wine cooler ruined all my wine?

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

wine cooler ruined all my wine?

#1 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » September 6th, 2019, 5:46 pm

So... every wine that we open, lately, tastes exactly the same. And not in a good way. A somewhat vinegary finish. The wine cooler is a ULINE single zone 50 bottle unit. It fluctuates from 59 degrees to 47.8 degrees several times a day(I use 2 temperature gauges). I know the following wines aren't anything you guys drink, but after 6-7 months in my wine cooler, they all taste like cheap box wines from the 90's: Prisoner, Machete, Caymus -alcohol and vinegar. I don't know what is going on. If I open a fresh bottle of wine from the store, it tastes fine. If it is one that has been in my cooler for a few months, it tastes terrible. My concern is not from the syrupy wines, but the bedrockss, beau freres, chateau de pape, cantemerle, quintessa, dom perrignone, and tignello wines that may be bad from being stored in that cooler. Is my wine cooler ruining wines? Am I supposed to do something different after I open wines once they have been in the cooler for a few months - vs the fresh ones that I get from the store? I am at a loss and afraid I have lost a couple thousand dollars worth of wines ( I know- small pennies comparatively). I have my allotment of bedrock coming in in october and I don't know what I should do. Any advice would be appreciated.

edit: Nothing I have in there has been in it longer than July 2018.
Last edited by Chuck J o r d a n on September 6th, 2019, 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Markus S

Re: wine cooler ruined all my wine?

#2 Post by Markus S » September 6th, 2019, 5:47 pm

I think you're tastes are changing. Don't blame the cooler.
$ _ € ® e . k @

Eric LeVine
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by Eric LeVine » September 6th, 2019, 5:52 pm

I would be curious about the LIQUID temperature and not the AIR temperature, as it should fluctuate much less. Even so, in that temperature range, I don't think a cooler is capable of killing wines that quickly.
-Eric LeVine (ITB)
It rhymes with wine...

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » September 6th, 2019, 5:53 pm

I threw a bottle of alpha omega 2 squared in it to check out how it tastes after a month. the vinegar taste is concerning.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by John Morris » September 6th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:52 pm
I would be curious about the LIQUID temperature and not the AIR temperature, as it should fluctuate much less. Even so, in that temperature range, I don't think a cooler is capable of killing wines that quickly.
+1

I don't know if you've had the flu, or eaten (bad) pine nuts or if you're on any medications. But those can all make wines taste nasty.

You said "we," suggesting you have a regular drinking companion. Does she/he/they have the same reaction?
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 6th, 2019, 6:08 pm

And how were the wines treated prior to being put in the cooler.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#7 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » September 6th, 2019, 6:08 pm

John Morris wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:55 pm
Eric LeVine wrote:
+1

I don't know if you've had the flu, or eaten (bad) pine nuts or if you're on any medications. But those can all make wines taste nasty.

You said "we," suggesting you have a regular drinking companion. Does she/he/they have the same reaction?
Yes... my wife is the one that really likes wines like prisoner, etc. the last couple of weeks we have poured out, easily, 4 bottles of wine because they tasted terrible. Tonight she opened a prisoner and it tasted terrible. So, we immediately opened another that she liked - 2015 machete - there wasn't a discernible difference between the wines. Which, I found odd. They both tasted bad - not the usual syrup bomb that they are. So, we opened a 2016 Caymus. It was meh/okay. Not the usual flavor that I am used to from that brand. It wasn't the super syrupy flavor that you normally get. it was nearly flavorless. IT just didn't have the vinegar bit the other two had at the end of a sip.

ALSO, the scent I get from all of them is mushroom. I don't know what the eff that is about.

I'm stumped.

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » September 6th, 2019, 6:09 pm

D@vid Bu3ker wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:08 pm
And how were the wines treated prior to being put in the cooler.
All of the wines have gone from the store straight in to the cooler. Except my bedrocks, and Chateau de pape. Those were shipped to me, then put directly in to the cooler. I haven't popped those open to check them. But based on the others, I am not encouraged.

