Heritage Auction - Familiar Cellar Name

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Tmason

Re: Heritage Auction - Familiar Cellar Name

#51 Post by Tmason » September 22nd, 2019, 2:12 pm

Mark, I looked at the list of unsold wines and saw a lot of older wines. I was hesitant to buy because of stated condition. I am very conservative and look for old wines with fills in the base neck. Also, I did not see any photos. Maybe I just did not look in the right place. I found the website very confusing.
T o m Mason

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#52 Post by c fu » September 22nd, 2019, 2:17 pm

Tmason wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 2:12 pm
Mark, I looked at the list of unsold wines and saw a lot of older wines. I was hesitant to buy because of stated condition. I am very conservative and look for old wines with fills in the base neck. Also, I did not see any photos. Maybe I just did not look in the right place. I found the website very confusing.
No photos.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/clayfu.wine

YLee

#53 Post by YLee » September 22nd, 2019, 2:19 pm

Tmason wrote:
I too found the website very confusing. It wasnt user friendly for me.
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#54 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » September 22nd, 2019, 3:30 pm

I’m a regular Heritage customer - not just for wine - and I don’t find the site any more difficult to navigate than any other auction site. For the wine auctions, I do find it puzzling that they don’t post photos. I expect that’s a dealbreaker for many potential bidders.

FWIW I didn’t bid on this auction.

M. Meer

#55 Post by M. Meer » September 22nd, 2019, 3:38 pm

Tmason wrote:
Also, I did not see any photos.
Prior to an auction, I have emailed to request photos for wines from the 70s, and they have supplied them in advance.

Heritage has been good at accurately detailing condition, and I have opted to buying items more recently released, so I don't ask anymore. But, that's what I would do if I were bidding on an old wine.
Mar.kus

John J
GCC Member
GCC Member

#56 Post by John J » September 22nd, 2019, 3:49 pm

M. Meer wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 3:38 pm
Tmason wrote:
Also, I did not see any photos.
Prior to an auction, I have emailed to request photos for wines from the 70s, and they have supplied them in advance.

Heritage has been good at accurately detailing condition, and I have opted to buying items more recently released, so I don't ask anymore. But, that's what I would do if I were bidding on an old wine.
For the items I was interested, they supplied great photos for all the items within a day or so.
J. Johnson

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#57 Post by Sh@n A » September 22nd, 2019, 3:59 pm

How profitable are these auction houses? Presumably they pay for shipping to their auction center and inspect wines. They then guarantee a low selling price and take a vig off the seller. And then charge 20% from the buyer, can charge expensive shipping (at times) and now have to charge tax. They do not have auctions every day, so have fixed costs over the year, which I imagine is problematic (absorbing the overhead). No axe to grind here.. just wondering... I always thought StubHub would see more competition given the fees they charge, and these auction houses do have competition (so many auction houses vs. just one stub hub) yet fees haven't come down.
/ @ g r @ \

jordan whitehead

#58 Post by jordan whitehead » September 22nd, 2019, 5:20 pm

Sh@n A wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 3:59 pm
No axe to grind here.. just wondering... I always thought StubHub would see more competition given the fees they charge, and these auction houses do have competition (so many auction houses vs. just one stub hub) yet fees haven't come down.
there are numerous ticket sites competing with stubhub. Stubhub just has highest market share
www.annaswish.org

Sh@n A
GCC Member
GCC Member

#59 Post by Sh@n A » September 22nd, 2019, 5:32 pm

jordan whitehead wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 5:20 pm
Sh@n A wrote:
No axe to grind here.. just wondering... I always thought StubHub would see more competition given the fees they charge, and these auction houses do have competition (so many auction houses vs. just one stub hub) yet fees haven't come down.
there are numerous ticket sites competing with stubhub. Stubhub just has highest market share
Not sure what your point of contention is, as you agree Stubhub is a dominant player in ticket sales (unless you are arguing with the literal point that there are many other ways one can buy a concert ticket?)
/ @ g r @ \

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#60 Post by c fu » September 22nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

Andrew A r n t f i e l d wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 3:30 pm
I’m a regular Heritage customer - not just for wine - and I don’t find the site any more difficult to navigate than any other auction site. For the wine auctions, I do find it puzzling that they don’t post photos. I expect that’s a dealbreaker for many potential bidders.

