2016 MacDonald release

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
T.Phillips

Re: 2016 MacDonald release

#51 Post by T.Phillips » September 10th, 2019, 3:02 pm

NED VALOIS wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 2:52 pm
Bad Karma to sell MacD !
Here here. Ive been refreshing my email once every 5 mins since noon hoping to get an allocation. Totally down with them booting the flippers to make room for those who genuinely want to enjoy their wine
T y

b. c@stner
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by b. c@stner » September 10th, 2019, 5:56 pm

matt d wrote:
September 9th, 2019, 6:29 am
Brady Daniels wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 10:42 am
I signed up for the list in March 2015. Anyone else sign up near that point? Am I close to getting an allocation yet?
i believe the last i saw they were at the end of 2014
Feb '14 here and apparently no soup for me :)
b 0 b

Peter Petersen
GCC Member
GCC Member

#53 Post by Peter Petersen » September 10th, 2019, 7:46 pm

I can see two reasons why you'd sell these. Either you decide you don't like them or they are too pricey to drink. In either case why shouldn't you stop or be stopped from buying?
Now I remember someone in CC saying that they sold an extra three pack (who knew you could wishlist?) for a "reasonable" price. Wonder if that is who we are talking about.

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Craig G » September 10th, 2019, 7:58 pm

Peter Petersen wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 7:46 pm
I can see two reasons why you'd sell these. Either you decide you don't like them or they are too pricey to drink. In either case why shouldn't you stop or be stopped from buying?
Catching flippers is probably a losing battle but I’m 100% behind the owners if they are dropping them. There are a zillion people on the wait list who want to drink the wines. I dropped off SQN in 2000 when I decided the wines weren’t for me and I was going to sell what I had. I hope whoever benefited from that has enjoyed and not flipped.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

Ian S

#55 Post by Ian S » September 10th, 2019, 8:08 pm

Oh, Danny, this isn't Russia. Is this Russia? This isn't Russia, is it? I didn't think so.
S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Alex N

#56 Post by Alex N » September 10th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Craig G wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 7:58 pm
Peter Petersen wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 7:46 pm
Catching flippers is probably a losing battle but I’m 100% behind the owners if they are dropping them.
Any idea how (in general) owners feel about sharing allocations? Most 3-6 packs from my favorite lists are so far out of my budget and sharing/splitting the allocation at the winery price (no markup) so I can get 1-2 bottles to cellar works out well for me. I want to drink my wine, I just can't afford all the wine I want, so often I am required to purchase X and sell Y in order to cellar Z, and Y is mostly a wash.
@13x N1ch•!z

Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Craig G » September 10th, 2019, 9:03 pm

I have no idea how owners feel about that, but my opinion would be that if you buy the minimum and you intend to drink what you can afford, you’re not really taking unfair advantage of anything.
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

David Baum

#58 Post by David Baum » September 10th, 2019, 10:31 pm

I suspect sharing would not be frowned upon. Winemakers want people to drink their wine, the more the better. Sharing means more people get to and is very different than flipping

OwenB

#59 Post by OwenB » September 11th, 2019, 4:58 am

David Baum wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 10:31 pm
I suspect sharing would not be frowned upon. Winemakers want people to drink their wine, the more the better. Sharing means more people get to and is very different than flipping
+1

So, if anyone wants to share.....
    8 A $ H A

Steve L Gellman
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#60 Post by Steve L Gellman » September 11th, 2019, 5:12 am

There is a difference in selling a bottle or 2 to finance buying the wine versus flipping the whole allocation

AlexO

#61 Post by AlexO » September 11th, 2019, 6:36 am

I think it's pretty fair to say that MacDonald has reached a plane that was occupied by the likes of Screaming Eagle and Scarecrow about 10-15 years ago. I heard stories about both from a former business partner that involved both brands being rather draconian in their tracking down and policing of re-sellers, and removing them from their list. Others might have some stories they can share about those efforts.

Right or wrong, I think the intent of those wineries was to on some level to ensure that the wine ended up in the hands of those who enjoy actually drinking it and sharing it with others. I don't think I've ever met a winemaker or winery owner who set out to make a flippable wine.

That being said, MacDonald is not only one of the best and highest quality wines made in CA, but the winery has also done an admirable job of building and managing its reputation. It certainly makes sense that they would want their wine to end up in the right places.
    _________
    @lex Offutt

Alan Eden - Berserker for Life!

Jeff_M.

