New Wine Cellar

looks like I am moving and I need to build a new wine cellar. Guy that built my last one has moved. I live in Orange, CA and googled Southern California wine cellar builders. Only two of four I contacted have even bothered to respond. One has been very responsive—Valentini Wine Cellars.

So, two questions—anybody know of them and does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks.

Earthquake fault long thought dormant could devastate Los Angeles, researchers say
Aug. 31, 2019
[u]https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2019-08-31/an-earthquake-fault-long-thought-dormant-could-devastate-los-angeles-reseachers-say[/u]

If you have the opportunity to design it from scratch, then make earthquake management the centerpiece of the design, and only add the cosmetic frills afterwards.

[Maybe also think about wildfires & mudslides & whatnot…]

Vintage wine cellars
San Marcos

You could also try and talk to Kevin Jones from LA Cellars, I know he has built private cellars before. www.lacellars.com

[rofl.gif]

Nathan - You are a parody of yourself.

Well, fortunately for Alan Weinberg, he’s not a parody* of himself:

Burgundy wine investors have beaten the stockmarket
Aug 24th 2019
[u]https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/08/24/burgundy-wine-investors-have-beaten-the-stockmarket[/u]

To create a sturdier measure, WineBid, the biggest online wine auctioneer, kindly gave us a full sales record for every wine sold at least ten times on its site since 2003… By the end of 2018, red Burgundy had returned 497%, versus 279% for the S&P 500…

*At least not until that Richter-7.5 takes out his wine cellar.

You know, you’ve got Greenspan this week insisting that US interest rates are heading negative, and you’ve got a herd of lunatics [with a reasonably good chance of winning the general election] who are hell-bent on burning everything to the ground [or so they insist to their supporters], ergo for anyone who is sitting on a huge pile of Burgundy, the moving & relocating of which might be more of a hassle & an expense than makes any reasonable fiduciary sense whatsover, cashing out now [and simply sitting on cash for a year or two, until the smoke clears] might not be all that imprudent of a position to take.

I guess you’d lose about 20 points to Auctioneer’s fees, and then another 28 points to “Collectibles” tax, and you might have to throw a few more points in the general direction of the State of California.

But you’d lose that anytime you sold out [in a legit fashion].

Well there you have it. Alan, it would be folly to go to the trouble of building a new cellar and moving your wine. Sell it all immediately.

That’s the advice you were secretly seeking, right?

You know, the cool weather will be here soon, and it would be safe to ship to one of the big auction houses in Chicago or NY or wherever, and it could be all inventoried & put up for sale in anticipation of the big Christmas/New-Year’s rush [apparently some huge percentage of all wine is sold between about December 14th and January 1st].

The stars might be aligning…

The question comes up, is your intent to build a bigger cellar so you keep buying or a smaller cellar so you need to dispose (sell)?

Geez, a bit of thread drift here. Give me some cellar builders with good rep. Stop selling my wine.

So Kathleen was living here in AZ during the time I was researching the wine wall build for our house. I met with her a few times, and while she was super nice and definitely seemed to have the experience needed go build a solid cellar…she was adamantly against glass fronted/contemporary wine walls…which is exactly what I wanted (this was prob 2 years ago). So it wasnt a good fit to begin with…but in addtion that, her prices were absolutley on the high side.

I ultimately ended up using my own design, buying racking from WineRacksAmerica (highly recommended), and subbing out the glass, cooling, and install myself. Saved a TON of cash and couldn’t be happier with the end product. If you dont mind managing trades, its 100% the route I’d suggest.
20190419_133329.jpg