Goodfellow 2017 Single Vineyard Release - Live

Or, live for mailing list members anyways. I’m excited to see he’s added Temperance Hill, and also done a couple unique ‘block’ bottlings this year (Pumphouse Block at Temperance Hill, and the House Block, Long and Last Acres at Whistling Ridge). 20% off on mixed cases for mailing list members, and $30/case shipping if order in by this Saturday.

Goodfellow is one of my favorite Willamette producers, along with Belle Pente and Biggio Hamina. And thus the truck backs up. Picked up a couple or more of everything on offer. In for three cases total! [berserker.gif]

such reasonable prices for most, especially for the quality

Crazy reasonable.

2016 Goodfellow Family Cellars Chardonnay Durant Vineyard - USA, Oregon (7/12/2019)
Goodfellow has quickly become my go to Chard. Crisp minerality, saline, lemon peel with a hint of effervescence. Excellent. Should just start buying this by the case. (93 pts.)

Guess it’s put up or shut up time for me. These things just don’t stay in the fridge!

After reading so many good things about their wines here on WB, I joined the list and placed my first order yesterday, a mixed case. Am really looking forward to finally trying these wines!

Excellent.

As someone who is a huge fan (top holding in my cellar by far), I’d recommend opening the Pinots in the first 6-9 months or letting them rest for quite awhile. The wines have a short window of drinkability post-release, but then reward extended aging (5+ years, although I’ve started veering more towards 8-10+ after having some aged examples in the past few years). The vintage chart on the Goodfellow website contain a lot of helpful info on when best to drink. It seems as though they are occasionally updated as Marcus opens bottles, but not sure if that is an ongoing project.

I went in for 1.5 cases, mostly the new block bottlings with a few bottles of Durant Chard.

Thanks! I noticed in the drinking window recommendations for most of the offerings that it said to try now or else it gave a range beginning several years in the future. It was a pleasure dealing with Marcus and Megan and I’m glad I made the purchase.

I second Scott’s recommendation on windows, with the caveat that I’m shooting for the deep end on the windows Marcus provided. Let these beauties sleeeeeep.

Thank you all for posting!

I think Scott is absolutely correct. 2017 is also a more “European” style vintage for us. Aromatics are exceptional, and palate is elegant in weight, but quite savory.

I just saw an appointment, and opened the two Chardonnays(decanting the Whistling Ridge), and three Pinot Noirs in the offer. The Durant, Whistling Ridge, and the House Block from Whistling Ridge. They are elegant, and aromatically as beautiful as I have seen. Lighter bodied, they have a great weightlessness to them with a beautiful fruit over a distinctly savory structure. Solid tannins and acids. I always say that we make wines for Negroni drinkers, and the 2017s uphold that statement.

All three Pinot Noirs went into the Grassl decanter and were tasted out of the Grassl Cru glass. I feel that this vintage, for early drinking, really wants a glass that delivers a great tasting opportunity.

I usually taste the wines regularly through year one during appointments, events, etc. After that, I usually let them sleep until the 6 year mark. At 6 years, I’ll open the Durant, and possibly Fir Crest. Whistling Ridge I usually wait until year 8 to begin tasting, knowing that the 10 year mark is usually when it comes around.

Thanks Marcus! I’m excited to see what all the hype is about here (with my mixed case order). Your comment about making wines for Negroni drinkers makes me feel even better about the leap!

Regarding the windows you just posted – I assume that was for the Pinot Noirs. What about the Chardonnays (particularly what you’d recommend for the 2 in this release)?

Oh my! 11 wines and the descriptions/food pairing recommendations etc…I know I desire multiples of each and need to inquire about any possibilities of large formats Just :open_mouth: [wow.gif] flirtysmile

Large formats are possible. It’s my youngest sons birth year, so I did a range of things. These are a little limited, we do them by hand, and I am holding onto a few extra for the cellar this year.

There’s definitely a few magnums and 3-L of the Heritage No. 10. And also magnums of Whistling Ridge, and 1-2 of each block bottling.

Chardonnay window is wider, the wines seem to taste well through the aging process. I like the vineyard designates with 3-4 years on them as a start. But they really seem to keep on improving for 7-10.

Thanks again for all of the love and posts. We woork hard and have a lot of fun producing these wines, and it means a lot to have so much Berserker support.

+1 re what Phillip said re the 2016 Durant Chard…tasted with Megan, and purchased, during June visit to Goodfellow…

Looking forward to these - your description of the 2017 vintage made my mouth water a bit.

Like Jason inquiry in for 3 cases! And maybe a couple extras - so excited for these [cheers.gif]

May have blown ordering for BD11 or maybe a chance to restock.

Well done Bill! [berserker.gif]

Went deep as well. Yet to have a bad wine from Marcus.

What’s pricing on these?

31/40/56 @ 20% off Crazy good deals - As a long time Rhys customer this is amazing qpr and for my taste flat out better. Particularly PN -