#62 Post by Jeff_M. » September 11th, 2019, 6:56 am

Y'all made me throw my name on their wait list. Maybe in 10 years I'll get a crack at an allocation. Too many good posts about this winery to be on the sideline but the aftermarket price is way too high for me to go buying bottles.
    Jeff M 0 l l

Jeff Skinner

#63 Post by Jeff Skinner » September 11th, 2019, 7:13 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 6:56 am
    Y'all made me throw my name on their wait list. Maybe in 10 years I'll get a crack at an allocation. Too many good posts about this winery to be on the sideline but the aftermarket price is way too high for me to go buying bottles.
    Similar, I joined up this Summer after listening to Graeme Macdonald on the I’ll drink to that podcast. Cool story, and what sounds like a great winemaking philosophy in a great Vineyard. Hopefully we’ll get to try some before getting on the list!

David Baum

#64 Post by David Baum » September 11th, 2019, 8:20 am

Steve L Gellman wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 5:12 am
    There is a difference in selling a bottle or 2 to finance buying the wine versus flipping the whole allocation
    Honestly not much of a difference. Sell one at aftermarket and you drink two for next to free. Doesn't everyone deserve to drink top tier Napa cab for free? Don't we all? Of course not. That's profiteering. Now selling at release or close to it, that's sharing the love.

Scott Jameson
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#65 Post by Scott Jameson » September 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm

AlexO wrote:
    September 10th, 2019, 2:06 pm
    I have an acquaintance who had been on the MacDonald list for the last few years. I learned today that he didn’t receive the save the date email. I also know from experience that only those who are receiving an allocation receive that email.

Given that he had been somewhat less that covert in the reselling of his allocation, it would appear that he isn’t getting an allocation for the 16 MacDonald.
    Does your acquaintance know he's not getting an allocation because he flipped his wine, or is it just that the save the date email is floating around in the ether ? I visited with Alex and Graeme back in April 2017 and the secondary market valuations came up at one point. I don't recall them being particularly concerned or upset, or hearing one of them mutter something about "d*mn flippers". Based on that, I'd be surprised if they tossed someone from the list, but of course, things could have changed over the past 2 1/2 years.

Steve L Gellman
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#66 Post by Steve L Gellman » September 11th, 2019, 12:57 pm

David Baum wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 8:20 am
    Steve L Gellman wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 5:12 am
    Honestly not much of a difference. Sell one at aftermarket and you drink two for next to free. Doesn't everyone deserve to drink top tier Napa cab for free? Don't we all? Of course not. That's profiteering. Now selling at release or close to it, that's sharing the love.
    So anyone selling wine on Commerce Corner not at “ release or close to it” should loose their allocation.

David Baum

#67 Post by David Baum » September 11th, 2019, 1:04 pm

Never said that. Its not my call to make. Go ask Alex. he's 10 ft tall

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#68 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 11th, 2019, 1:27 pm

I’ve opened one bottle so far, a 2014 back in March. This wine is ridiculously good. Sitting here typing this, I can still taste it. Brilliant wine.

Bdklein

#69 Post by Bdklein » September 11th, 2019, 2:20 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm
    AlexO wrote:
    I have an acquaintance who had been on the MacDonald list for the last few years. I learned today that he didn’t receive the save the date email. I also know from experience that only those who are receiving an allocation receive that email.

Given that he had been somewhat less that covert in the reselling of his allocation, it would appear that he isn’t getting an allocation for the 16 MacDonald.
    Does your acquaintance know he's not getting an allocation because he flipped his wine, or is it just that the save the date email is floating around in the ether ? I visited with Alex and Graeme back in April 2017 and the secondary market valuations came up at one point. I don't recall them being particularly concerned or upset, or hearing one of them mutter something about "d*mn flippers". Based on that, I'd be surprised if they tossed someone from the list, but of course, things could have changed over the past 2 1/2 years.
    Bruce Klein

Bdklein

#70 Post by Bdklein » September 11th, 2019, 2:21 pm

Scott Jameson wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 12:41 pm
    AlexO wrote:

Only way to really know is to log on after the release; emails sometimes don’t show up as expected.
    Bruce Klein

YLee

#71 Post by YLee » September 11th, 2019, 2:37 pm

I think there is way too much gossip going on here. Let the flippers flip, let the drinkers drink, it is their wine to do whatever they please.
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

AlexS
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#72 Post by AlexS » September 11th, 2019, 6:40 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 1:27 pm
    I’ve opened one bottle so far, a 2014 back in March. This wine is ridiculously good. Sitting here typing this, I can still taste it. Brilliant wine.
    Due to the generosity of a fellow Berserker, I too was able to try the 2014 last year and completely agree - absolutely fantastic juice.

