Kutch Fall Release, Save the date!

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

Kutch Fall Release, Save the date!

#1 Post by mattcitrang » September 3rd, 2019, 11:09 am

Dear Kutch Mailing List Member:

We would like to alert you that beginning on Thursday, September 5th, we will release our final four wines from the 2017 vintage:

2017 McDougall Ranch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
The Prince of Pinot, Rusty 95 Points
Vinous, Antonio Galloni 95 Points
View from the Cellar, John Gilman 94 Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 94 Points
Burghound, 93 Points
Jancis Robinson, 17 out of 20 points

2017 Bohan Graveyard Block Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
View from the Cellar, John Gilman 94+ Points
Vinous, Antonio Galloni 94 Points
The Prince of Pinot, Rusty 94 Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 93 Points
Burghound, 92 Points

2017 Trout Gulch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains
Vinous, Antonio Galloni (92-94) Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 93+ Points

2017 Signal Ridge Pinot Noir Mendocino Ridge
The Prince of Pinot, Rusty 93 Points
Burghound, 92 Points
View from the Cellar, John Gilman 92+Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 91+ Points

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Kutch Fall Release, Save the date!

#2 Post by Chris Seiber » September 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am

Frank Murray is going to be so excited about all those points. neener

I really liked the Graveyard pinot at Falltacular. I'll be sure to get some of those.

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#3 Post by RyanC » September 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am

The Chardonnay is the prize for me. Jamie is batting 1.000 so far on his Chards, and I could be wrong but I think Trout Gulch was the source of Jamie's reference-quality 2014 SC Chard.
C@ughey

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#4 Post by MitchTallan » September 3rd, 2019, 11:33 am

OK, I will likely buy some incoming (again) for this comment, but may I ask why fully 50% of your many posts are to alert fellow WB's of mailing list offers? If we exclude the topic of golf, it would be closer to 75%.
What am I missing?
Your fellow WB's who are on the list would see the same thing you are seeing. Those who are not would be very unlikely to be able to buy, even if they were interested.
So again, I know I am an a-hole but my innate sociologist self would like to comprehend your intent.

Alex A

#5 Post by Alex A » September 3rd, 2019, 11:42 am

MitchTallan wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 11:33 am
OK, I will likely buy some incoming (again) for this comment, but may I ask why fully 50% of your many posts are to alert fellow WB's of mailing list offers? If we exclude the topic of golf, it would be closer to 75%.
What am I missing?
Your fellow WB's who are on the list would see the same thing you are seeing. Those who are not would be very unlikely to be able to buy, even if they were interested.
So again, I know I am an a-hole but my innate sociologist self would like to comprehend your intent.
Very easy to explain, emails go to spam, emails go missing, ISPs screw up. It's actually a nice reminder, you can look at the Ultramarine thread, many people who have been buying and on allocation, didn't seem to have gotten emails. Crap fails all the time, it's technology...
Alex Attarian

RyanC
GCC Member
GCC Member

#6 Post by RyanC » September 3rd, 2019, 12:00 pm

MitchTallan wrote:
What am I missing?
These posts invite discussion of the new release, which informs time-sensitive buying decisions.
C@ughey

John Walter

#7 Post by John Walter » September 3rd, 2019, 12:03 pm

This board sure does have a lot of pricks on it. Perhaps he posted it to benefit some us who may have not received the email notice! I, for one, never received either the Carter nor Rhys offering emails earlier this year. Had it not been for fellow board members posting the notice/email, I would have missed both.
Good grief, pick something else to bitch about or go kick your dog.🤦🏻‍♂️

MitchTallan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#8 Post by MitchTallan » September 3rd, 2019, 12:21 pm

John Walter wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 12:03 pm
This board sure does have a lot of pricks on it. Perhaps he posted it to benefit some us who may have not received the email notice! I, for one, never received either the Carter nor Rhys offering emails earlier this year. Had it not been for fellow board members posting the notice/email, I would have missed both.
Good grief, pick something else to bitch about or go kick your dog.🤦🏻‍♂️
You must be thinking of my brother Rick. I am "Mitch the Bitch". Or "a-hole". But not a "prick".
This Board has been kind of staid lately, so I figured no harm in stirring up some dust.
I am sooooo glad you didn't miss out on your Carter and Rhys. What ever would you have done?
We must fight spam filters; they are the bane of our wine enthusiast universe! Spam filter fighters, unite! Thank God in the meantime for incoming alerts.
I still want to know from a sociological study point of view why the OP rarely posts something other than incomings.
I suspect that nothing makes a buyer of high-priced wines feel better than knowing his raft has many others occupants afloat on it catching the same gamma rays.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#9 Post by Frank Murray III » September 3rd, 2019, 12:49 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 11:15 am
Frank Murray is going to be so excited about all those points. neener

I really liked the Graveyard pinot at Falltacular. I'll be sure to get some of those.
Excited, yes, for about 3 seconds and then it wears off.

