm
c fu wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:26 pm
I feel the jl Jamet seems so open cause it has great minerality
Definitely possible. Overall I think it's a bit lighter too. Not as concentrated as the Dom. Jamet
Personally I find Jamet to need massive amounts of time. Some of the most unyielding Northern Rhônes I’ve opened; the one producer I buy in the region that I’m unsure I’ll live long enough to drink.
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21645
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#6 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 10th, 2019, 4:15 am

A. So wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:23 pm
Listed in descending order of preference.
  • 1982 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    If you try this wine and you don't like it, you don't actually like Bordeaux. This is as archetypical as it comes. This bottle was even better than the bottle I had last year with Salil -- it's just everything that a Bordeaux ought to be. The texture is silk, but at the same time the flavours are slightly backwards and mildly rustic -- that kind of controlled feral quality that I find in Verset. The fruit is plentiful and still elegant, there are the customary hints of leather and tobacco, and just no funk at all. So well delineated and transparent. An absolutely stunning effort and easily one of the best bottles of Bordeaux I've had in a while. (93 pts.)
Were I to be looking for a Bordeaux, or a Rhone for that matter, straight off a note, this would be it. I have often commented how I adore wines that showcase elegant rusticity and feral qualities. I have not had the 82 Magdelaine, but the 85 that I had several months ago was cut from a very similar cloth, and was flat out outstanding. Just ordered more. Thanks for the note, I need to find some 82. I passed on some from Rare Wine Company, and still regret it.

PS. 98 is a big score. Wow. [cheers.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6129
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#7 Post by Markus S » September 10th, 2019, 4:58 am

Pizza night is certainly different where you live. You've mentioned the wines, but what about the pies?
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 33629
Joined: February 14th, 2009, 8:06 am
Location: Connecticut

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#8 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 10th, 2019, 5:02 am

Markus S wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 4:58 am
Pizza night is certainly different where you live. You've mentioned the wines, but what about the pies?
Digiorno ;)
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#9 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 10th, 2019, 5:09 am

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:02 am
Markus S wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 4:58 am
Pizza night is certainly different where you live. You've mentioned the wines, but what about the pies?
Digiorno ;)
And it got a 93
ITB

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1949
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#10 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 10th, 2019, 6:33 am

Great notes. And wines. Thanks for the reminder to be on the lookout for 70 Latour a Pomerol although the typical price is now multiples higher than just a few years ago.

User avatar
Claus Jeppesen
Posts: 1752
Joined: April 27th, 2010, 2:42 am

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#11 Post by Claus Jeppesen » September 10th, 2019, 9:49 am

Sincerely Adrian
You got great taste
Claus

Riesling and Slate

User avatar
A. So
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2879
Joined: July 19th, 2011, 7:58 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#12 Post by A. So » September 10th, 2019, 9:52 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:09 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:02 am
Markus S wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 4:58 am
Pizza night is certainly different where you live. You've mentioned the wines, but what about the pies?
Digiorno ;)
And it got a 93
The pizza was 93+
エaイdドrリiアaンn (93 pts.)

User avatar
c fu
Moderator
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>
Posts: 30898
Joined: January 27th, 2009, 1:26 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#13 Post by c fu » September 10th, 2019, 9:53 am

A. So wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:33 pm
c fu wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:26 pm
I feel the jl Jamet seems so open cause it has great minerality
Definitely possible. Overall I think it's a bit lighter too. Not as concentrated as the Dom. Jamet
interesting! I thought mine was fairly ripe and dense but accessible, different profile from Dom. Jamet.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6129
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#14 Post by Markus S » September 10th, 2019, 11:13 am

A. So wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 9:52 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:09 am
D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 5:02 am


Digiorno ;)
And it got a 93
The pizza was 93+
I'm sure it was, but you still didn't say what kind of pies you had. Can't imagine wasting the wines with double cheese pizzas.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#15 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 10th, 2019, 11:41 am

My two favorite Magdelaines are 1970 and 1982. Old fashioned Saint Emilion at their best, but unfortunately, rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. I just got an offer from the UK, but there seems to have been a scramble for the wines, disappearing long before I had a chance to grab some.
ITB

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 146
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#16 Post by Mark Thompson » September 10th, 2019, 12:37 pm

A few follow-up thoughts on the Bordeaux “flight”.. The 70 Latour A Pomerol was a carbon copy of a bottle I opened last week, and perhaps just a smidge more concentrated and youthful than a 71 from several months ago. The 82 Maggie was also just like a bottle from a couple of months ago—just such a unique nose relative to other mature Bordeaux’s I’ve had. A 70 Lanessan from last month had a similar element.

