Mama Restaurant In Oakland

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
TomHill
GCC Member
GCC Member

Mama Restaurant In Oakland

#1 Post by TomHill » September 9th, 2019, 8:39 pm

One of my favorite wine shops in Oakland is BayGrape on Grand. Lots of interesting stuff, much of them natural wines. Run by StevieStacionis and husband JosiahBaldavino. Always a must stop when I’m in the Bay Area.
A bit over a month ago, they opened “Mama” a few doors down. A restaurant specializing in basic Abruzzi cooking as done by her grandma in Rockford, IL. I thought this was insane. They have a thriving wine store & bar, a small child...and now a restaurant?? Absolutely crazy.
I ate there tonight. Stevie, the chef, has absolutely nailed it. Three courses for $30. Choice of 2 items for each course. I had a simple minestrone, a spaghetti with tomato sauce and sugo, and a gelato. Simple but absolutely perfectly done. The wine list, as you’d expect, is stunning and extensive. The orange wine, a Kabaj Rebula, from GoriskaBrda, was terrific. The staff (Kristen) was welcoming and attentive. A perfect, if simple, meal.
After two hrs in the ER this Morning, I needed calories. “Mama” was the perfect solution. You must check this place out.
Tom

Ken Zinns
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Mama Restaurant In Oakland

#2 Post by Ken Zinns » September 9th, 2019, 8:49 pm

Good to hear that you’re ok after your ER visit! (Saw the details on Facebook). Haven’t been to Mama yet but I’m sure I’ll go soon since it’s right in my neighborhood. Really like that Kabaj Rebula.
ITB, Harrington Wines & Eno Wines, and Grape-Nutz.com

Dany K.

Re: Mama Restaurant In Oakland

#3 Post by Dany K. » September 10th, 2019, 2:06 pm

Josiah is awesome and glad that you enjoyed the resto as well.
D@ny Khl0th - must drink wine!

Return to “Wine Talk”