Jamie's 2017s and have been terrific wines. I'll be buying, as usual.
My WOTY candidates for 2019:
2014 Marie Courtin Eloquence BdB Extra Brut
2017 Rivers-Marie PN Platt SC
2017 Kutch Pinot Noir SC PN
2009 Roederer Cristal Brut
2017 Carlisle Zin Mancini Ranch RRV

My best wines of 2018:
2017 Kutch Falstaff Sonoma Coast PN
2012 Marguet La Grande Ruelle Ambonnay

Kindness matters.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#10 Post by mattcitrang » September 3rd, 2019, 1:15 pm

grouphug

dcornutt
GCC Member
GCC Member

#11 Post by dcornutt » September 3rd, 2019, 1:52 pm

RyanC wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 11:28 am
The Chardonnay is the prize for me. Jamie is batting 1.000 so far on his Chards, and I could be wrong but I think Trout Gulch was the source of Jamie's reference-quality 2014 SC Chard.
Me too! I want this.
DON Cornutt

"Before you eat or drink anything, carefully consider with whom you eat or drink rather than what you
eat or drink,because eating without a friend is the life of the lion or the wolf." Epicurius

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#12 Post by T. Melloni » September 3rd, 2019, 2:19 pm

Speaking of the wines, as I recall, I enjoyed the 2017 Kutch Trout Gulch Chardonnay tasted at Falltacular. Bright citrus/green apple and a beautiful floral nose. Nice saline touch too.

As for Bohan - that has not impressed me as much as the other wines. Even with all "those points." I have a similar view on Hirsch Vineyards Bohan-Dillon Pinot. I find the tart acidity to not be supported by fruit.

The McDougall is one I get excited about. That wine has a bigger red fruit profile but remains fresh with acidity.

I am curious to see what the whole cluster usage will be in these wines.
Limit of 32 characters; I am #33

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#13 Post by Chris Seiber » September 3rd, 2019, 2:57 pm

RyanC wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 12:00 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
What am I missing?
These posts invite discussion of the new release, which informs time-sensitive buying decisions.
I don't speak for Matt, but this is my assumption as well. The point is to have a timely conversation about the release and about the producer generally.

It is also true, though, that I've become aware of releases I missed or had forgotten by virtue of these kinds of threads. On the other hand, a couple of times I've seen a dumpster dive bump of a thread last year about a release, got weirded out because I hadn't gotten the email and didn't appear to have an allocation, before I realized it was an old thread.

Paul Miller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#14 Post by Paul Miller » September 3rd, 2019, 3:04 pm

RyanC wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 12:00 pm
MitchTallan wrote:
What am I missing?
This

brigcampbell
GCC Member
GCC Member

#15 Post by brigcampbell » September 3rd, 2019, 3:46 pm

dcornutt wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 1:52 pm
RyanC wrote:
Me too! I want this.
Trout Gulch is right above Aptos just south of Santa Cruz, *really*close to the ocean. It'd be interesting to compare the various producers of TG chardonnay blind from the same vintage; Ceritas, Alfaro, Arnot Roberts, and Kutch.

See what oak, pick dates, and wine making style differ in the final product.

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#16 Post by Russ Williams » September 3rd, 2019, 3:49 pm

T. Melloni wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 2:19 pm
Speaking of the wines, as I recall, I enjoyed the 2017 Kutch Trout Gulch Chardonnay tasted at Falltacular. Bright citrus/green apple and a beautiful floral nose. Nice saline touch too.

As for Bohan - that has not impressed me as much as the other wines. Even with all "those points." I have a similar view on Hirsch Vineyards Bohan-Dillon Pinot. I find the tart acidity to not be supported by fruit.

The McDougall is one I get excited about. That wine has a bigger red fruit profile but remains fresh with acidity.