D@vid Bu3ker
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by D@vid Bu3ker » September 6th, 2019, 6:11 pm

The temperatures you have reported will not ruin wine.
David Bueker - Rieslingfan

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by Anton D » September 6th, 2019, 6:16 pm

Very strange.

Store bought wine tastes fine, so we won’t blame you or your palate. I hope I read your experience correctly. That’s crucial.

Yet, the store bought wine probably faced far greater travails a of temperature and conditions.

If only a month in your unit turned your Alpha Omega into “vinegar,” that is weird. You could pretty much torture a wine for a month and never see this “vinegar” profile.

I am at a loss.

Can you describe more of your experience?
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

T. Williams

#11 Post by T. Williams » September 6th, 2019, 6:22 pm

If you are drinking those reds at less than 50 degrees they probably do taste muted and off. This of course assumes the low end of your temp probes.

How long are you letting them come back up to room temp? I used to keep my opened reds in the fridge overnight and drink them cold on day 2. Inevitably I would think it lost all life and I always wondered how people could get a wine to survive two or three days. Turns out I was just drinking it too cold. Maybe not your issue, but I hope it is since it would be an easy fix to just take your bottles out an hour before you plan to consume.

TW
Tim W.
Eat.Drink.Play.

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by Anton D » September 6th, 2019, 6:24 pm

T. Williams wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:22 pm
If you are drinking those reds at less than 50 degrees they probably do taste muted and off. This of course assumes the low end of your temp probes.

How long are you letting them come back up to room temp? I used to keep my opened reds in the fridge overnight and drink them cold on day 2. Inevitably I would think it lost all life and I always wondered how people could get a wine to survive two or three days. Turns out I was just drinking it too cold. Maybe not your issue, but I hope it is since it would be an easy fix to just take your bottles out an hour before you plan to consume.

TW
Good point. Well described and well written.
Anton Dotson

What is man, when you come to think upon him, but a minutely set, ingenious machine for turning, with infinite artfulness, the fine red wine of Shiraz into urine?

YLee

#13 Post by YLee » September 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm

It was my understanding that frequent temperature change is not good for wines. Especially if it is fluctuating 11-12 degrees. It is probably changing temp every 30 mins or so.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Paul Miller » September 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm

No mold?

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » September 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm

Anton D wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:16 pm
Very strange.

Store bought wine tastes fine, so we won’t blame you or your palate. I hope I read your experience correctly. That’s crucial.

Yet, the store bought wine probably faced far greater travails a of temperature and conditions.

If only a month in your unit turned your Alpha Omega into “vinegar,” that is weird. You could pretty much torture a wine for a month and never see this “vinegar” profile.

I am at a loss.

I put an alpha omega in there to test. I am 2 weeks out from testing that one to see if it is ruined.

We do have a lot of natural light that is in our kitchen. Would Sunlight ruin wine in a few months?

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » September 6th, 2019, 6:27 pm

YLee wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:25 pm
It was my understanding that frequent temperature change is not good for wines. Especially if it is fluctuating 11-12 degrees. It is probably changing temp every 30 mins or so.
That is correct. I reset my thermometer 2 hours ago. within the last 2 hours it has gone from 59 to 47 degrees.

Chuck J o r d a n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Chuck J o r d a n » September 6th, 2019, 6:28 pm

Paul Miller wrote:
No mold?
Not that I know of. I changed from just buying a bottle to drink, to trying to collect wines in July 2018. So, nothing I have was purchased before then. I am wondering if I need to add water to the cooler via a bowl. are the corks drying out fast?
Last edited by Chuck J o r d a n on September 6th, 2019, 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Haggerty
GCC Member
GCC Member

#18 Post by Colin Haggerty » September 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Eric LeVine wrote:
I would concur with Eric. Although the liquid temp is what is most important, air temps that you have described would be very unlikely to harm your wines, especially over a period of months rather than years.

Colin

YLee

#19 Post by YLee » September 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm

Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:27 pm
YLee wrote:
That is correct. I reset my thermometer 2 hours ago. within the last 2 hours it has gone from 59 to 47 degrees.
My eurocave only changes 1 degrees all day long and compressor turns on every 90 mins.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

YLee

#20 Post by YLee » September 6th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:26 pm
Anton D wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:16 pm
Very strange.

