Postponed releases - RAYAS, OGIER, MUGNIER etc.

Quite a lot of (top) producers seem to postpone the release of their new vintages or top wines more and more …

Most famous example is Chateau RAYAS: soon after Emmanuel Reynaud took over after the passing of his uncle Jacques in 1997 he released vintages not in the 2nd spring/summer after the vintage … but a year later. That always includes Pignan and Fonsalette, not only Ch.Rayas.

It did not take long until it happened again - another year later.

At the moment the 2011s have been postponed until 2020, and the 2012 will not see the light of the day before 2022 - he told me last week.
(One of) the reason(s) is that he doesn´t want his wines to be drunk too early - and many people - not only but often in the US - are emptying bottles/cases soon after purchase. Emmanuel states that the minimum time in bottle for Rayas is 10-12 years … even in smaller vintages.
(there may also be other reasons, tax etc. …)

His other estate Chateau DES TOURS had a similar policy, the Vin des Pays and the Cotes-du-Rhone were available usually 4 years (!) after the vintage, the Vacqueyras 7 years (last year vintage 2014 + 2011).
This years I learned that the Vacqueyras will be postponed also 10 years, just like Rayas … so the 2012 will be available only in 2022.

As a substitute he will now and then release small quantities of older vintages …(usually at higher prices).

It is clear that this is only possible for producers with strong financial background (the wines are almost all in bottle yet) …
but on the other hand it is also a good investment into ones own wines … the release prices will no doubt be higher later on, a good rate of interests …

Stephane OGIER also postponed his Côte-Rôtie RESERVE 2016 … and he is also talking about 2022 …
I´ve tasted a bottle - and it was sensational, although better on day two …
I guess that will also apply to his Cru-bottlings like Belle Helene, Lancement and Cote blonde …
the 2015s have just been released - the 2016s might not be for a longer time.

Burgundy: JF MUGNIER did not yet release any Musigny GC 2014 and younger - and maybe only tiny quantities of 2013 …
although all other crus 2017 are available now.

There are more examples.

What are you thinking about this practices?
(at the moment I´m absolutely neutral to it …)

I am neutral to it as well. Good to know when the Rayas will be released. I have been wondering why they didnt show up here yet.

Wish more Chateaux had been doing this for years so that there would be a pipeline of well-stored wines released at a time when they might show better. I appreciate those that do so now, like some Rioja producers (now if I could only get them to switch away from American oak).

One of my favorite American Zin producers releases his wines almost immediately. I’ve always wished he could sit on them 1-2 years as they show so much better with just a wee bit of bottle age. I always wonder whether some customers are lost in that window where the wines do not show as well as they ultimately will.

Is this working well for Chateau Latour?

Arcadian does this.

I believe Mt Eden does this but not this extreme. 4-5 years?

Good for them! Wish more wineries had the cajones to do this.
So the world is turning Riojan?!

as far as I´ve heard they maybe might jump back to Primeurs — but this is unconfirmed -
I mean who is buying 2013 Les Forts now -

Interesting. I didn’t know that Latour held back the second label as well. Perhaps a hybrid approach is better. Release second labels and restaurant vintages through normal channels. Or, perhaps that stigmatizes the FG when they make a decision to release early, which the markets views then as a lesser vintage.

Well they price the vintages according to perceived quality, already.

Good for them if they have the storage. Maybe just my own perception, but it feels like influencers are popping younger bottles these days and cases are gone for the likes vs. desire for drinking at or near maturity.

I think it’s a good thing. I want wineries to continue to produce age worthy wines, as the complexity and texture and sapid nuance that comes with age cannot be attained any other way, but fewer and fewer people have cellars—to say nothing of the habit of delayed gratification. Either wines will inexorably become more front-loaded and immediate, sacrificing some of their potential for the long haul, or producers have to do the aging for us. The only downside is that the wines will be more expensive when they are eventually released.

When I visited domaine Mugnier in June, they told me the 2013 Musigny would be the first to be released but they had decided against when they tasted it… si so far no late Musigny release for Mugnier… as 2012 was released with other wines. [cheers.gif]
I don’t blame them as cash does not bear interest anymore… but they need the space… so will probably release only small or expensive cuvees.

Chateau Bel Air Marquis d’Aligre?
(the one Alfert used to like)
Current vintage is 2012, no?

Yep!! Been doing this for years. Other california Pinot producers are releasing 16/17 now. They are still on 2012/2013 and still priced really well.

LOL, yes. How could I forget! And ironically, I got an offering today from vintages 1995-2010. Did not know 2012 is out. Just grabbed some 2005 from another source. So 2019 is the owner’s 70th vintage. Wow.

Reminds me of the famous joke that ends with the line, “patience, jackass, patience.”

If the winery says “Do not drink for five years” and I drink it after two years, it’s my fault. If they hold it for 5 years before releasing it, I will expect to pay their cost of storage and the time value of the money they lose for not selling it immediately. If I have space for free extra storage and I can afford to pay now, it’s just a matter of whether I have the self control not to drink it on the stairs going down to the cellar.

fwiw - an explanation from mugnier…

An excellent rationale for releasing later!..

I agree with most of this. I’m not sure it’s a “good thing”; I would agree that it is a good thing if the failure to hold-back will mean that wineries will choose to make less-age-worthy wines.

The part of your comment that I put in bold surprised me to read. I would guess the opposite, but that’s all it would be — a guess. It seems people know more about proper wine storage now than they used to (it seems wine fridges and off-site storage are more normal today than they used to be — that’s the perception I have, at least — I haven’t been around since “used to”). William, were you talking in terms of absolute number, or percentage of folks who buy and store/age wine?

Not a fan as a consumer. It rewards those with money vs. those with time and energy to cellar and age. By holding back you drive up historical vintage pricing due to scarce supply, then release newer vintages at closer to market price.

Imagine a pre-mox poster child doing this…high risk move, I’d applaud as my risk would be lower, and pay a premium.