I am curious to see what the whole cluster usage will be in these wines.
I opened a 2014 Bohan recently that was showing beautifully with nice cherry, raspberry and strawberry fruit, nice acidity that lifted the fruit and a delicious spicy herbal note on the finish. You may want to reconsider as I think the Bohan improves significantly with time in the cellar. But, as always, YMMV. [cheers.gif]
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Russ Williams
GCC Member
GCC Member

#17 Post by Russ Williams » September 3rd, 2019, 3:54 pm

brigcampbell wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 3:46 pm
dcornutt wrote:
September 3rd, 2019, 1:52 pm
RyanC wrote:
Me too! I want this.
Trout Gulch is right above Aptos just south of Santa Cruz, *really*close to the ocean. It'd be interesting to compare the various producers of TG chardonnay blind from the same vintage; Ceritas, Alfaro, Arnot Roberts, and Kutch.

See what oak, pick dates, and wine making style differ in the final product.
I believe the 2016 Model Farm SC Mountains Chard is also made up of mostly TG.
Listen to more Jerry, it will heal your soul.
9/1/74 - Keystone Berkeley

Brent S

#18 Post by Brent S » September 3rd, 2019, 8:51 pm

I’m thrilled that people announce these releases. I’ve joined many a list based purely upon the enthusiasm that I see from so many other posters. I’ve joined this list, rivers Marie, myriad and a few others simply based on the glowing comments.

Please-post all new releases from relatively obscure/low production/new wineries so we know whst to keep an eye out for from what people are excited about
Brent S

Degarmo.j

#19 Post by Degarmo.j » September 3rd, 2019, 8:57 pm

I personally like when people post the save the date. It always starts a conversation about the wine/winery being released and thoughts and comments from people who have tried them.
J o u r d a i n

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#20 Post by joeduncan » September 3rd, 2019, 9:30 pm

Agreed with all of the positive sentiment. I find these threads extremely useful.

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#21 Post by joeduncan » September 3rd, 2019, 9:30 pm

Edit: duplicate post
Last edited by joeduncan on September 5th, 2019, 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robert M yers
Contributor
Contributor

#22 Post by Robert M yers » September 4th, 2019, 7:05 am

Joe, almost 2% of your posts are exact duplicates of themselves. I can’t figure it out, Can’t you hold yourself back from such indulgence?

MBerto

#23 Post by MBerto » September 4th, 2019, 8:27 am

Used to buy these wines, have liked the ones I still have. What's the tariff these days?
M@TT Bert0 lat us
insta @m@tthewbertol@tus (a's not @'s)

Rich Salsano

#24 Post by Rich Salsano » September 4th, 2019, 10:13 am

Robert M yers wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:05 am
Joe, almost 2% of your posts are exact duplicates of themselves. I can’t figure it out, Can’t you hold yourself back from such indulgence?

[rofl.gif]
Richard Salsano

joeduncan
GCC Member
GCC Member

#25 Post by joeduncan » September 4th, 2019, 1:31 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
September 4th, 2019, 7:05 am
Agreed with your positive sentiment champagne.gif

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#26 Post by mattcitrang » September 5th, 2019, 3:25 am

Offer is live now. Order placed.

Kevin Patrick

#27 Post by Kevin Patrick » September 5th, 2019, 5:03 am

Bought a couple cases. Mixed it up this time with a few of just about everything offered.

I poured Jamie's wines for new friends since I moved to Charlotte. Across the board rave reviews for everything I poured.

I write this every time but the statement has always held true, I have yet to have a bottle of Kutch that I didn't enjoy.

Cheers!

David Schliecker

#28 Post by David Schliecker » September 5th, 2019, 11:14 am

Order in. I went for a mixed case, heavier on the Trout Gulch Chard than the others. Pretty excited to try the Bohan Graveyard Block.

Truthfully thankfully someone started this thread as the offer when to my spam folder.

B. Jenny

#29 Post by B. Jenny » September 5th, 2019, 2:07 pm

I started buy less but thought $35 shipping was a little high for ground for 4 bottles.
Bill Jenny

R M Kriete
GCC Member
GCC Member

#30 Post by R M Kriete » September 5th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Bought a variety of pinots to give them a try....now how long do I have to wait to actually taste them?