I am at a loss.

I put an alpha omega in there to test. I am 2 weeks out from testing that one to see if it is ruined.

We do have a lot of natural light that is in our kitchen. Would Sunlight ruin wine in a few months?
Sunlight and even home lights can damage wines from what I read but I don't think they can damage your wines this fast? Are they getting a lot of light?
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Chuck Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by Chuck Miller » September 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm

First, you have a cheap thermostat in that uline. A good (more sensitive) thermostat would turn on and off with less of a temperature swing. That said, your range will not damage the wine. In addition, even fairly large daily temp swings will not damage a wine, UNLESS it is so large to cause the cork to ‘piston’ (move up and down, letting in air). A few degrees of change for a liquid is not enough to do that. Finally, yes, sunlight can damage the wine, but only DIRECT sunlight ( it has UV waves). Indirect sun will of course warm your room and cause the fridge to run more often. If you are concerned or are getting direct sunlight, tape a black plastic sheer inside the glass door (don’t have it touch the door seals). But no, your fridge is not ruining your wine.
Chuck Miller
Seattle Wine Storage

GregT

#22 Post by GregT » September 6th, 2019, 7:04 pm

That doesn't mean the wine is fluctuating in temperature. You can take a full bottle of milk out of your fridge and put it on the counter. That's a thirty degree temperature difference or more. Doesn't mean your milk suddenly heats up. Same with the wine. It's not changing temperature much at all.

Moreover, even if it were changing temp, that small fluctuation is not going to ruin the wine.
Sunlight and even home lights can damage wines from what I read but I don't think they can damage your wines this fast? Are they getting a lot of light?
Someone needs to find better reading material! Don't worry about the light. Nothing is happening to the wine because of it. Ever go into a wine store?

For the OP - Just for peace of mind, I'd take the temperature of the wine with an accurate thermometer. You said you're using two - do you know that they're accurate? Next time you open a bottle, measure the temp of the wine itself, not the surface of the bottle or the air in the cooler. Your cooler's thermostat might be inaccurate, but even if it is, if your wine is at a safe temp, I wouldn't worry. That fluctuation in temp is due to the poor insulation of the unit, but it's nothing much to worry about.

And I'm almost certain that the cooler has nothing to do with the taste sensations you're getting, unless it's actually boiling the wine or something weird. One thing you may try to do is to take a bottle out of the cooler, go buy a bottle of the same wine, and have your wife or someone else pour them into separate glasses for you while you're in another room. You'll try to see if you can distinguish between them. Then do it for her. Make sure the wine in both glasses is at the same temp.

Finally, it has to be said, but not much is going to improve the Prisoner. The good news is that on the other hand, not much is going to ruin it. That's an industrial wine, built to withstand plenty of abuse.

Best of luck!
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

David K o l i n
GCC Member
GCC Member

#23 Post by David K o l i n » September 6th, 2019, 7:10 pm

Vinegar is not a flavor that results from bad storage.

Randy Bowman
GCC Member
GCC Member

#24 Post by Randy Bowman » September 6th, 2019, 7:35 pm

My Uline 50 bottle wine cooler was purchased in 1992 and holds a near constant temperature of 54 degrees. Bottles coming out of it need about 15 to 20 minutes to warm up to drinking temperature but interestingly we occasionally put a chiller on bottles we bring home to cool them down around 60 degrees so they taste right.

The only way the wine is turning to vinegar would be if the unit is cooking the wine and the corks have dried because of the heat. Not likely.
Any mold in the unit?
How old is the unit?
Do you decant the wines? (We've had wines we thought were bad upon opening but after a decant they were fine.)
If you can't find the answer quick, buy a 52 bottle unit offered for $399.00 at Lowes and Costco. You can replace it three times and not spend as much as you did on the Uline.
IN THE BUSINESS SHILL: An associate of a person selling goods, who pretends no association to the seller and assumes the air of an enthusiastic customer.

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by RichardFlack » September 6th, 2019, 8:04 pm

The speed of deterioration is really striking. Absent extreme heat, which apparently isn’t happening, I don’t even see poor storage doing that. I assume you use the same stemware decanter etc for the ‘fresh’ wines that taste ok?
If you have $400 lying around replacing the unit cant do any harm (don’t throw it out in case it is good and then you have a spare) but I would be looking for other causes than the cooler itself.

