Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: wine cooler ruined all my wine?

#51 Post by John Morris » September 7th, 2019, 11:29 am

Bob Hoelting wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:49 am
Try putting some sodas and/or water in there for awhile and taste. Is it different from normal? Then it's the cooler. Probably a small freon leak, which would also effect the temperature swings.

I had a small fridge at my shop do this. Water, Pepsi, Gatorade, and beer that came out of that fridge tasted like what you describe.
Even sealed liquids?
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#52 Post by Bob Hoelting » September 7th, 2019, 11:34 am

John Morris wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:29 am
Bob Hoelting wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:49 am
Try putting some sodas and/or water in there for awhile and taste. Is it different from normal? Then it's the cooler. Probably a small freon leak, which would also effect the temperature swings.

I had a small fridge at my shop do this. Water, Pepsi, Gatorade, and beer that came out of that fridge tasted like what you describe.
Even sealed liquids?
I can't say it effected anything in glass bottle, but it defintely spoiled everything in plastic or aluminum can. I think some of these small refrigerators do not do an adequate job at isolating the cooling mechanism from the contents. YMMV

s.nellessen

#53 Post by s.nellessen » September 7th, 2019, 11:40 am

Curious what your Uline smells like after being emptied and turned off for a few days (if btls can be stored elsewhere).
Last edited by s.nellessen on September 7th, 2019, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve N.

M. Meer

#54 Post by M. Meer » September 7th, 2019, 11:50 am

If the unit is keeping consistently cool bottle temperatures, it shouldn't be affecting the wine negatively. It doesn't seem like it's getting cold enough to freeze the wine and compromise the seal. One cooler in our place gets indirect light and keeps wine in the 60s. Not had a bad bottle, even ones stored in there for years, to the point that I no longer worry about it. I'd consider the storage conditions in the shop and how the wines were handled in transport to the retailer. Do you always purchase from the same establishment? Maybe buy a bottle from a different store?
Last edited by M. Meer on September 7th, 2019, 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mar.kus

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#55 Post by Anton D » September 7th, 2019, 11:51 am

For some odd reason, this thread is starting to remind me of the "Saccharomyces cerevisiae in wine making/allergies" thread.

I suspect there will be a "yes, but" for every hypothesis.

I'm falling more and more into the camp others have mentioned: cold temperature mutes fruit bombs.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#56 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 7th, 2019, 11:58 am

John Morris wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:55 pm
Eric LeVine wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:52 pm
I would be curious about the LIQUID temperature and not the AIR temperature, as it should fluctuate much less. Even so, in that temperature range, I don't think a cooler is capable of killing wines that quickly.
+1

I don't know if you've had the flu, or eaten (bad) pine nuts or if you're on any medications. But those can all make wines taste nasty.

You said "we," suggesting you have a regular drinking companion. Does she/he/they have the same reaction?
I've never heard the pine nuts thing. Can you expand on that?
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Mattstolz

#57 Post by Mattstolz » September 7th, 2019, 12:01 pm

Brian G r a f s t r o m wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 11:58 am
John Morris wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:
I would be curious about the LIQUID temperature and not the AIR temperature, as it should fluctuate much less. Even so, in that temperature range, I don't think a cooler is capable of killing wines that quickly.
+1

I don't know if you've had the flu, or eaten (bad) pine nuts or if you're on any medications. But those can all make wines taste nasty.

You said "we," suggesting you have a regular drinking companion. Does she/he/they have the same reaction?
Bad pine nuts can impact perceptions of taste for several weeks after consuming in rare (but well recorded) cases. My mom had a bad batch once and everything tasted bitter and metallic for her for almost a month and a half.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#58 Post by Anton D » September 7th, 2019, 12:19 pm

John Morris wrote:
Eric LeVine wrote:
+1

https://www.bonappetit.com/story/pine-n ... h-syndrome

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/20 ... scientists

https://www.latimes.com/local/abcarian/ ... olumn.html

I had heard it was raw Chinese pine nuts that did, not sure if true.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

Glen Gold
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Glen Gold » September 7th, 2019, 12:22 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 12:01 pm
Bad pine nuts can impact perceptions of taste for several weeks after consuming in rare (but well recorded) cases. My mom had a bad batch once and everything tasted bitter and metallic for her for almost a month and a half.
I have had the pine nuts thing happen -- in my case it wasn't for weeks, but for about 3-4 days. There's some argument about what's going on (it doesn't seem to hinge on the nuts being, for instance, organic or not, but I too have heard whispers about the Chinese pine nuts being an issue). I've found that the Mediterranean Pine Nuts you can buy from nutsinbulk.com are a-okay.