I do wish allocations were 3-6 bottles instead of a static 3, would make opening one up so much easier!
    s t e w @ r t

Ian S

#73 Post by Ian S » September 11th, 2019, 7:04 pm

YLee wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 2:37 pm
    I think there is way too much gossip going on here.
    This is the internet and we are on a chat forum, right? [scratch.gif] Innuendo, gossip, opinions, stories, rumors, and the like are all grist for the mill.
    S t 1 g 0 m a n

Alan Eden - Berserker [berserker.gif] and Master Pot Stirrer [stirthepothal.gif] forever!

Mstanford

#74 Post by Mstanford » September 11th, 2019, 7:36 pm

Tip of the hat to you Berserkers...i happened upon the original post way back when & hopped on the Macdonald train for the '10 release and my (3) btl allocation every year since - based purely on the early buzz. I've opened a single bottle (a '10) a few years back with some of my closest wine buddies here in Atlanta. I just have been reluctant to share a bottle with someone who doesn't appreciate the story of what these guys are all about. Been pretty amazing to watch it unfold - I remember calling out with an address change & Graeme called me back immediately & chatted for 20-30 minutes. Everything you hear about these guys is the truth...really genuine fellas.

I look forward to going out to visit one day soon - and taking a bottle with me. For that matter, i'd be open to pull a cork & share with some of you folks - but I ain't a-gonna flip none.

In for my 3 this year...and hope some of you get the nod who've been waiting.
    Mike Stanford

Glenn L e v i n e
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#75 Post by Glenn L e v i n e » September 11th, 2019, 8:01 pm

Can't wait for my three pack, a wine I'll buy while I'm above the dirt. We opened a 12 last weekend with great friends in Sonoma, I thought it showed gloriously.
    "Never lose sight of the fact that it is just fermented grape juice" - a winemaker and negotiant in Napa Valley, CA

Craig G
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#76 Post by Craig G » September 11th, 2019, 8:04 pm

YLee wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 2:37 pm
    I think there is way too much gossip going on here. Let the flippers flip, let the drinkers drink, it is their wine to do whatever they please.
    Obviously everyone can do what they like with the wine they buy. The point people are making is that they are okay if owners dump flippers off the list.

C. Gle@son

YLee

#77 Post by YLee » September 11th, 2019, 8:07 pm

What's the ageability of MacDonalds?
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

Craig G
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#78 Post by Craig G » September 11th, 2019, 8:10 pm

YLee wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 8:07 pm
    Nobody knows, but my guess is it will age like Ch. Latour. That was the thing I thought of when I first tasted it. The wines are really compelling.

C. Gle@son

MikeHill
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#79 Post by MikeHill » September 11th, 2019, 8:51 pm

Craig G wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 8:10 pm
    YLee wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 8:07 pm
    Nobody knows, but my guess is it will age like Ch. Latour. That was the thing I thought of when I first tasted it. The wines are really compelling.
    In a 2014 “I’ll Drink to That” podcast, Graeme mentioned a goal of making a wine for aging, with a window that opened at 10 years, going for 30+

Marc Yamawaki

#80 Post by Marc Yamawaki » September 11th, 2019, 11:01 pm

Anyone read the mailer from MacDonald? I for one will try to avoid any products from Constellation forever.

ERPark

#81 Post by ERPark » September 12th, 2019, 2:23 am

Marc Yamawaki wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 11:01 pm
    Anyone read the mailer from MacDonald? I for one will try to avoid any products from Constellation forever.
    Alex told me the story while we rode around playing golf a couple weeks ago. Had the ‘16 and ‘17 from bottle side by side at the 19th hole afterwards. ‘16 is SOOOOOO good. ‘17 is tasty but still a youngster (only the 3rd bottle he’s opened), and fully expect it to hit its stride by release time next year.
    GEN3

Joe B
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#82 Post by Joe B » September 12th, 2019, 5:12 am

Marc Yamawaki wrote:
    September 11th, 2019, 11:01 pm
    What mailer? I only got the save the date email.

I just looked up Constellations brands and it appears that I don't drink any of them. I do have one four pack of schrader but before they were bought out. They do not seem like wines I want to buy from the brands that I saw. Well, maybe the Mondavi but I can do without them too.

It does look like they just sold 30 wine brands to EJ Gallo though for $1.7bn. Does this make those brands more palatable?
    J W@ll @ce

Peter Petersen
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#83 Post by Peter Petersen » September 12th, 2019, 8:28 am

Yes, I was shocked to read that letter. It is unlikely that I own anything from the big companies in this business but I'll double check again.