Nathan Smyth

#26 Post by Nathan Smyth » September 6th, 2019, 8:07 pm

Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:28 pm
I changed from just buying a bottle to drink, to trying to collect wines in July 2018.
Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 5:46 pm
they all taste like cheap box wines from the 90's: Prisoner, Machete, Caymus -alcohol and vinegar. I don't know what is going on. If I open a fresh bottle of wine from the store, it tastes fine. If it is one that has been in my cooler for a few months, it tastes terrible... Is my wine cooler ruining wines?
The most likely explanation is that your palates are improving [now that you're getting more serious about wine], and the colder temperature is simply revealing to you the bare-nekkid truth about the kinds of wines you once enjoyed.

As a test, buy another "fresh" bottle from the store, chill it in the refrigerator [not the cooler], and then taste it blind against an identical wine pulled from the cooler.

[For a blind tasting:

1) You take four wine glasses, and label two of them as #1, and two of them as #2.

2) Your wife leaves the room.

3) You take a magic marker and mark the label of each bottle as to its origin: Cooler or Kitchen Fridge.

4) You open both bottles, and remove all of the tin foil from them.

5) You take some tall slender package-store brown bags, wrap them around the bottles, and secure the bags with some tape around the necks of the bottles.

6) You spin the two bagged bottles around the kitchen counter-top until you forget which one was which.

7) You leave the room.

8) Your wife enters the room.

9) Your wife spins the two bagged bottles around the kitchen counter-top until she forgets which one was which.

10) Your wife takes the magic market and marks one bag as #1 and the other bag as #2.

11) You come back in the room, y'all pour the #1 bagged bottle in the glasses marked #1, and the #2 bagged bottle in the glasses marked #2, and you proceed to enjoy [or not enjoy] the wines with dinner.

12) At the end of the evening, you pull off the bags and learn which bottle was which.

David Baum

#27 Post by David Baum » September 6th, 2019, 11:52 pm

You forgot the pinata

Rich Salsano

#28 Post by Rich Salsano » September 7th, 2019, 4:26 am

I would want to understand what is causing the temperature to fluctuate 12 degrees in 2 hours. Something doesn’t seem right. Forget the wine for a moment.

If your compressor runs and gets the internal cabinet temp down to 47 degrees, what are the external conditions that would somehow cause the temperature to rise to 59 in 2 hours? That would seem to me the cabinet is probably getting pounded with direct sunlight / heat and possibly does not have a great seal as well. That’s way too quick to rise 12 degrees unless it’s in a really hot room and getting heated somehow, most likely by sunlight.

Now, is all that sunlight ruining your wine? Unlikely. But if you do end up trying different things, I would move your wine cabinet to a different location in the house.
Richard Salsano

Howard Cooper
GCC Member
GCC Member

#29 Post by Howard Cooper » September 7th, 2019, 5:48 am

Are the wines being stored on their sides or standing up. If standing up, are the corks drying out?

I echo others in making sure you give time for the wines to warm up.
Howard

"That's what I do. I drink and I know things." Tyrion Lannister

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » September 7th, 2019, 5:54 am

Howard Cooper wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 5:48 am
Are the wines being stored on their sides or standing up. If standing up, are the corks drying out?

I echo others in making sure you give time for the wines to warm up.
Use a good quality instant read thermometer and make sure bottles are from the same source.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by John Morris » September 7th, 2019, 6:28 am

David K o l i n wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 7:10 pm
I don't think that's correct. Acetobacteria multiply as temperature rises. That's why I always refrigerate leftovers. if I leave a wine out, I often pick up some VA the next day, which I rarely do if it's refrigerated.
"I'm a Frisbeetarian. We worship frisbees. We believe when you die your soul goes up on the roof and you can't get it down." – Jim Stafford

"The Internet has resulted in an exponential increase in the number of instances in which humor must be explained." - me, 2019

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by John Morris » September 7th, 2019, 6:36 am

YLee wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:29 pm
Chuck J o r d a n wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 6:27 pm
I reset my thermometer 2 hours ago. within the last 2 hours it has gone from 59 to 47 degrees.
My eurocave only changes 1 degrees all day long and compressor turns on every 90 mins.
There's no way the temp should fluctuate that much, or that rapidly. The thermostat must be shot. Even a cheap coller should keep the air in a much narrower range. (My ancient, cheap Marvel cooler stays within a degree or two, even though the refrigerant needs a recharge.)