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#31 Post by Frank Murray III » September 5th, 2019, 9:29 pm

It depends on the bottling. Since you bought a variety, i would say do the 17 SC and Falstaff first. See what you think. These for me are representative of Jamie's success in 17.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Sean_S
GCC Member
GCC Member

#32 Post by Sean_S » September 5th, 2019, 9:37 pm

I certainly agree with Frank, The '17 staff and Sonoma Coast Pinots are both open for business. Amazing floral noses on both of these wines. The '17 staff was group #1 (my #1 as well) in a recent vertical of all staff vintages blind by a group of 14 including Jamie and Joanne. Budget is tight but managed to get some Trout Gulch chard, McDougal pinot, and re-upped on some more 17 Sonoma Coast Pinot.

Sean
CT: Seanwsmithm3
Summit Rd, Redwood Estates, CA

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#33 Post by Frank Murray III » September 5th, 2019, 9:47 pm

Sean, my order sounds exactly like yours. And that 17 Staff, that wine is geen-yus. Best wine that Jamie/Joanna have ever made.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#34 Post by Chris Seiber » September 5th, 2019, 10:18 pm

I just enjoyed a bottle of 2013 Kutch McDougall tonight over the last 4-5 hours. Excellent bottle, light on its feet yet packed with flavor and intensity. Dark cherries, red apple, pine forest, bay leaf, orange, orange peel. Maybe more on the masculine side of the AFWE pinot scale.

I could see it smoothing out more with a few more years of patience, but it's a great ride right now. Paired nicely with grilled Copper River salmon and roasted cauliflower.

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#35 Post by Chris Seiber » September 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm

493AE2DD-5EE3-4441-9F98-78B2692A1798.jpeg

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#36 Post by T. Melloni » September 6th, 2019, 9:47 am

Chris Seiber wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Looks delicious.
How did the milk pair with the salmon?

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#37 Post by Chris Seiber » September 6th, 2019, 10:24 am

T. Melloni wrote:
September 6th, 2019, 9:47 am
Chris Seiber wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:20 pm
Looks delicious.
How did the milk pair with the salmon?
You'll have to ask my 14 year old. He's over 6'5" now, so I think it's helped him develop at least!

Lee Barnard
GCC Member
GCC Member

#38 Post by Lee Barnard » September 6th, 2019, 1:07 pm

Frank Murray III wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 9:47 pm
Sean, my order sounds exactly like yours. And that 17 Staff, that wine is geen-yus. Best wine that Jamie/Joanna have ever made.
Agreed on this. Will have to see how it ages, but I'm assuming fantastically. Used this release to send more to storage.

ncostanzo1
GCC Member
GCC Member

#39 Post by ncostanzo1 » September 6th, 2019, 8:45 pm

Posts about incoming mailers/offers are a time honored WB tradition. I would expect nothing less!!
Nick

Jeff Cassetta

#40 Post by Jeff Cassetta » September 8th, 2019, 6:36 pm

Chris Seiber wrote:
September 5th, 2019, 10:18 pm
I just enjoyed a bottle of 2013 Kutch McDougall tonight over the last 4-5 hours. Excellent bottle, light on its feet yet packed with flavor and intensity. Dark cherries, red apple, pine forest, bay leaf, orange, orange peel. Maybe more on the masculine side of the AFWE pinot scale.

I could see it smoothing out more with a few more years of patience, but it's a great ride right now. Paired nicely with grilled Copper River salmon and roasted cauliflower.

All of Jamie's 2013 are rocking... a Great vintage for the Kutch lineup!

Chris Seiber
GCC Member
GCC Member

#41 Post by Chris Seiber » September 11th, 2019, 9:11 am

I swallowed hard, rehearsed an apology to my wife in my head, and made (for me, I'm not a balla') a big order of these. Very excited about the wines.

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#42 Post by T. Melloni » September 11th, 2019, 1:41 pm

As a general matter, when I receive an email with an offer from a producer from whom I previously purchased, I often pull a bottle and check on an older wine to see if I still want to purchase. Does their wine still provide pleasure, intrigue, interest?
In this case, I pulled the last of my 2011 Kutch Sonoma Coast Pinot.

2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/10/2019)
Pop and pour and tasted without food.
This is very enjoyable. So much better than my three prior bottles.
Deep ruby color. Cloudy.
Nose offers cherries, and blackberries and a slight touch of wood smoke.
Wonderful sour cherry on the intro, with tart cranberry on the mid-point, and a fresh, bright finish, with a hint of red apple peel.