I was also confused on the 82 Canon. This was probably the seventh or eighth bottle of this I’ve tried in the last two years, where each prior bottle has been very open and (for my palate) right at peak. This bottle gave the impression that it has been sitting in a 40F cellar since release - the nose was correct, but much more restrained than normal, and it came off as more dense on the palate than I expected. I can’t think of a great explanation, frankly.

The 82 Certan de May is another wine I’ve had several times. This started out very similar to normal, but really seemed to decline with air. I tried it right before I left and would have scored it in the high 80’s at best; earlier in the night I was arguing it as only a point or two behind the Maggie (which of course got BETTER with air). I don’t think it was a representive bottle.

Back to the Maggies, I feel like there is an offline Maggie vertical that needs to get put together at some point. I’m in with a 75, 82, and 86.

D@ve D y r 0 f f
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 479
Joined: May 14th, 2016, 9:22 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#17 Post by D@ve D y r 0 f f » September 10th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Mark Thompson wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:37 pm
I feel like there is an offline Maggie vertical that needs to get put together at some point. I’m in with a 75, 82, and 86.
I don't have any older vintages, but if I could buy my way into that with the '98 and/or '09, I would love to try and make something work.

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1949
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#18 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 10th, 2019, 1:53 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:25 pm
Mark Thompson wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:37 pm
I feel like there is an offline Maggie vertical that needs to get put together at some point. I’m in with a 75, 82, and 86.
I don't have any older vintages, but if I could buy my way into that with the '98 and/or '09, I would love to try and make something work.
Bring the ‘98. Fantastic young Magdelaine.

The 2009 needs time and will hopefully come together. But it’s not there.

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 946
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#19 Post by Greg K » September 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
My two favorite Magdelaines are 1970 and 1982. Old fashioned Saint Emilion at their best, but unfortunately, rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. I just got an offer from the UK, but there seems to have been a scramble for the wines, disappearing long before I had a chance to grab some.
Sorry about that.
Greg Kahn

Jayson Cohen
Posts: 1949
Joined: July 9th, 2016, 4:29 pm
Location: New York, NY

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#20 Post by Jayson Cohen » September 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Greg K wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
My two favorite Magdelaines are 1970 and 1982. Old fashioned Saint Emilion at their best, but unfortunately, rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. I just got an offer from the UK, but there seems to have been a scramble for the wines, disappearing long before I had a chance to grab some.
Sorry about that.
I see you are planning for my birthday next year! Good plan!

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#21 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 10th, 2019, 2:11 pm

Greg K wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
My two favorite Magdelaines are 1970 and 1982. Old fashioned Saint Emilion at their best, but unfortunately, rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. I just got an offer from the UK, but there seems to have been a scramble for the wines, disappearing long before I had a chance to grab some.
Sorry about that.
No you are not. [wink.gif]

He did keep back some 1985 for me, as it was preordered
ITB

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3631
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#22 Post by Ramon C » September 10th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Jayson Cohen wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Greg K wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm


Sorry about that.
I see you are planning for my birthday next year! Good plan!
For birthday next year? Do it sooner (this year).
@brera

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 946
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#23 Post by Greg K » September 10th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:11 pm
Greg K wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
My two favorite Magdelaines are 1970 and 1982. Old fashioned Saint Emilion at their best, but unfortunately, rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. I just got an offer from the UK, but there seems to have been a scramble for the wines, disappearing long before I had a chance to grab some.
Sorry about that.
No you are not. [wink.gif]

He did keep back some 1985 for me, as it was preordered
No, I'm not. I definitely didn't get all of the 1985 that I wanted. [snort.gif]
Greg Kahn

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 946
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#24 Post by Greg K » September 10th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Ramon C wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:16 pm
Jayson Cohen wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:10 pm
Greg K wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:56 pm


Sorry about that.
I see you are planning for my birthday next year! Good plan!
For birthday next year? Do it sooner (this year).
I'm open. We should actually discuss the Benetiere experiment - I'm around next week.........
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#25 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm

If you guys can hold your horses, my charity tasting next year will be a Magdelaine vertical going back to 1970, with a stray bottle of 1959 thrown in.
ITB

Greg K
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 946
Joined: December 21st, 2013, 3:16 pm
Location: New York

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#26 Post by Greg K » September 10th, 2019, 3:01 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm
If you guys can hold your horses, my charity tasting next year will be a Magdelaine vertical going back to 1970, with a stray bottle of 1959 thrown in.
Why not both? champagne.gif
Greg Kahn