I don't think posting photos is the norm. I also don't think it matters to most people otherwise auction houses would not be doing so hot as most don't put up photos
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Jason L Jones
GCC Member
GCC Member

#61 Post by Jason L Jones » September 23rd, 2019, 7:28 am

I was able to pick up a few lots of 1990-2001 Bordeaux, and was outbid on some others because I wasn't in front of my computer on Saturday. It took me a good long while to prioritize my bidding given the quantity of excellent lots. Heritage is not in my usual rotation, so thanks to the OP for bringing attention to this.

David Glasser
GCC Member
GCC Member

#62 Post by David Glasser » September 23rd, 2019, 7:30 am

Sh@n A wrote:
How profitable are these auction houses? Presumably they pay for shipping to their auction center and inspect wines. They then guarantee a low selling price and take a vig off the seller. And then charge 20% from the buyer, can charge expensive shipping (at times) and now have to charge tax. They do not have auctions every day, so have fixed costs over the year, which I imagine is problematic (absorbing the overhead). No axe to grind here.. just wondering... I always thought StubHub would see more competition given the fees they charge, and these auction houses do have competition (so many auction houses vs. just one stub hub) yet fees haven't come down.
I have no idea what their P&Ls look like. I do know that shipping and seller's commission are negotiable. Resources devoted to inspection seem variable from house to house. Some do have online wine auctions running frequently, and some auction more than wine.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#63 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 23rd, 2019, 7:41 am

Tmason wrote:
A lot of the wines came from the Uk and Europe, particularly Belgium, and frankly I would be very suspicious if wines from the fifties or before were into the neck. I have had wines from the cellars before, and I totally trust the vendor. There was one major exception, some 1929 La Mission that came from Doris Duke.

I have actually asked Heritage to remove at least temporarily those older wines, as I expected them to go at mid estimate or better, and I really do not want to sell them at the reserve which happens in the post auction sales.
ITB

Ian Dorin

#64 Post by Ian Dorin » September 23rd, 2019, 8:25 am

c fu wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

I don't think posting photos is the norm. I also don't think it matters to most people otherwise auction houses would not be doing so hot as most don't put up photos
The amount of work and time that it would take to photograph every bottle that goes in to a sale would be daunting. You can't use stock photography. Imagine having to open every OWC and professionally photographing it? You are talking thousands of bottles.
ITB

“I spent half my money on gambling, alcohol and wild women. The other half I wasted.” -WC Fields

Zachy's

Andrew A r n t f i e l d
GCC Member
GCC Member

#65 Post by Andrew A r n t f i e l d » September 23rd, 2019, 9:27 am

Ian Dorin wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 8:25 am
c fu wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

The amount of work and time that it would take to photograph every bottle that goes in to a sale would be daunting. You can't use stock photography. Imagine having to open every OWC and professionally photographing it? You are talking thousands of bottles.
I disagree, Ian. Heritage is a huge auction house with regular auctions in memorabilia, coins, comics / comic art, geological artifacts, jewelry, watches, automobiles, real estate... and they photograph all of the lots in all of their other auctions. We're talking thousands and thousands of items every week. I can't see how photographing wine bottles would be any more onerous than photographing all those other items. I've consigned things to their auctions (not wine) and I know that they have a department that's dedicated specifically to photography.

As for other houses and photography, off the top of my head Spectrum, Leland Little, Winebid, and K&L auctions all have photography of their wines.