Joe W i n o g r a d

#84 Post by Joe W i n o g r a d » September 12th, 2019, 9:08 am

14C471F0-2C69-4C63-8623-BD2B950F0290.jpeg

mike pobega

#85 Post by mike pobega » September 12th, 2019, 9:27 am

I was HALO jumping with Alex last week and we had a chance to taste through his whole lineup starting with his 2008 and ending with each enjoying a cluster of 2019 grapes. The 2018 was breathtaking. His 2017 sublime and the 2016 incredible.

:)

Joe B
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#86 Post by Joe B » September 12th, 2019, 9:30 am

Thanks Joe for the mailer.

One more reason to like Alex and Graeme.
    Last edited by Joe B on September 12th, 2019, 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    J W@ll @ce

Mark Y
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#87 Post by Mark Y » September 12th, 2019, 9:31 am

Was on a Virgin Galactic rocket orbiting earth with Richard Branson and Alex last week. Can confirm the 16s were excellent and that flying/altitude really doesn’t impact a wines taste.
    Y.e.

NickRut
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#88 Post by NickRut » September 12th, 2019, 10:08 am

mike pobega wrote:
    September 12th, 2019, 9:27 am
    I was HALO jumping with Alex last week and we had a chance to taste through his whole lineup starting with his 2008 and ending with each enjoying a cluster of 2019 grapes. The 2018 was breathtaking. His 2017 sublime and the 2016 incredible.

:)

Is any part of this story true? Lol
    Rutkowski

YLee

#89 Post by YLee » September 12th, 2019, 10:12 am

Mark Y wrote:
    September 12th, 2019, 9:31 am
    Was on a Virgin Galactic rocket orbiting earth with Richard Branson and Alex last week. Can confirm the 16s were excellent and that flying/altitude really doesn’t impact a wines taste.
    Yes! And I was piloting the rocket while you guys drank all the wine without me!
    -¥ 0 ñ 9

ERPark

#90 Post by ERPark » September 12th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Too many posers already in this thread...... neener

DAE2AB44-FFD2-455B-9506-8C403A09F85B.jpeg
    GEN3

Mark Y
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#91 Post by Mark Y » September 12th, 2019, 4:19 pm

ERPark wrote:
    September 12th, 2019, 4:16 pm
    Too many posers already in this thread...... neener
    meh. we all gott'em.. ;)
    mcD.jpg
    Y.e.

s.nellessen

#92 Post by s.nellessen » September 12th, 2019, 4:29 pm

.Image
    Steve N.

NickRut
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#93 Post by NickRut » September 12th, 2019, 4:34 pm

Who got the letter? Everyone on the list?
    Rutkowski

SeanHarding
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#94 Post by SeanHarding » September 12th, 2019, 4:40 pm

NickRut wrote:
    September 12th, 2019, 4:34 pm
    I saw it in my USPS Informed Delivery today, so it's probably still making its way to peoples' mailboxes.

Peter Petersen
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#95 Post by Peter Petersen » September 12th, 2019, 4:43 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
    September 12th, 2019, 4:40 pm
    NickRut wrote:
    I saw it in my USPS Informed Delivery today, so it's probably still making its way to peoples' mailboxes.
    Only to those with helicopter privileges at To-Kalon. [wink.gif]

MarkSt

#96 Post by MarkSt » September 12th, 2019, 5:13 pm

NickRut wrote:
    I got mine today. It's nice to have helicopter privileges. champagne.gif
    Mark Sti$$eker

David Baum

#97 Post by David Baum » September 12th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Got three copies today. One for each three pack

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#98 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » September 12th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Got my letter today along with a futures offer for 2020-2030. Was I the only one to get the large format offer? [wink.gif]
    Last edited by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld on September 12th, 2019, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe B
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#99 Post by Joe B » September 12th, 2019, 6:34 pm

MarkSt wrote:
    September 12th, 2019, 5:13 pm
    NickRut wrote:
    YES. I got the mailer today.

I re read it anyways.
    J W@ll @ce

AD Northup
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#100 Post by AD Northup » September 12th, 2019, 6:36 pm

MarkSt wrote:
    September 12th, 2019, 5:13 pm
    NickRut wrote:
    Do the helicopter privileges help you jump the waiting list? Seems like a reasonable investment.
    A n d r e w N o r t h u p

WsOTY:
    1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
    2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
    2010 Ridge Lytton Springs
    2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Epoque

Return to “Wine Talk”