User avatar
Jim Anderson
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 5560
Joined: October 20th, 2010, 1:18 pm
Location: Portland/Newberg, Oregon

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#27 Post by Jim Anderson » September 10th, 2019, 8:16 pm

Years ago I was in Providence and bought 6 bottles from a wine shop in the Italian part of town (or what it seemed to be to me as a first timer there in 2004) and one of them was that exact Conterno Barolo. Wines never showed up. They accused me of lying about it. They apparently “sent them” USPS and couldn’t track the box. The other wines were good as well but the one I specifically remember was that Conterno. Thanks for posting on it. One that literally got away. Oh, my CC company credited me the purchase.
Co-owner, Patricia Green Cellars

User avatar
Jay Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 14058
Joined: June 19th, 2009, 5:18 pm
Location: Jersey City

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#28 Post by Jay Miller » September 11th, 2019, 5:36 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
My two favorite Magdelaines are 1970 and 1982. Old fashioned Saint Emilion at their best, but unfortunately, rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. I just got an offer from the UK, but there seems to have been a scramble for the wines, disappearing long before I had a chance to grab some.
My fault since I made the mistake of recommending Magdelaine to Alfert. After that the end was in sight.
Ripe fruit isn't necessarily a flaw.

User avatar
Ramon C
Posts: 3631
Joined: October 23rd, 2010, 6:34 am

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#29 Post by Ramon C » September 11th, 2019, 5:38 am

Greg K wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 3:01 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm
If you guys can hold your horses, my charity tasting next year will be a Magdelaine vertical going back to 1970, with a stray bottle of 1959 thrown in.
Why not both? champagne.gif
champagne.gif
@brera

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#30 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 11th, 2019, 7:00 am

Jay Miller wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 5:36 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:41 am
My two favorite Magdelaines are 1970 and 1982. Old fashioned Saint Emilion at their best, but unfortunately, rapidly disappearing from the marketplace. I just got an offer from the UK, but there seems to have been a scramble for the wines, disappearing long before I had a chance to grab some.
My fault since I made the mistake of recommending Magdelaine to Alfert. After that the end was in sight.
I gave my English source to both Alfert and Kahn, little thinking there was a Magdelaine offer coming. And now look what happened...
ITB

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#31 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 11th, 2019, 7:08 am

Greg K wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 3:01 pm
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm
If you guys can hold your horses, my charity tasting next year will be a Magdelaine vertical going back to 1970, with a stray bottle of 1959 thrown in.
Why not both? champagne.gif
Next year, probably September with some close relation of Herbert.
Attachments
4E9DDCEC-F8F7-4BD1-8C80-021C8DC89F3F.jpeg
ITB

User avatar
aaronfullen
Posts: 107
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 10:34 am
Location: Atlantaish

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#32 Post by aaronfullen » September 11th, 2019, 8:44 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 4:15 am
A. So wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:23 pm
Listed in descending order of preference.
  • 1982 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    If you try this wine and you don't like it, you don't actually like Bordeaux. This is as archetypical as it comes. This bottle was even better than the bottle I had last year with Salil -- it's just everything that a Bordeaux ought to be. The texture is silk, but at the same time the flavours are slightly backwards and mildly rustic -- that kind of controlled feral quality that I find in Verset. The fruit is plentiful and still elegant, there are the customary hints of leather and tobacco, and just no funk at all. So well delineated and transparent. An absolutely stunning effort and easily one of the best bottles of Bordeaux I've had in a while. (93 pts.)
Were I to be looking for a Bordeaux, or a Rhone for that matter, straight off a note, this would be it. I have often commented how I adore wines that showcase elegant rusticity and feral qualities. I have not had the 82 Magdelaine, but the 85 that I had several months ago was cut from a very similar cloth, and was flat out outstanding. Just ordered more. Thanks for the note, I need to find some 82. I passed on some from Rare Wine Company, and still regret it.

PS. 98 is a big score. Wow. [cheers.gif]
Sounds like any of about five TN's I've written on Chateau Musar. I assume you're tasted and are a fan.

