TN: 1995 Verget Chablis Valmur & 2001 Mondavi Cab

Shared a few wines tonight. Two of the more interesting were the 1995 Verget Chablis Grand Cru Valmur and the 2001 Mondavi Cabernet Sauvignon

I was playing with time with the Verget. I had two bottles, the first was enjoyed in 2005 and was vibrant and beautiful. Tonights, was a dark brownish gold seemingly oxidized, but it did come around a little. The Verget was interesting; it had almost sherry elements and some nuttiness, pear and a light lemony zing. The wine slowly showed something, but never showed what it once had. Ultimately, it was over-the-hill.

The 2001 Mondavi was terrific. Deep, dark red. Meaty with Bordeaux-like flavors of leather, tobacco and dark fruit. It was balanced and singing. Excellent with grilled steaks. The regular bottle showed well at age 18.

in the day, those Vergets were a great value. I think I still have some 94 and 95.

Awesome notes!! Especially love hearing that about the 01 Mondavi - have an 01 Reserve magnum kicking around storage that I’m thinking I’ll hold for some time.

From my cellar, the 1995 Valmur is still good!

The source of the grapes was, I believe, the Robin family, who have enviable old vine holdings in Valmur and Les Clos.

There is also a bottling of so-called “Valmur Sud” in 1995, which is rumored to be 50:50 Valmur - Les Clos, but which had to be sold as Valmur because that was all they had the paperwork for. I have tasted it once, and it is one of the best mature Chablis I ever drunk!

As time has passed, there has been a big divergence between some of the Verget wines of the 1990s, which were probably a bit over-worked to last, and the top bottlings (thinking among others of the Enseginères, Bâtard, Corton-Charlemagne, Meursault Poruzot, as well as some of the Mâconnais and Chablisien bottlings) that have generally aged very well.

Rich - I look forward to your note once you decide to open the 2001 Reserve. I’m betting it will be excellent.

[quoteThe 2001 Mondavi was terrific. Deep, dark red. Meaty with Bordeaux-like flavors of leather, tobacco and dark fruit. It was balanced and singing. Excellent with grilled steaks. The regular bottle showed well at age 18.][/quote] I have an 01 of the reserve. Sounds like the Napa was a great QPR that held up almost 20 years! Nice notes.

Unfortunately I still have some ‘95 meursault charmes.