GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: wine cooler ruined all my wine?

#101 Post by David Glasser » September 8th, 2019, 7:48 pm

Anton D wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:30 pm
David Glasser wrote:
September 8th, 2019, 12:21 pm
I was "struck" by those statements too, Anton. An hour under store lights results in stinky sulfur, cabbage and TCA-like wet cardboard aromas? Maybe an unwrapped bottle of Cristal sitting inches from a big fluorescent bulb...
I wonder if we can start to sell "wine swaddling" so people can get their wine home or safely to an "out of cellar" tasting.

On the plus side, now I know why the wine list at "Opaque" in L.A. seems to have such awesome wines.

https://darkdining.com/santa-monica/
More profit in selling used, burnt out light bulbs as "wine safe." And very energy efficient!

I believe light damage is a thing, and wouldn’t buy from a place with bottles sitting under fluorescent lights or in direct sunlight. Just having a bit of fun at the expense of the exaggerated risk implied by the way the Jancis article is written.

GregT

#102 Post by GregT » September 9th, 2019, 1:31 pm

The trials described above involved placement of wines a distance of 35 cm from two 40 watt fluorescent lamps. Illuminance decreases proportionally with the square of the distance from the light source, and as wine is likely to be stored considerably further from light sources in most winery storage and retail display situations, the amount of light incident on bottled wine will be significantly less than in the trials described by Dozon and Noble.
Bingo.

That's also what Dozon said. If you want to read his study, it's in the American Journal of Enology and Viticulture January 1989 volume 40
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member

#103 Post by Jason T » September 10th, 2019, 12:29 am

I find it interesting that Chuck hasn’t commented on the one point folks keep coming back to - is he drinking the wines at too cold a temperature? That’s the simplest and most likely answer, as posited by a number of folks. Would be helpful to get his thoughts.
J@son Tr@ughber

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#104 Post by John Morris » September 10th, 2019, 7:40 am

Jason T wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 12:29 am
I find it interesting that Chuck hasn’t commented on the one point folks keep coming back to - is he drinking the wines at too cold a temperature? That’s the simplest and most likely answer, as posited by a number of folks. Would be helpful to get his thoughts.
Good question, but he said they taste of alcohol and VA, and alcohol generally does not stand out at cellar temperatures, and most aromas are muted, though I think strong VA would show through even at 55 (or possibly 45 in the case of this cooler).
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#105 Post by K John Joseph » September 10th, 2019, 9:47 am

John Morris wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 7:39 am
Everytime I see the subject heading of this thread, I think: Bartle and Jaymes?

Whenever I hear Bartles and Jaymes I think of this:

References at 1:10.

By the way, I think these three Lonely Island songs for SNL (Dick in a box, mother lover, three way) are the funniest things they've put out in two decades. Justin Timberlake is sensational.
J0hn-J-K4ne

K John Joseph
GCC Member
GCC Member

#106 Post by K John Joseph » September 10th, 2019, 9:48 am

John Morris wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 7:40 am
Jason T wrote:
Good question, but he said they taste of alcohol and VA, and alcohol generally does not stand out at cellar temperatures, and most aromas are muted, though I think strong VA would show through even at 55 (or possibly 45 in the case of this cooler).
My thought on this when I was reading it is that if you're popping reds at 47 degrees, they're going to taste like cheap box wine. Let them get to room temp, then try them the next day and see if you're still getting bad flavors.
J0hn-J-K4ne

DanielP

#107 Post by DanielP » September 10th, 2019, 9:55 am

Chuck Miller wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:25 pm

After all, wine is not affected by wind chill.
Not trying to be pedantic, but everything that is warmer than air will be affected by "wind chill". In other words, the wine that's in front of the blower will cool fairly quickly since there's high air flow + lower temperature. So it could be conceivable that the liquid is actually fluctating in temperature. That being said, I agree with the general point of your post.
P@ik

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#108 Post by larry schaffer » September 10th, 2019, 10:15 am

John Morris wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 7:40 am
Jason T wrote:
+1

VA and alcohol burn will be more noticeable at room temperature than cold. Colder wines will be less aromatic and 'easier to drink' - which is why those folks that tend to be bitter averse tend to drink all their wines cold, whether they are white or red.

Hope the OP comes back with more info/insight.

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

Markus S

#109 Post by Markus S » September 10th, 2019, 11:11 am

DanielP wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 9:55 am
Chuck Miller wrote:

Not trying to be pedantic, but everything that is warmer than air will be affected by "wind chill". In other words, the wine that's in front of the blower will cool fairly quickly since there's high air flow + lower temperature. So it could be conceivable that the liquid is actually fluctating in temperature. That being said, I agree with the general point of your post.
Actually no. Wind chill only affects living things like animals and humans, things that have flesh that can feel temperature.
$ _ € ® e . k @

DanielP

#110 Post by DanielP » September 10th, 2019, 11:16 am

Markus S wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:11 am
DanielP wrote:
Chuck Miller wrote:

Actually no. Wind chill only affects living things like animals and humans, things that have flesh that can feel temperature.
I used in quotes for that reason. It's basically just a correction to account for the increased heat loss from convective forces (wind). Wind Chill as it's used in weather reports simply gives you a temperature adjustment based on the wind speed, ambient temperature, and average human body temperature. Just replace human body temperature with wine temperature and you'll get your "wind chill" for wine.

Unless of course, you're a wind chill expert and would like to further educate me?
P@ik

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#111 Post by Chuck Miller » September 10th, 2019, 12:08 pm

DanielP wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:16 am
Markus S wrote:
September 10th, 2019, 11:11 am
DanielP wrote:

I used in quotes for that reason. It's basically just a correction to account for the increased heat loss from convective forces (wind). Wind Chill as it's used in weather reports simply gives you a temperature adjustment based on the wind speed, ambient temperature, and average human body temperature. Just replace human body temperature with wine temperature and you'll get your "wind chill" for wine.

Unless of course, you're a wind chill expert and would like to further educate me?
You are correct that the contents would heat and cool more quickly to the temp of the ambient air due to convective heating or cooling. However, wind chill is the perception that the air is cooler than it actually is, due to the convective air flow. My point was that if the air is blowing out of an evaporator at 48º, that is as cool as the bottle is going to get (it may get their more quickly), and 48º is not going to damage your wine. A human standing in front of the same evaporator might perceive the temperature to be maybe 40º depending on the speed of the air.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

dougwilder

#112 Post by dougwilder » September 10th, 2019, 12:56 pm

David Baum wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 11:52 pm
You forgot the pinata
and the other thing about doing it while nude.
itb

dougwilder

#113 Post by dougwilder » September 10th, 2019, 1:06 pm

There are some wines (usually the backup sample of something I have already reviewed) that sit on the floor of my office for months that experience wide fluctuation in temps and when I open them, the corks look fine and I can't see much difference in my impression. Over analysis usually creates more questions than it answers.
itb

Mel Knox
GCC Member
GCC Member

#114 Post by Mel Knox » September 11th, 2019, 8:04 am

When I sold bottles, the French government made us use more and more cullet--broken recycled glass-- so the dead leaf tint got darker. We said this was done in order to protect the customer from light struck wines. Usually this is more of a problem for beer people. Think Miller's in clear bottles. It can happen with wines, esp Sauvignon Blanc in clear bottles ..of course in most fridges the light goes off when you close the door.

Did the humidity get checked?? A dry environment can lead to the cork drying out and that is no good.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”