Nate Simon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#60 Post by Nate Simon » September 7th, 2019, 12:49 pm

TL; DR
I'd say get some friends together and open some bottles. See what they think, how your impressions differ.

Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Mark Y » September 7th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:46 pm
they all taste like cheap box wines from the 90's: Prisoner, Machete, Caymus -alcohol and vinegar.
Woa woa woa. 90s Caymus is NOT cheap box wine. ;)
Y.e.

GregT

#62 Post by GregT » September 7th, 2019, 1:16 pm

From the first linked article:
But what’s truly horrifying about this freak occurrence is that scientists have no idea what causes it. For a while, researchers thought that a Chinese variety of pine nut called P. armandii was the culprit in this crime against taste, but there’s no concrete evidence to tie a certain pine nut species or farming origin to the condition. The only concrete evidence that the FDA found was that Pine Mouth is a result of eating raw pine nuts.
So then, does that mean if you roast them you're OK?

I have a bag from TJs and I made pesto two nights ago. But you want to toast any nut before using it anyway, so I did.

Whew! I guess I dodged a bullet!

And in the future, I'm using marcona almonds.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Brian G r a f s t r o m

#63 Post by Brian G r a f s t r o m » September 7th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Fuuuu**! Well then ... I guess I'll be avoiding raw pine nuts from now on!
Los Angeles Workers' Compensation and Personal Injury

“All these characters spend their time explaining themselves, and happily recognizing that they hold the same opinions … how important they consider it to think the same things all together.” --- A.R.

CT handle: grafstrb

Victor Hong

#64 Post by Victor Hong » September 7th, 2019, 1:39 pm

RichardFlack wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 7:35 am
Where is the cooler located? It’s not next to an oven or dishwasher is it?
I keep mine outside, in direct sun, so that its solar panels can operate the compressor, for free. [cheers.gif]
WineHunter.

Scott G r u n e r

#65 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 7th, 2019, 2:20 pm

The pinenuts thing is going to affect all taste though, not just specific cooler stored wines. Red Herring
//Cynic

Arv R
GCC Member
GCC Member

#66 Post by Arv R » September 7th, 2019, 4:38 pm

Good time to revisit this classic

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=29900
R_@_0

GregT

#67 Post by GregT » September 7th, 2019, 4:43 pm

What a great thread.

And interestingly, most of the posters are no longer around.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Markus S

#68 Post by Markus S » September 7th, 2019, 7:12 pm

GregT wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 4:43 pm
And interestingly, most of the posters are no longer around.
What are you talking about?

Gangs all here. We haven't pushed daises yet or gone to meet our maker. But we have a lot of Vinegar swooshing around our mouths at the moment, and it's puckering.
$ _ € ® e . k @

YLee

#69 Post by YLee » September 7th, 2019, 7:15 pm

I love vinegar.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#70 Post by Eric Lundblad » September 7th, 2019, 9:58 pm

A long long time ago (long before I started making wine), I had a wine locker in a professional storage unit...except my locker was in the direct air/firing line of one of the air coolers, which caused similar large cooling & warming (relative) cooling cycles, at times (summer) relatively frequent cycles. All the wines stored there were wines I bought and picked up directly from the winery. They died an early death. I'd excuse them for not showing well and needing more time to show well and etc. A couple of friends told me something was wrong with my wines (they'd recently had the same wines without problem). They were right, and the temp fluctuations in the cellar I believe was the problem.

Sorry you're having this problem...get a better cooler, or fix the one you have. And put your current wines in your cooler on the fast track for consumption. That's the unfortunate advice I have for you.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Chuck Miller » September 7th, 2019, 10:25 pm

Eric Lundblad wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 9:58 pm
A long long time ago (long before I started making wine), I had a wine locker in a professional storage unit...except my locker was in the direct air/firing line of one of the air coolers, which caused similar large cooling & warming (relative) cooling cycles, at times (summer) relatively frequent cycles. All the wines stored there were wines I bought and picked up directly from the winery. They died an early death. I'd excuse them for not showing well and needing more time to show well and etc. A couple of friends told me something was wrong with my wines (they'd recently had the same wines without problem). They were right, and the temp fluctuations in the cellar I believe was the problem.

