TN: 1997 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva Il Poggio

• 1997 Castello di Monsanto Chianti Classico Riserva Il Poggio - Italy, Tuscany, Chianti, Chianti Classico DOCG (9/1/2019)
    Certainly ripe, with sweet meats and tobacco notes on the nose. There’s cherry fruit and it is rich and creamy with a relatively low acid feel. There’s a suggestion of black olive saltiness, some coffee and chocolate development and a finish that is indeed fresh. Tannins have started to meld away.

Posted from CellarTracker

Did you like it? Your description suggests some ambivalence.

It got better in the glass. I thought it was a little soft at first. Quite enjoyed the last glass.

The Riserva is a no-brainer buy each year, I have never actually seen Il Poggio in WA.

Value and age ability is becoming rare, Chianti now delivers it where so many did before.

The Il Poggio is always significantly better (though significantly more expensive) than the Riserva. I would put Il Poggio in the upper echelons of Sangio-based wines (along with the likes of Cepparello, Montevertine, Flaccianello, Rancia, Selvapiana’s Bucerchiale, etc.), but the price has gone up significantly and the availability seems to have gotten worse over the past 6-8 years. When it was $45-$55 it was a good value. Now whenever I see it (which is rare) it seems closer to $75-$85, and at that price I’d probably rather drink a Cepparello.