A great Rose’ from an unlikely place

I had a glass at a Colorado restaurant and thought it was intriguing. So I found a bottle and tried it again. Yep, I was right, this is a great rose’ from a new winery called The Storm Cellar in the Western Colorado. Classic rose’ melon and herb notes with crisp acidity. Blind I would have thought southern France. Surprised me.
Rose’ of Pinot Gris. 2018. $19.

Great! hope they enter the Gov. cup competition

They did and they did quite well for themselves!

Since forever, I’ve been on record speculating that there is still a tremendous amount of undeveloped terroir in this country.

As long as it doesn’t get so cold in the winter that the vines are killed, and as long as there is too little ambient moisture for the Leaf Hoppers to start spreading Pierce’s Disease, we should be looking at bazillions of acres of [as yet undeveloped] land which could grow Vitis vinifera.

Of course, that should also be true in China, Mongolia, far northern India, etc etc etc…

I heard all their wines medaled and two double golds.
A0AF3DF8-47F7-4906-81CD-BA79B2214940.jpeg

I was part of the crew serving the wines to the judges and Storm Cellars did great!
My wife and I did not pour the Rieslings wines for the judges so I didn’t try them.

We did pour the rosé flights and the Storm Cellar’s rosé was a standout.

We live on the Western Slope now and I get to a lot of the Grand Valley wineries. The quality has definitely taken a step up for some of the wineries. Some are still stuck in the tourist wine stage, but in general we are pretty happy to be able to hang out at a winery with a band, a few food trucks and some good Colorado wines.

Gonna have to put this wine and this place on my list!

This winery was featured in this weekend’s Wall Street Journal.