I pulled this intending to have just one glass. I had already eaten dinner, with water as my drink of choice. After dinner, I just wanted a small glass of wine - something good and satisfying. After opening, I poured half into a 375ml bottle and put in the refrigerator. I poured a glass and put the remainder in the original bottle into the fridge, thinking I would try each (the sealed half-bottle, and the remaining wine in the open bottle.
Well, I ended up drinking a full half.
The years of age since release brings material improvement.

This is delicious. I look forward to the remaining half bottle.

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#43 Post by mattcitrang » September 11th, 2019, 1:50 pm

T. Melloni wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 1:41 pm
As a general matter, when I receive an email with an offer from a producer from whom I previously purchased, I often pull a bottle and check on an older wine to see if I still want to purchase. Does their wine still provide pleasure, intrigue, interest?

2011 Kutch Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast (9/10/2019)
Pop and pour and tasted without food.
This is very enjoyable. So much better than my three prior bottles.
Deep ruby color. Cloudy.
Nose offers cherries, and blackberries and a slight touch of wood smoke.
Wonderful sour cherry on the intro, with tart cranberry on the mid-point, and a fresh, bright finish, with a hint of red apple peel.

I pulled this intending to have just one glass. I had already eaten dinner, with water as my drink of choice. After dinner, I just wanted a small glass of wine - something good and satisfying. After opening, I poured half into a 375ml bottle and put in the refrigerator. I poured a glass and put the remainder in the original bottle into the fridge, thinking I would try each (the sealed half-bottle, and the remaining wine in the open bottle.
Well, I ended up drinking a full half.
The years of age since release brings material improvement.

This is delicious. I look forward to the remaining half bottle.
Did you purchase any from the current release?

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#44 Post by T. Melloni » September 11th, 2019, 2:08 pm

mattcitrang wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 1:50 pm
T. Melloni wrote:
September 11th, 2019, 1:41 pm
Did you purchase any from the current release?
Yes!
I already committed before opening up the SC Pinot. I was fortunate to have tasted the Bohan Graveyard Pinot and Trout Gulch Chard at Falltacular. And McDougall was a given, as that tends to be one of my favorite pinot noirs from California. My tasting note may have inherent bias as I like the style of Jamie's wines.

T. Melloni
GCC Member
GCC Member

#45 Post by T. Melloni » September 12th, 2019, 11:06 am

I revisited the 2011 Kutch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir last night, after refrigerating the half bottle saved when the original bottle was opened. This remains fresh, vibrant, with wonderful acidity, and tart, fresh sour cherry/cranberry fruit. Still delicious.
Six years ago when I tasted this soon after release, I found it good, but lacking in elegance. What a difference with 6 years of age. Candidly, I am not sure if that is my changing palate preferences or simply significant improvement in the wine.

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#46 Post by Frank Murray III » September 12th, 2019, 11:54 am

T, thanks for the two impressions on the 2011. I looked and I have one bottle left, and I haven't had the wine since 2016 so your note in CT helps. It's worth pointing out that there are only 3 TNs posted this year so far on the 2011, which includes yours. Yet, there are 1,600 bottles in the community inventory. I wish a few more folks would open and post a note in there like you did. Maybe we can get Counselor Seiber to do another Kutch this week.

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

SeanHarding
GCC Member
GCC Member

#47 Post by SeanHarding » September 12th, 2019, 1:49 pm

I just signed up for the list and picked up some Chard (hey, thanks for posting this thread Matt, because otherwise I wouldn't have known about the release!).

mattcitrang
GCC Member
GCC Member

#48 Post by mattcitrang » September 12th, 2019, 1:51 pm

SeanHarding wrote:
September 12th, 2019, 1:49 pm
I just signed up for the list and picked up some Chard (hey, thanks for posting this thread Matt, because otherwise I wouldn't have known about the release!).
👍

David Mc

#49 Post by David Mc » September 13th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Note to self: do not drink Kutch right before the Kutch fall release opens. Loving the 2014 Chardonnay right now and had to get more.
Mc = M c I n t i r e

Frank Murray III
GCC Member
GCC Member

#50 Post by Frank Murray III » September 13th, 2019, 2:39 pm

David, your post got me to pause. Not because you are drinking the 2014, but me reading into your post that you went out and sourced more 2014. Or did you mean you bought into the 2017 Chards in the offer?

My best wines of 2018:

Kindness matters.

Return to “Wine Talk”