I doubt there would be any damage from that temp variation with wines like the Prisoner. But this means you compressor will be running for longer stretches, which means long stretches of vibration. And if the thermostat is sending the air temp down to 47, it's running too much. So there might be a vibration issue.

By the way, is the 59 measured with the door open? If so, ignore that. When you shut the door, the air will quickly cool down due to the thermal mass of the wine and the compressor kicking in.

Steve Slatcher

#33 Post by Steve Slatcher » September 7th, 2019, 6:51 am

Wine does not need to be in direct sunlight to get light strike, wine in a clear bottle left in a window in daylight for a few hours will be affected. But wine in brown bottles, kept in a shady place, will survive longer. If you buy wine from a shop shelf, it is well worth considering the possibility of light strike.

Regarding how quickly wine temps change... If a wine is at 59, and the air temperature SUDDENLY changes to 47, it will take around 2 hrs for the wine to get down to 53 - obviously longer for a slower cooling of air temperature. You can check out other scenarios here:
http://www.winenous.co.uk/wp/how-long-f ... emperature

Regardless, I don't see how either of these scenarios would make a wine taste of vinegar.

Steve Slatcher

#34 Post by Steve Slatcher » September 7th, 2019, 6:56 am

John Morris wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:28 am
David K o l i n wrote:
I don't think that's correct. Acetobacteria multiply as temperature rises. That's why I always refrigerate leftovers. if I leave a wine out, I often pick up some VA the next day, which I rarely do if it's refrigerated.
But how does the bacteria get in at all? If the wine has been open for a while, possibly via a fruit fly. But not through a cork, I don't think. I presume you are not thinking of natural wines...?

John S

#35 Post by John S » September 7th, 2019, 6:56 am

Maybe too simple but is there any chance OP is tasting wines at a cooler temp from the wine fridge and warmer from the store? While this would not explain any vinegar flavors I'm just tossing out a super basic thing that would make a dramatic tasting difference.
John Sprow

Justin S

#36 Post by Justin S » September 7th, 2019, 7:21 am

Are all of the wines that now taste bad from the same store? Could be that the wines were mishandled by the store and were already starting to turn. Apart from that, more investigation is needed to isolate the variables.
$ ! n g h

RichardFlack
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by RichardFlack » September 7th, 2019, 7:35 am

Where is the cooler located? It’s not next to an oven or dishwasher is it?

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by John Morris » September 7th, 2019, 7:36 am

Steve Slatcher wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:56 am
John Morris wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:28 am
David K o l i n wrote:
But how does the bacteria get in at all? If the wine has been open for a while, possibly via a fruit fly. But not through a cork, I don't think. I presume you are not thinking of natural wines...?
Lots of wine have some acetobacteria and some VA already. Unless it's pasteurized or microfiltered, wine isn't sterile when it goes into the bottle. That's why brett (a yeast, not a bacteria) also can multiply in the bottle.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by John Morris » September 7th, 2019, 7:37 am

RichardFlack wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 7:35 am
Where is the cooler located? It’s not next to an oven or dishwasher is it?
Even in those locations, a functioning thermostat should keep the temp in a much narrower range.

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#40 Post by John Morris » September 7th, 2019, 7:39 am

Everytime I see the subject heading of this thread, I think: Bartle and Jaymes?

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Anton D » September 7th, 2019, 8:07 am

John S wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 6:56 am
Maybe too simple but is there any chance OP is tasting wines at a cooler temp from the wine fridge and warmer from the store? While this would not explain any vinegar flavors I'm just tossing out a super basic thing that would make a dramatic tasting difference.
That would be my guess as most likely.
Anton Dotson

Anton D
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by Anton D » September 7th, 2019, 8:08 am

John Morris wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 7:39 am
Everytime I see the subject heading of this thread, I think: Bartle and Jaymes?

