TN: A few young sweet German Rieslings

I haven’t shared many of my tasting notes yet, but I wanted to share my thoughts on a few great Rieslings I had over the summer. These were not tasted blind. I’m still new at properly tasting wine, so I’d be very interested to hear your thoughts. [cheers.gif]

I’m also attending an importer tasting of my favorite German Riesling producers this weekend and plan to post my tasting notes, so in anticipation of that, hopefully this can give you some sense of my palate if if it has any similarities to yours.

2012 Max Ferd. Richter Wehlener Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese (Mosel Saar Ruwer, Germany) - 6/1/2019

43 degrees; pop and pour; pretty crappy wine glass

Look: medium gold; no legs

Nose: Meyer lemon; honeysuckle; candied ginger; green papaya

Palate: Meyer lemon; to candied ginger and Meyer lemon at the end, with maybe some honeysuckle and slight minerality; medium+ sweet; high- acidity; light-medium body; no heat; not much of a finish (but no bad aftertaste at all); very slight effervescence

Overall thoughts: nice, ripe fruit, but decently simple; could use a bit more acid or minerality to balance the sweetness better, but it’s still balanced pretty nicely; good with bleu cheese; seems a bit more balanced after sitting out and/or warming up

88 pts

2015 Fritz Haag Brauneberger Juffer-Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese Goldkapsel #22 (Mosel Saar Ruwer, Germany) – 6/13/2019

49.5 degrees; pop and pour; pretty crappy wine glass

Look: medium-pale yellow; medium speed legs

Nose: Meyer lemon, ginger, honeysuckle

Palate: candied lemon, ripe pineapple, lemon flower honey, honey, little ginger, bit of minerality, bit of salt; medium length finish with honey, a bit of salt and slight minerality; creamy texture; high sweetness; high acidity; medium body; no heat

Overall thoughts: excites the mouth with great acidity; wonderful ripe fruit and honey; lovely sweetness and substance balanced with lively acid; excellent

94 pts

2015 Schloss Lieser Riesling Kabinett SL (Mosel Saar Ruwer, Germany) – 6/13/2019

53.5 degrees; pop and pour; crappy wine glass

Look: pale yellow; no visible viscosity

Nose: petrol, mineral / limestone, faint Myer lemon

Palate: ripe lemon, lemon drop, rip straws (sour candy), soft petrol, salt, soft minerality; shortish finish of limestone; medium sweetness; high acidity; light+ body; no heat

Overall thoughts: excellent balance; electrifying acidity; great fruit and lemon flavor; excellent. Ridiculous QPR for me, but I (and my wife) seem to like this significantly more than others (on CellarTracker and the pros), so I’d be interested in hearing your thoughts.

94 pts

2016 Willi Schaefer Graacher Domprobst Riesling Spätlese #10 (Mosel Saar Ruwer, Germany) – 6/14/2019

49.5 degrees; pop and pour; wine glass

Look: medium - pale yellow; pretty much no apparent viscosity

Nose: bottom of new sneaker; soft Meyer lemon; not much nose

Palate: riper Meyer lemon; lime; soft petrol; salinity; limestone; medium sweetness; med-high acidity; light+ body; a touch of creaminess; very slight fizz

Overall thoughts: great balance, energizes mouth with good acidity; good, fresh lemon flavor and crispness from minerality, but seems a bit tight and reserved. I think it might need more air and just more cellar time (even though, I usually love young Rieslings). I’ll see if it has improved at all the next day.

Update: There was no noticeable/significant improvement the next day. I suspect that this wine needs some more time in the cellar.

90 pts

2017 Dönnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spätlese (Nahe, Germany) – 8/2/2019

Drank at 51 degrees; out of white wine glass

Look: pale straw; very few, quick legs

Nose: white flower, limestone, soft lemon, stone fruit, salt

Palate: ripe stone fruit to lemon to strong salinity with a soft background of minerality; high saline finish with minerality, salt fades to soft minerals and lemon, medium length finish; medium sweetness; medium+ acidity; medium+ body; a fairly silky oily texture (very nice)

Overall thoughts: Great wine with very nice layered flavors, especially fruit and salinity; very nice silky smooth, oily mouthfeel; could probably benefit from a bit more acidity, but it’s still nicely balanced. The great mouthfeel elevated this wine even though it could use a bit more acid

92 pts

I like the layout and writing style of your tasting notes very much.
P.S These wines & notes seem to deserve a better wine glass if possible.
[cheers.gif]

Thanks!

I have since gotten better glasses (although, sometimes they aren’t clean and ready to use). The are just Schott Zwiesel Pure glasses, but we like them quite a it, especially for the price.