TN: Piper rare 2002

After three bottles in the last week, I realize that I am going to have to slow down, but this is so completely addictive, it is proving hard.

If I think of the continuum, with Krug at one end, sporting richness, complexity and concentration, at the other end is the fragrant light but equally intense Comtes, the Piper is bang in the middle, still with plenty of fragrant lemon peel, iodine and white peach, but some good brioche going on in mid to late palate. Love the finish, gentle and layered and deceptively long.

What I am less sure of, is the slightly vulgar bottling, with all that gold filigree. To be honest all three bottles have their problems; Taittinger and Krug are stupidly large and are hard to store, but at least understated. The Piper much easier to rack, but with that silly gold stuff.

Ha! I agree with you on all fronts. Really good wine the one time I tried it and at one time was available at just over $100.btl. Now $140+ it looks like. And a butt-ugly bottle

Felt this wine was way too creamy for me. That brioche hand was heavy

I’ve still got a couple of bottles in the cellar. I remember when I first tried a sample a few years back and it blew me away. The first few bottles I had after that were equally awesome.

Unfortunately, the last one that I opened wasn’t quite as good for some reason. I’m hoping it was just an “off” bottle but I kept thinking that it was showing some signs of advanced age. I totally get how some people could be put off by the abundance of those creamy, brioche notes as they were much more prominent than I remember in my earlier tastings.

Hopefully those last couple of bottles show well. I’ll be sure to report back.

My wife and I enjoy the Piper a great deal.

Plus, you can take the bottle apart and make a tiara!

I’m a fan of this one as well. I’ve had one off bottle in four or five and that may have been questionable storage. I had to bury my last few because I know I’ll regret it when they’re gone.

I do feel like an idiot when sitting with the garish bottle in a restaurant but it’s not the most tactless thing I’ve ever done in public [cheers.gif] .

Have gone through several cases over several years of release. Each release being more expensive unfortunately. Have to say I am embarrassed to take this to a restaurant because of the bling. Expect people to think I would follow it up with Caymus 50 or something. Great juice. First bottles purchased in 2012 were $99. A bottle I took to Del Friscos a few years ago was added to the bottle trophy line-up. A perfect steakhouse statement.

Have motored through quite a few of these. Such a crowd pleaser. The dosage is high but cut with a line of minerally acidity. It is complex and mildly exotic.

Slightly too creamy for me, personally. As for the bottle, it’s not my cup of tea, but I’ve definitely brought it for dinner with girlfriends with good success.

All my bottles have been excellent, one left.

I bought this from WTSO a few years ago when it was dirt cheap. We then served it blind at a FKALBTG monthly dinner in two flights of two bubblies each:

First Flight:
2002 Pol Roger Champagne Extra Cuvee de Reserve
2002 Pommery Champagne Cuvée Louise Brut

Second Flight:
2002 Piper-Heidsieck Champagne Cuvée Rare
2002 Taittinger Champagne Brut Blanc de Blancs Comtes de Champagne

The Rare got the best reviews of the four, with about 10 people in attendance. It was not blind to me, as the host, and I expected to like the Comtes best, but I preferred the Rare.

PS - And the Bordello style gold filigree bottle is something else!

Only had it once but thoroughly enjoyed it.

Me too.
I have a bottle hidden from myself, in hopes that resolution occurs with time.

Just bought several bottles in the Posner sale after drinking one in mid week. We opened one, and it was perhaps the best of the lot. If the other ones were a 94/95, this one must be a couple of points higher.

A real crowd pleaser.

I believe WTSO had this at a great price years ago.

Yes, and I bought it, and it was great, and I am very annoyed that I did not buy more. November 2014. One bottle free shipping. $119.99. Most NY places are now in the 160 range/

Grapes thanks to 25% sale had it for $108.

The bad news, same vulgar bottle

Timely note as I’m opening one of these in May for my 5th wedding anniversary - it was a wedding gift to us from her parents. Sounds like I will love it. The good is definitely OTT.