Ditto!
Anton Dotson

Scott G r u n e r

#43 Post by Scott G r u n e r » September 7th, 2019, 10:19 am

A (somewhat) controlled experiment would be to buy two bottles from same source. Store one in the cooler, one on the counter, allow them both to come up to same temp, then taste and compare.

I have noticed wines stored in the regular fridge too long can become off, but that takes longer than a month or two in my experience.
//Cynic

larry schaffer
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness

#44 Post by larry schaffer » September 7th, 2019, 10:33 am

I might suggest taking one of the bottles that the two of you considered 'ruined' to a wine shop or somewhere else and have them taste it as well. Or open one up with other local wine friends.

The thought of a cooler 'ruining' all the wines is kind of hard to believe - and it's hard to believe that all of the wines would have been 'ruined' in the same manner from the store itself. Yes, a few of them may have had issues, but all of them? Not likely.

Keep us posted - this really is interesting . . .

Cheers.
larry schaffer
tercero wines

John Morris
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by John Morris » September 7th, 2019, 10:35 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:19 am
A (somewhat) controlled experiment would be to buy two bottles from same source. Store one in the cooler, one on the counter, allow them both to come up to same temp, then taste and compare.
And have someone bag and poor them so you're tasting blindly!

Mattstolz

#46 Post by Mattstolz » September 7th, 2019, 10:43 am

i didnt read every response but from the ones I did read I have a couple questions:
1) have you tried any of the bedrocks or non-fruit bomb wines youre concerned about from the cooler yet? this is something thats worth some infanticide to ensure its not destroying them all
2) i would suggest getting two bottles of prisoner at the same time, put one in the fridge and the other in a shady/cooler part of your house for a couple weeks. bottles sit on store shelves for years sometimes without issue, room temp for a month or so shouldnt hurt it. taste the two bottles side by side a few weeks later.

Bob Hoelting
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by Bob Hoelting » September 7th, 2019, 10:49 am

Try putting some sodas and/or water in there for awhile and taste. Is it different from normal? Then it's the cooler. Probably a small freon leak, which would also effect the temperature swings.

I had a small fridge at my shop do this. Water, Pepsi, Gatorade, and beer that came out of that fridge tasted like what you describe.

Rich Salsano

#48 Post by Rich Salsano » September 7th, 2019, 11:13 am

Bob Hoelting wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:49 am
Try putting some sodas and/or water in there for awhile and taste. Is it different from normal? Then it's the cooler. Probably a small freon leak, which would also effect the temperature swings.

I had a small fridge at my shop do this. Water, Pepsi, Gatorade, and beer that came out of that fridge tasted like what you describe.
This sounds like the possible culprit........
Richard Salsano

AndrewH

#49 Post by AndrewH » September 7th, 2019, 11:16 am

Scott G r u n e r wrote:
September 7th, 2019, 10:19 am

I have noticed wines stored in the regular fridge too long can become off, but that takes longer than a month or two in my experience.
Yes, or put one in the fridge over night after the other has been in there for a month and do the same thing after taking them out.
Andrew H e i m e r t

GregT

#50 Post by GregT » September 7th, 2019, 11:18 am

A coolant leak is an interesting conjecture. I don't think they're supposed to use freon in most of these units any more, but it's worth looking into - maybe a coolant is leaking?

Check around for some oily residue. The coolant is pressurized and when it leaks, it expands into a gas very fast and can blow around some of the lubricating oil. The main business of the cooler is usually outside, so check outside and around and on the unit itself for a thin oily residue. Also check inside. That could indeed affect the temperature swings.

But freon is odorless, so the mushroom character is still a mystery, unless there's condensation and mildew forming somewhere. In any case, I find it nearly impossible to believe that the flavor would permeate the wine. And flavors are not going through the corks.
G . T a t a r

[i]"the incorrect overuse of apostrophes is staggering these days. I wonder if half the adults these days have any idea what they are for." Chris Seiber, 5/14/19[/i]

Return to “Wine Talk”