A Rubin Stein

#66 Post by A Rubin Stein » September 23rd, 2019, 10:13 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 6:38 am
It was tough, I was expecting a little more. Not a great week for wine auctions, sale at the other houses were also little lackluster.
Mark, your auction faced direct competition from Zachys and Hart Davis, on the same weekend. And Zachys is having another live auction next week. There is a lot of supply out there. I was at the Zachys auction on Friday. There, and at your auction, there were some good opportunities for buyers. It's a lot different than a couple of years ago, when auction sales were at highs. The recession speculation doesn't help, either.
a s h e r

M. Meer

#67 Post by M. Meer » September 23rd, 2019, 10:34 am

September 23rd, 2019, 9:27 am
I've consigned things to their auctions (not wine) and I know that they have a department that's dedicated specifically to photography.
Perhaps it's logistical. The wines are stored in a separate climate control facility, at least in CA.
Mar.kus

Todd F r e n c h
Site Admin
<dfn>Site Admin</dfn>

#68 Post by Todd F r e n c h » September 23rd, 2019, 10:35 am

How about some of them on Commerce Corner!?
Apparently I'm lazy, have a narrow agenda, and offer little in the way of content and substance (RMP) (and have a "penchant for gossip" -KBI)

Nathan V.

#69 Post by Nathan V. » September 23rd, 2019, 10:45 am

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 10:35 am
Because dealing with shipping as an individual is problematic and then dealing with purchaser can be problematic. That's why I don't.

I tried to post a link to the Leland Little auction where I had submitted about 4 cases of wine. I though that people would be interested in purchasing Rougeard that came from my cellar since it has impeccable provenance (including receipts) but I guess that is against the rules.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Nathan V.

#70 Post by Nathan V. » September 23rd, 2019, 10:49 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
It was tough, I was expecting a little more. Not a great week for wine auctions, sale at the other houses were also little lackluster. But pretty well all sold, except for some reason the older wines did not. So happy to bring them home. And thank you all for bidding.
Mark, I had a few wines in the Leland Little auction on Thursday and it didn't do as well as I had hoped. For any wine that was on Wine-Searcher it went below the W-S low. I think part of that is that what I submitted are thinly traded wines like Clos Rougeard and (to a lesser extent) Mugneret-Gibourg. This was sort of a trial balloon to see if the W-S prices were real market clearing prices.

I followed the HDH auction and found the results softening as well. It may be that we've reached the peak for this bubble cycle, but the bubble for some wines is incredibly high.

Maybe somewhat related, I'm getting bigger allocations on high-end Burgundy because other accounts are passing on them.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#71 Post by Mike Evans » September 23rd, 2019, 11:10 am

Ian Dorin wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 8:25 am
When I first started following Heritage, the monthly wine auctions included photos of each lot. It was quite nice with the whites as they were back lit so you could get a good sense of color differences.

Mike Evans
GCC Member
GCC Member

#72 Post by Mike Evans » September 23rd, 2019, 11:47 am

I ended up with 9 of Mark’s lots and two other lots. I spent more in total than I intended but I filled some holes in my cellar and managed to resist the temptation to chase a few lots past the limits I’d set for them so I’m happy.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#73 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 23rd, 2019, 12:47 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Will do. Some German wines and a couple of Barolos. Probably take a couple of weeks.
ITB

Victor Hong

#74 Post by Victor Hong » September 23rd, 2019, 12:50 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 12:47 pm
Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Will do. Some German wines and a couple of Barolos. Probably take a couple of weeks.
When Heritage e-mailed a pre-auction apology for incontinence, it may have been prescient. [wow.gif]
WineHunter.

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#75 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 23rd, 2019, 12:57 pm

No, Heritage did a fine job. I am disappointed, but there were plenty of external reasons for the results, and I don’t think Heritage could have done much more.
ITB

Victor Hong

#76 Post by Victor Hong » September 23rd, 2019, 3:24 pm

I meant only the market, not the auction house. pileon
WineHunter.

Brent S

#77 Post by Brent S » September 23rd, 2019, 4:21 pm

I attended the auction at the Beverly Location. Of the 10 or so items I bid on, I was outbid (online) by maybe 6 of them and I landed 4.

I ended up with the 2006 Ponsot Clos de la roche (which was a deal) but also got the 2007 Fourrier Clos st Jacques which I overpaid for [truce.gif] and the 2008 which was still expensive
Brent S

Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member

#78 Post by Dan Hammer » September 23rd, 2019, 4:35 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
This is a good idea for locals. I would love to enhance my California wines with a few better ones from a trusted source. Then maybe Mark would be able to enjoy something from my cellar. [cheers.gif]

dh
This space for rent.