Sorry you're having this problem...get a better cooler, or fix the one you have. And put your current wines in your cooler on the fast track for consumption. That's the unfortunate advice I have for you.
I don’t buy this. Assume the facility is at 55 degrees. To maintain that, a commercial system will typically output air at about 49 degrees, which immediately begins to mix with the ambient 55 degree air. My compressors (redundant) run maybe 10% of the time, the fans run 24/7. So 90% of the time they are simply moving around 55 degree air, and 10% of the time they are blowing something in the low 50’s. Even if you stick a box of wine a few feet in front of the evaporator it is not going to have any ill effects. After all, wine is not affected by wind chill.

Sorry your wines were not what you wanted, but I don’t think your locker being in the airflow was a factor.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Eric Lundblad
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#72 Post by Eric Lundblad » September 7th, 2019, 10:33 pm

Chuck Miller wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:25 pm

I don’t buy this. Assume the facility is at 55 degrees. To maintain that, a commercial system will typically output air at about 49 degrees, which immediately begins to mix with the ambient 55 degree air. My compressors (redundant) run maybe 10% of the time, the fans run 24/7. So 90% of the time they are simply moving around 55 degree air, and 10% of the time they are blowing something in the low 50’s. Even if you stick a box of wine a few feet in front of the evaporator it is not going to have any ill effects. After all, wine is not affected by wind chill.

Sorry your wines were not what you wanted, but I don’t think your locker being in the airflow was a factor.
I had a min/max thermometer in there, the temp difference was between 10 and 15 degrees (note the locker was relatively close to the cooler output). I had wines stored at home (higher but not as extreme fluctuating temps) that showed as expected. The locker position's the reasonable factor here imo.
Ladd Cellars
Winemaker & Owner

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Chuck Miller » September 7th, 2019, 10:38 pm

Eric Lundblad wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:33 pm
Chuck Miller wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:25 pm

I had a min/max thermometer in there, the temp difference was between 10 and 15 degrees. I had wines stored at home (higher but not as extreme fluctuating temps) that showed as expected. The locker position's the reasonable factor here imo.
I suppose it is possible, but not likely, if the system was grossly underconfigured where an undersized unit had to pump out extremely cold air to maintain temp. That would also cause the humidity to be lowered.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#74 Post by Mel Knox » September 7th, 2019, 10:48 pm

If temperature is the issue, wouldn't the wine tasted maderized ?? What is the humidity inside the cooler?? This story is strange.
ITB

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Chuck Miller » September 7th, 2019, 11:27 pm

i think you would get slightly cooked or stewy before you would get to maderized.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#76 Post by Anton D » September 8th, 2019, 12:15 am

Mel Knox wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:48 pm
If temperature is the issue, wouldn't the wine tasted maderized ?? What is the humidity inside the cooler?? This story is strange.
On some threads we are too snarky, and on others we get catfished.
Last edited by Anton D on September 8th, 2019, 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anton Dotson

Jim Stewart
GCC Member
GCC Member

#77 Post by Jim Stewart » September 8th, 2019, 3:43 am

A saboteur! Do you have a maid ?

YLee

#78 Post by YLee » September 8th, 2019, 3:51 am

Is there any way your cooler is getting fluctuating power? Shutting off then on, etc. *Shrug*
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Ian Sutton

#79 Post by Ian Sutton » September 8th, 2019, 4:31 am

GregT wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 7:04 pm

Someone needs to find better reading material! Don't worry about the light. Nothing is happening to the wine because of it. Ever go into a wine store?
https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles ... htstrike
Last edited by Ian Sutton on September 8th, 2019, 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Normal for Norfolk

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#80 Post by John Morris » September 8th, 2019, 5:29 am

Ian Sutton wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 4:31 am
GregT wrote:

Someone needs to find better reading material! Don't worry about the light. Nothing is happening to the wine because of it. Ever go into a wine store?
https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles ... ightstrike
Thanks, Ian. That's an interesting article. I was not a skeptic like Greg, but this explains the issue -- and the speed with which damage can occur -- very clearly.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

Ian Sutton

#81 Post by Ian Sutton » September 8th, 2019, 6:05 am

Hi all
Someone reported a problem accessing the link to the HRH Jancis article above. If the link doesn't work, might be worth a google search for Jancis Robinson lightstrike
Regards
Ian
Normal for Norfolk

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by John Morris » September 8th, 2019, 6:14 am

FYI, I had no problem accessing the full article with that link.

