TN: 2001 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard

• 2001 Alban Vineyards Grenache Alban Estate Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Edna Valley (9/5/2019)
    Cellared from release, 15.8% abv, opened in bottle for an hour. I think this is the first time I’ve ever had this vintage? Been awhile since I’ve had an Alban Grenache(2000 3yrs ago)…in their youth, they were painfully tart and acidic, and in need of serious time to come together. The 99 was never drinkable, but in 2012 finally came around, and blossomed into a real beauty! This 2001 is definitely softer on the acidity side comp to the 99…but still has a beautiful freshness of tart crancherry and raspberry vibrancy. Ample acidity…but totally integrated…big and ripe Alban style liqueured fruits, showing more to the red spectrum(and surprisingly some transparency) than the black hole Syrah. Wonderful complexities of licorice, cherry wood spice, dried red flower florals…very slight sweet asphalt…aged leather…lot of Bing cherry and kirsch in this…REALLY like the brightness…reminds me of a Rayas in a warmer year. Drinking fantastic right now, with plenty more good years ahead. (95 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Good note Buzz.

Separate question: Have you tasted any 2004-2009 Viognier or Roussanne and have they held up or died?

Excellent, glad to hear it’s doing so well. I have 3 still in the cellar and have been wondering as it’s been years since I’ve popped one. Also have 98/99 left to look forward to someday.

I’d consider killing the 98/99 soon, had 96/97 and they were past peak.

Density and style morphed in 2000 IMO.

I’ve only had the 04’s of both within the past few years…each showing really well and correct. Would have zero trepidation with any of those years you ask of…as these age very well!

Just finished up my 07 roussannes and they are fine (more than fine). They have developed a nutty/hazelnut character and a very deep gold color.

thank you Buzz