Kutch Fall Release, Save the date!

Dear Kutch Mailing List Member:

We would like to alert you that beginning on Thursday, September 5th, we will release our final four wines from the 2017 vintage:

2017 McDougall Ranch Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir
The Prince of Pinot, Rusty 95 Points
Vinous, Antonio Galloni 95 Points
View from the Cellar, John Gilman 94 Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 94 Points
Burghound, 93 Points
Jancis Robinson, 17 out of 20 points

2017 Bohan Graveyard Block Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
View from the Cellar, John Gilman 94+ Points
Vinous, Antonio Galloni 94 Points
The Prince of Pinot, Rusty 94 Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 93 Points
Burghound, 92 Points

2017 Trout Gulch Chardonnay Santa Cruz Mountains
Vinous, Antonio Galloni (92-94) Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 93+ Points

2017 Signal Ridge Pinot Noir Mendocino Ridge
The Prince of Pinot, Rusty 93 Points
Burghound, 92 Points
View from the Cellar, John Gilman 92+Points
Jeb Dunnuck, 91+ Points

Frank Murray is going to be so excited about all those points. neener

I really liked the Graveyard pinot at Falltacular. I’ll be sure to get some of those.

The Chardonnay is the prize for me. Jamie is batting 1.000 so far on his Chards, and I could be wrong but I think Trout Gulch was the source of Jamie’s reference-quality 2014 SC Chard.

OK, I will likely buy some incoming (again) for this comment, but may I ask why fully 50% of your many posts are to alert fellow WB’s of mailing list offers? If we exclude the topic of golf, it would be closer to 75%.
What am I missing?
Your fellow WB’s who are on the list would see the same thing you are seeing. Those who are not would be very unlikely to be able to buy, even if they were interested.
So again, I know I am an a-hole but my innate sociologist self would like to comprehend your intent.

Very easy to explain, emails go to spam, emails go missing, ISPs screw up. It’s actually a nice reminder, you can look at the Ultramarine thread, many people who have been buying and on allocation, didn’t seem to have gotten emails. Crap fails all the time, it’s technology…

These posts invite discussion of the new release, which informs time-sensitive buying decisions.

This board sure does have a lot of pricks on it. Perhaps he posted it to benefit some us who may have not received the email notice! I, for one, never received either the Carter nor Rhys offering emails earlier this year. Had it not been for fellow board members posting the notice/email, I would have missed both.
Good grief, pick something else to bitch about or go kick your dog.:man_facepalming:t2:

You must be thinking of my brother Rick. I am “Mitch the Bitch”. Or “a-hole”. But not a “prick”.
This Board has been kind of staid lately, so I figured no harm in stirring up some dust.
I am sooooo glad you didn’t miss out on your Carter and Rhys. What ever would you have done?
We must fight spam filters; they are the bane of our wine enthusiast universe! Spam filter fighters, unite! Thank God in the meantime for incoming alerts.
I still want to know from a sociological study point of view why the OP rarely posts something other than incomings.
I suspect that nothing makes a buyer of high-priced wines feel better than knowing his raft has many others occupants afloat on it catching the same gamma rays.

Excited, yes, for about 3 seconds and then it wears off.

Jamie’s 2017s and have been terrific wines. I’ll be buying, as usual.

grouphug

Me too! I want this.

Speaking of the wines, as I recall, I enjoyed the 2017 Kutch Trout Gulch Chardonnay tasted at Falltacular. Bright citrus/green apple and a beautiful floral nose. Nice saline touch too.

As for Bohan - that has not impressed me as much as the other wines. Even with all “those points.” I have a similar view on Hirsch Vineyards Bohan-Dillon Pinot. I find the tart acidity to not be supported by fruit.

The McDougall is one I get excited about. That wine has a bigger red fruit profile but remains fresh with acidity.

I am curious to see what the whole cluster usage will be in these wines.

I don’t speak for Matt, but this is my assumption as well. The point is to have a timely conversation about the release and about the producer generally.

It is also true, though, that I’ve become aware of releases I missed or had forgotten by virtue of these kinds of threads. On the other hand, a couple of times I’ve seen a dumpster dive bump of a thread last year about a release, got weirded out because I hadn’t gotten the email and didn’t appear to have an allocation, before I realized it was an old thread.

This

Trout Gulch is right above Aptos just south of Santa Cruz, reallyclose to the ocean. It’d be interesting to compare the various producers of TG chardonnay blind from the same vintage; Ceritas, Alfaro, Arnot Roberts, and Kutch.

See what oak, pick dates, and wine making style differ in the final product.

I opened a 2014 Bohan recently that was showing beautifully with nice cherry, raspberry and strawberry fruit, nice acidity that lifted the fruit and a delicious spicy herbal note on the finish. You may want to reconsider as I think the Bohan improves significantly with time in the cellar. But, as always, YMMV. [cheers.gif]

I believe the 2016 Model Farm SC Mountains Chard is also made up of mostly TG.

I’m thrilled that people announce these releases. I’ve joined many a list based purely upon the enthusiasm that I see from so many other posters. I’ve joined this list, rivers Marie, myriad and a few others simply based on the glowing comments.

Please-post all new releases from relatively obscure/low production/new wineries so we know whst to keep an eye out for from what people are excited about

I personally like when people post the save the date. It always starts a conversation about the wine/winery being released and thoughts and comments from people who have tried them.

Agreed with all of the positive sentiment. I find these threads extremely useful.