Tmason

#79 Post by Tmason » September 23rd, 2019, 6:02 pm

My experience with older bottles has been mixed enough that I am not going to buy a '59 Margaux without a photo. I don't really plug into the vhs, ts, etc. descriptions. Others may. Just how I approach auctions. (And I have seen older bottles with fills into the neck although nowadays that would raise questions about authenticity.)
T o m Mason

Tmason

#80 Post by Tmason » September 23rd, 2019, 6:05 pm

And Mark, I think you did well off the lot that I did get. #204. Rare stuff that I thought I would never see again so I took a chance.
T o m Mason

jordan whitehead

#81 Post by jordan whitehead » September 23rd, 2019, 9:27 pm

Brent S wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 4:21 pm

I ended up with the 2006 Ponsot Clos de la roche (which was a deal)
I believe I was the under bidder
www.annaswish.org

Tom Reddick
GCC Member
GCC Member

#82 Post by Tom Reddick » September 24th, 2019, 8:52 pm

Nathan V. wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 10:49 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
It was tough, I was expecting a little more. Not a great week for wine auctions, sale at the other houses were also little lackluster. But pretty well all sold, except for some reason the older wines did not. So happy to bring them home. And thank you all for bidding.
Mark, I had a few wines in the Leland Little auction on Thursday and it didn't do as well as I had hoped. For any wine that was on Wine-Searcher it went below the W-S low. I think part of that is that what I submitted are thinly traded wines like Clos Rougeard and (to a lesser extent) Mugneret-Gibourg. This was sort of a trial balloon to see if the W-S prices were real market clearing prices.

I followed the HDH auction and found the results softening as well. It may be that we've reached the peak for this bubble cycle, but the bubble for some wines is incredibly high.

Maybe somewhat related, I'm getting bigger allocations on high-end Burgundy because other accounts are passing on them.
I agree. The spring season saw a lot of records shattered and so a lot of big sellers have come into the fall hoping to cash out I think.

At Acker's first fall NYC Auction, the majority of the 22 Giacosa lots did not sell, and I think only one went within estimate range. That is about an abrupt of a downturn as I have ever seen in the wine markets. But many other things did well.

Still, if you look at what is coming up at Zachy's that suggests to me there will be even more A-list giant collections coming this year- with a heavy emphasis on 2005, Giacosa, Rousseau and anything else that has been bid up lately.

That said, even if there is a 10-20% drop on average (what I think is most probable), that still leaves investor sellers sitting pretty overall unless they bought within the past 2 years.
ITB - Cellar appraisals

Nathan V.

#83 Post by Nathan V. » September 25th, 2019, 6:20 am

Tom Reddick wrote:
September 24th, 2019, 8:52 pm
Nathan V. wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 10:49 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:

I agree. The spring season saw a lot of records shattered and so a lot of big sellers have come into the fall hoping to cash out I think.

At Acker's first fall NYC Auction, the majority of the 22 Giacosa lots did not sell, and I think only one went within estimate range. That is about an abrupt of a downturn as I have ever seen in the wine markets. But many other things did well.

Still, if you look at what is coming up at Zachy's that suggests to me there will be even more A-list giant collections coming this year- with a heavy emphasis on 2005, Giacosa, Rousseau and anything else that has been bid up lately.

That said, even if there is a 10-20% drop on average (what I think is most probable), that still leaves investor sellers sitting pretty overall unless they bought within the past 2 years.
Also need to keep in mind that the estimates themselves have maybe even doubled in the last year or two. I do think that the W-S low price on a lot of these thinly traded wines isn't real. I agree with whomever put forth the "curated" theory. These "shops" want to look like they have all the shiznit so price it ridiculously. The difference between W-S low and what I realized for Rougeard and M-G shows this to be the case, IMO. It was my test balloon.
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#84 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 8:50 am

Seems that the major foreign players were not bidding as much as they have in the past, particularly Hong Kong. The political troubles and economic woes of China, as well as Brexit worries keeping the Brits away, really contributed to the softening everywhere. I may look back at this and think I may not have hit the top of the market, but if this continues, I may have done well.
ITB

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#85 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 8:51 am

I did release most of the unsold, and in many cases reduced post auction buy prices for those looking for a good buy.
ITB

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#86 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 25th, 2019, 9:00 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
I did release most of the unsold, and in many cases reduced post auction buy prices for those looking for a good buy.