Scott G r u n e r

#83 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 8th, 2019, 8:53 am

Well if lightstrike is the culprit seems an after market tint/uv screen on the cooler door is an easy fix
//Cynic

John Glas
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by John Glas » September 8th, 2019, 10:07 am

Have you tried these wines over several days? Also have others taste them and see what they think.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Paul Miller » September 8th, 2019, 10:34 am

Maybe we should go back to the title of the thread - "wine cooler"

Do your wines have a tinny taste?

champagne.gif

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Anton D » September 8th, 2019, 12:08 pm

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 8:53 am
Well if lightstrike is the culprit seems an after market tint/uv screen on the cooler door is an easy fix
Seriously, people think this thread's scenario is a light strike issue?

Photo from pour most recent wine tasting: What we lost in stemware we made up in savings on tin foil wrap and Sharpee.

Please: "Light can damage wine irreversibly in as little as one hour." But, perhaps that will shut people up who say wine doesn't change in the glass.

"Clearly, days sitting on a brightly lit supermarket shelf are going to take their toll, but if the wine remains in its case until the last minute before being opened, surely it should be fine? Not necessarily. It may have been exposed to harmful light before it was boxed up at the winery."

I can't wait until people start sending wine back in restaurants because they detect light strike.

Pardon for hyberbole, I am sure setting a wine on the windowsill is not great for a wine, but "sitting as little as an hour..."?

But, Dorian was headed for Alabama, so some folks will believe anything.
Anton Dotson

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by David Glasser » September 8th, 2019, 12:21 pm

I was "struck" by those statements too, Anton. An hour under store lights results in stinky sulfur, cabbage and TCA-like wet cardboard aromas? Maybe an unwrapped bottle of Cristal sitting inches from a big fluorescent bulb...

GregT

#88 Post by GregT » September 8th, 2019, 12:28 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:
GregT wrote:

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles ... htstrike
There have been a lot of studies on this, especially by the Australians. But if your French is decent, there are studies that were done back in the early 1980s and 90s specifically with Champagne and sparkling wines, which is when I first heard of it.

Short wavelength radiation is believed to be what causes damage and the thinking is that wine pigments and various amino acids may be damaged when exposed to short wavelength radiation.

It's an issue with beer and there's a lot of literature in the beer world, but it's also an issue with food and drugs. With wine, the flavor of lightstrike, or more elegantly, goût de lumière, largely comes from volatile sulfur compounds that get created, and interestingly, also from vitamins like riboflavin. It was an issue with Champagne and sparkling wines because by stirring up the lees, they get more amino acids floating in the wine.

But -

Studies in labs are conducted with the artificial light source maybe twenty or thirty inches from the wine. The closer the light, the more radiation. The intensity of the radiation falls of rapidly as distance increases and it's not linear. So the radiation from a bulb two feet away vs a bulb up in the ceiling is very different.

Direct sunlight provides over 4000 times the UV radiation as fluorescent lamps, which, as mentioned, are usually in the ceiling. Also, the light spectrum from fluorescent lamps contains specific wavelengths, not a continuous distribution. Finally, you can get lamps of various "temperatures", whereas sunlight provides a continuous distribution across the entire visible and UV spectrum.

Different yeast strains and fining with things like bentonite or charcoal are super effective in reducing the likelihood of light damage.

Finally, while it's easiest to measure the effects on lighter wines like whites and rosés, which is where a lot of studies are done, red wines have tannins and pigments that prevent light damage and they're also in darker glass.

So I think it's a theoretical problem more than a practical one. Very few people put their wine in direct sunlight for hours or days. And unless people want to hunt for wine in pitch-black stores illuminated by small flaming torches, we're going to be shopping in illuminated venues. But since we've all purchased wine and drugs and other goods from stores with lights on, and they've all been perfectly fine, I can't see it as an issue. I'd be worried about heat far more than light.
G . T a t a r

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#89 Post by Anton D » September 8th, 2019, 12:30 pm

David Glasser wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:21 pm
I was "struck" by those statements too, Anton. An hour under store lights results in stinky sulfur, cabbage and TCA-like wet cardboard aromas? Maybe an unwrapped bottle of Cristal sitting inches from a big fluorescent bulb...
I wonder if we can start to sell "wine swaddling" so people can get their wine home or safely to an "out of cellar" tasting.