-af

Mark Thompson
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 146
Joined: April 25th, 2017, 2:27 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#33 Post by Mark Thompson » September 11th, 2019, 6:56 pm

D@ve D y r 0 f f wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 1:25 pm
Mark Thompson wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:37 pm
I feel like there is an offline Maggie vertical that needs to get put together at some point. I’m in with a 75, 82, and 86.
I don't have any older vintages, but if I could buy my way into that with the '98 and/or '09, I would love to try and make something work.
Now we’re talking...like a Midwest preview of Mark’s more comprehensive charity vertical! [cheers.gif]

User avatar
Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6279
Joined: May 29th, 2009, 8:49 pm

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#34 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 12th, 2019, 4:49 am

aaronfullen wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 8:44 am
Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 4:15 am
A. So wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:23 pm
Listed in descending order of preference.
  • 1982 Château Magdelaine - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, St. Émilion Grand Cru
    If you try this wine and you don't like it, you don't actually like Bordeaux. This is as archetypical as it comes. This bottle was even better than the bottle I had last year with Salil -- it's just everything that a Bordeaux ought to be. The texture is silk, but at the same time the flavours are slightly backwards and mildly rustic -- that kind of controlled feral quality that I find in Verset. The fruit is plentiful and still elegant, there are the customary hints of leather and tobacco, and just no funk at all. So well delineated and transparent. An absolutely stunning effort and easily one of the best bottles of Bordeaux I've had in a while. (93 pts.)
Were I to be looking for a Bordeaux, or a Rhone for that matter, straight off a note, this would be it. I have often commented how I adore wines that showcase elegant rusticity and feral qualities. I have not had the 82 Magdelaine, but the 85 that I had several months ago was cut from a very similar cloth, and was flat out outstanding. Just ordered more. Thanks for the note, I need to find some 82. I passed on some from Rare Wine Company, and still regret it.

PS. 98 is a big score. Wow. [cheers.gif]
Sounds like any of about five TN's I've written on Chateau Musar. I assume you're tasted and are a fan.

-af
I pretty much wrote off Musar after a vertical where all the wines seemed really shrill in the finish. Without knowing anything about the winemaking, I put it down to a late acidification.
ITB

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21645
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#35 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 12th, 2019, 5:13 am

Musar is an interesting exercise for me.

On paper, this is exactly what I should love. Has all the rustic, feral, high-acid, red-fruit qualities that I love in some distinct wines. And yet, my experience with Musar has been quite varied. I have had far more misses than hits, to the point that I really don’t buy it. I have not given up on the wine, however. Had a ‘99 a month or so ago that was smokin, prompting me to grab some more that just came in.

Incidentally, I popped a 2006 LdH Tondonia the night before last, finished the rest last night. Cannot predict whether it hits the heights of A So’s 1981, but it sure was excellent, with some similarities in tasting descriptors.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

User avatar
Markus S
Posts: 6129
Joined: May 20th, 2010, 7:27 am

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#36 Post by Markus S » September 12th, 2019, 5:29 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 4:15 am
A. So wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 9:23 pm
(93 pts.)
PS. 98 is a big score. Wow. [cheers.gif]
Except that it isn't. It's a 93.
$ _ € ® e . k @

User avatar
aaronfullen
Posts: 107
Joined: January 27th, 2017, 10:34 am
Location: Atlantaish

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#37 Post by aaronfullen » September 12th, 2019, 5:34 am

Robert.A.Jr. wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 5:13 am
Musar is an interesting exercise for me.

On paper, this is exactly what I should love. Has all the rustic, feral, high-acid, red-fruit qualities that I love in some distinct wines. And yet, my experience with Musar has been quite varied. I have had far more misses than hits, to the point that I really don’t buy it. I have not given up on the wine, however. Had a ‘99 a month or so ago that was smokin, prompting me to grab some more that just came in.

Incidentally, I popped a 2006 LdH Tondonia the night before last, finished the rest last night. Cannot predict whether it hits the heights of A So’s 1981, but it sure was excellent, with some similarities in tasting descriptors.
Not that this is necessarily a novel take, but my thinking with Musar is that two out of three bottles I consume (assuming they have some age on them) are great. One in three is a puzzler. If I pay $40 per bottle at release, that means my average cost for a stellar bottle is $60. I can't find a better experience (for my palate) than a great bottle of Musar for less than $150 elsewhere.

Clearly, Chateau Musar is the Sex Panther of wine.

I do find that the importer on Musar (Broadbent good; others bad) makes a difference in the ratio of gems to puzzlers.

Also a big LdH fan.

-af

User avatar
Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 21645
Joined: January 28th, 2010, 5:03 am
Location: Orlando, Florida

Re: Pizza wines: 82 Magdelaine, 06 G Conterno, 81 LdH, 15 Jamet etc.

#38 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 12th, 2019, 5:40 am

Lol, classic pop culture reference there! My sex panther is Levet. Meeeoooww.

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”