Link?

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#87 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 9:01 am

Tmason wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 6:05 pm
And Mark, I think you did well off the lot that I did get. #204. Rare stuff that I thought I would never see again so I took a chance.
Good buy; purchased several years ago from HDH.
ITB

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#88 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 9:15 am

I will post on Commerce Corner after they have finished inputting. It should be later today
ITB

Marcu$ Stanley

#89 Post by Marcu$ Stanley » September 25th, 2019, 9:39 am

The Golodetz name weakened me enough to end a lengthy buying moratorium and splurge on some 96 Jadot Bonne Mares -- you got me off the wagon, Mark [cheers.gif] ! Big acquisition for me as I normally cannot play in the grand cru Burgundy space but Jadot prices are not as crazy as other producers. At least I know it's been well stored!

Agree with others that we are in a bubble and prices are weakening. probably connected to recent weakening of the stock market and recession fears. The argument that wine prices somehow are uncorrelated to stocks and hence "diversify" you was always crazy.

I can't help thinking that over the long run prices of super-prestige wines like Bordeaux and Burgundy are bound to drop, due to both increasing supply of quality vintages and the fact that the upcoming younger generation is just not as into the traditional prestige regions any more.

Nathan V.

#90 Post by Nathan V. » September 25th, 2019, 10:04 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 8:51 am
Are these listed on the Heritage site?
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#91 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 10:18 am

Yes but I will also put in Commerce Corner
ITB

Nathan V.

#92 Post by Nathan V. » September 25th, 2019, 10:49 am

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 10:18 am
I was told you can't put a link in CC to an auction your wines are featured in. [shrug]
ITB-ish.
V = V a n der g r i f t

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#93 Post by c fu » September 25th, 2019, 10:53 am

Nathan V. wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 10:49 am
Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 10:18 am
I was told you can't put a link in CC to an auction your wines are featured in. [shrug]
If he's posting direct links to the auction we'll delete it.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#94 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 11:23 am

Charlie,
I am not planning to put a link as to what there is left AFTER the auction. I was planning a cut and paste.

If it violates house rules, let me know, and I won’t do it.
ITB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#95 Post by c fu » September 25th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 11:23 am
Charlie,
I am not planning to put a link as to what there is left AFTER the auction. I was planning a cut and paste.

If it violates house rules, let me know, and I won’t do it.
Doesn't matter. If you are posting to direct people to purchase from an auction house, we do not allow it. If you're selling it personally that's a different matter
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#96 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 1:05 pm

I think it’s dumb, since there is no actual auction involved.
Sorry guys
ITB

c fu
<dfn>Moderator</dfn>

#97 Post by c fu » September 25th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 1:05 pm
Sorry guys
We don’t allow people to post consignments on CC. Whether it be an active auction or a sales consignment. Otherwise CC would be flooded by it.

We’ve already allowed this thread to stay up here.
Ch@rlie F|_|
"Roulot is Roulot"©

Robert.A.Jr.
GCC Member
GCC Member

#98 Post by Robert.A.Jr. » September 25th, 2019, 1:23 pm

Mark Golodetz wrote:
September 25th, 2019, 1:05 pm
Sorry guys
Mark,

I accept Cheval Blanc as payment for my hourly rate (1:1). Just say when, I'll crush that young LA Hipster associate.

[wow.gif]

"@lf3rt was clearly raised in an outhouse in the Loire. . . ."

Kenny H (circa 2015)

Dennis Borczon
GCC Member
GCC Member

#99 Post by Dennis Borczon » September 25th, 2019, 1:31 pm

When the tide goes out...we will see who is drinking and who was just waiting for a bigger wave to wash in. The 18's and now the 19's in Burgundy may be quite good, and Hong Kong may have other things on its mind!

Mark Golodetz
GCC Member
GCC Member

#100 Post by Mark Golodetz » September 25th, 2019, 1:43 pm

Todd F r e n c h wrote:
Charlie is getting way too heavy handed for my liking. I think leave it be for the time being.
ITB

Return to “Wine Talk”