On the plus side, now I know why the wine list at "Opaque" in L.A. seems to have such awesome wines.

https://darkdining.com/santa-monica/
Anton Dotson

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#90 Post by joeduncan » September 8th, 2019, 12:35 pm

Mattstolz wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 12:01 pm
John Morris wrote:

+1

This happened to me too. Maybe only 3 weeks but it really sucked. It's a thing.

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Wes Barton » September 8th, 2019, 1:26 pm

ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

Phil Restine

#92 Post by Phil Restine » September 8th, 2019, 1:36 pm

Don’t have time to read this entire thread, but feel compelled to leave a little Phil Restine wisdom in this thread... IT’S DEFINITELY NOT THE WINE COOLER MAKING YOUR CAYMUS SS AND ORIN SWIFT PRISONER TASTE LIKE CHEAP 1990’s BOX WINE!!!!

Is this guy trolling us??

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#93 Post by Anton D » September 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:26 pm
More snark, eh?
Anton Dotson

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Anton D » September 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm

Phil Restine wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:36 pm
Don’t have time to read this entire thread, but feel compelled to leave a little Phil Restine wisdom in this thread... IT’S DEFINITELY NOT THE WINE COOLER MAKING YOUR CAYMUS SS AND ORIN SWIFT PRISONER TASTE LIKE CHEAP 1990’s BOX WINE!!!!

Is this guy trolling us??
Anton Dotson

Steve Slatcher

#95 Post by Steve Slatcher » September 8th, 2019, 1:57 pm

GregT wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:28 pm
So I think it's a theoretical problem more than a practical one. Very few people put their wine in direct sunlight for hours or days. And unless people want to hunt for wine in pitch-black stores illuminated by small flaming torches, we're going to be shopping in illuminated venues.
How do you feel about wine kept on glass shelves, each one with fluorescent tubes directly underneath, or in glass cabinets with lights, or shops that offer for sale bottles from their window display? These are not made up examples, and there is no way I would buy those wines. Dimly light shops, I certainly would use. But then there is a range of in between levels of illumination where I would be more or less concerned.

AndrewH

#96 Post by AndrewH » September 8th, 2019, 2:45 pm

John Morris wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 5:29 am
Ian Sutton wrote:
GregT wrote:

https://www.jancisrobinson.com/articles ... ightstrike
Thanks, Ian. That's an interesting article. I was not a skeptic like Greg, but this explains the issue -- and the speed with which damage can occur -- very clearly.
This probably does a better job, with actual data and what at least on its face appears to be a controlled experiment. Note the color of glass matters a lot:

https://www.awri.com.au/wp-content/uploads/TN09.pdf
Andrew H e i m e r t

Wes Barton
GCC Member
GCC Member

#97 Post by Wes Barton » September 8th, 2019, 3:20 pm

Anton D wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
More snark, eh?
Nah. Did the newbie thing of posting a response without reading the rest of the thread.
ITB - Useless lackey

"I've acquired enough wine to seduce an elephant." - Jennifer Robin

S. Wang

#98 Post by S. Wang » September 8th, 2019, 3:48 pm

Just find someone who is local on the forum and invite them over to have a second opinion, at least to confirm your tasting notes is accurate.
Shang Wang

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Anton D » September 8th, 2019, 5:36 pm

Wes Barton wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 3:20 pm
Anton D wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:40 pm
Wes Barton wrote:
More snark, eh?
Nah. Did the newbie thing of posting a response without reading the rest of the thread.
I was just playing.

You, I love!
Anton Dotson

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by John Morris » September 8th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Steve Slatcher wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 1:57 pm
GregT wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:28 pm
So I think it's a theoretical problem more than a practical one. Very few people put their wine in direct sunlight for hours or days. And unless people want to hunt for wine in pitch-black stores illuminated by small flaming torches, we're going to be shopping in illuminated venues.
How do you feel about wine kept on glass shelves, each one with fluorescent tubes directly underneath, or in glass cabinets with lights, or shops that offer for sale bottles from their window display? These are not made up examples, and there is no way I would buy those wines. Dimly light shops, I certainly would use. But then there is a range of in between levels of illumination where I would be more or less concerned.
There's a store in Greenwich Village with little incandescent string lights along the shelves, right next to the bottles, warming them as the light soaks through the bottles. Acker Merrall has some fluorescent lights awfully close to some expensive bottles. And the old K&L store in SF (on Bryant?) had a skylight that allowed direct sunlight to hit the wines.

Really amazingly stupid!

Return to “Wine Talk”