A great lunch with 10 wines showing their best incl Roederer roses, Esmonin red Burg, 2 Barolos, Montrose and more

A recent lunch at Ca Dario, one of Santa Barbara`s best Italian restaurants, featured some of the best showing of wines I’ve had at one sitting in some time. This could be appropriately called Wine Appreciation Day, a different spin on celebrating what’s in the bottle, because each and every wine showed brilliantly with the exception of one which was flawed to no fault of the wine.

Without no specific wine theme, each of us brought some major winners and I’m still salivating when thinking about the treats we had; it was just one after another. And the food was its usual scrumptious as well.

2012 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT ROSE- I`ve had quite a few bottles of this splendid rose and this one may have been the best yet; pink red color; as with all others, they have been seriously fruity with a perfect spicy accent blended in, but his seemed even more expressive and yet in balance with strawberry, red raspberry and red cherry fruit in spades; it had just enough of a mousse to add great feel and extend the pleasant finish. This and the 2012 Brut are ridiculously good and Louis Reodereer has become my #! champagne house for across the board great bubbly with everything Cristal being the best of the best IMHO.

fullsizeoutput_25c3.jpeg
2008 LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT ROSE- it was a treat to see this coming up next as I’ve not had it before; it was served way too warm which certainly heightened the nose and taste profile considerably, but to the detriment of balance; it was rich and full bodied with wild and yet sweet red cherry/ berry aided by a nice touch of allspice and clove; contrasted to the 12`, this had an red amber color, a bit more weigh and complexity and certainly was more favorful; it had a lightly creamed mousse and once chilled snd re-tasted, everything was more in balance and therefore it now represented more elegance and charm along with depth and complexity; this is amazing rose.
fullsizeoutput_25e4.jpeg
2017 CERITAS PETER MARTIN RAY VINEYARD SANTA CRUZ MOUNTAIN CHARDONNAY- this had aromatics of minerals and lemon grass along with bright acidity and a very pleasing texture; lemon, lime and green apple was most prominent if the fruit profile and it finished gracefully with class.

fullsizeoutput_25e2.jpeg
2013 MAS des cabres SOMMIERES La DRAILLE LANGUEDOC- 45% Grenache, 35% Syrah, 20% Mourvèdre; this was fun and savory with bright red and black fruit notes; it was easy on the palate and at first seemed almost to be a candidate for a summer rose with a bit of a chill on it, but in time, it expanded and became more serious; it probably needs some time to evolve and mature, but has plenty to offer now.

2013 FREDERIC ESMONIN ESTOURNELLES-SAINT-JACQUE GEVREY-CHAMBERTIN 1er Cru- after getting a hit off the nose, I looked up to see what reaction anyone else had and noticed a few eyebrows raising and smile dimples forming and rightfully so as this really had a lot going for it especially beyond the aromatics; spicy, cinnamon laden red fruit translated into fresh red cherry/ berry on the palate and all the way to the back end; it had nice balance and great feel; I went back and back for more and offered my wine glass for a dump bucket for those who were not as impressed. I got a splash more and that was probably more out of kindness than dislike.

fullsizeoutput_25c1.jpeg
1999 CIACCI PICCOLOMINI d`ARGONA BRUNELLO di MONTALCINO PIANROSSO- it starts off with wild red cherry and then some cranberry comes in with a streak of spice evident throughout; it had some heft and yet seemed lightweight; it was very pleasant and held my attention to the back end and then sustained it for a longer time.

fullsizeoutput_25e9.jpeg
2007 MARCHESI MAZZEI SER LAPO CHIANTI CLASSICO RISERVA- the color was a rich, vibrant dark purple; the nose suggested something pretty intense to come and that was true as it had super concentrated dried red and black cherry fruit along with very stiff tannins which led to a mouth puckering finish; the tannic structure suggests this has some stuffing to go extend for longevity and when it reaches its apogee, it really has something more to offer.

fullsizeoutput_25e8.jpeg
2009 GIOVANNI CORINO VIGNETO ARBORINA BAROLO- 4+ hour decant; trusting Robert Panzer who hyped this producer and this release along with many others, I went for a few and this was the first bottle opened to check in and determine when to go back for more later on; I’m delighted I did as it is showing really good now with promises to shine ever so brightly down the line= 10+ years; it had a very enticing nose that led to spicy, leather and milk chocolate infused black currant; it was soft and easy on the palate and showed an underlying structure that also supports longevity.

fullsizeoutput_25e6.jpeg
2011 DAMILANO CEREQUIO BAROLO- 2+ hour decant; I loved this wine for its finesse and elegance; it was truly mellow in every aspect with just a bit of fruit, body, weight and depth which is to say this is a very atypical Barolo, almost the antithesis of such; it was more like a Merlot with plum and blueberry fruit and soft tannins; there was a mild spicy component that added to the pleasure; I`d fail the blind tasting test for calling it a Nebbiolo, but I sure enjoyed drinking it.

fullsizeoutput_25e5.jpeg
2007 YORK CREEK SPRINGHOUSE SPRING MOUNTAIN DISTRICT CABERNET SAUVIGNON- loved this out of the gate with very pleasant aromatics of fresh, earthy black currant which on the palate was joined by blackberry and black cherry with a touch of plum; it was smooth and soft and therefore so easy on the palate; kind of wish I had this in the cellar.

fullsizeoutput_25e7.jpeg
1981 CHATEAU MONTROSE SAINT.-ESTEPHE- nice bring, sadly corked.

fullsizeoutput_25e3.jpeg
We ate and drank well and as referenced early on, each wine was very unique and provided pleasure to all. Great, memorable lunch.

Cheers,
Blake

BB, great notes as always. I hate to put you on the spot but based on your shortish note, would you consider the Ceritas worth the tarrif?

Haven’t seen a Corino note in a while!

Nice tasting, Blake! We went to one of the annual K&L Champagne tasting events a few years ago and the 2008 Roederer Brut Rose was one of the standouts. So much so that my wife gave it her highest praise, which was ‘buy’. We bought a half dozen and still have a few left. A wonderful champagne!

Cheers,
Ed

CJ, sorry for the late reply. I did not know this is a $70+ wine and now that I do, I can answer by saying based upon this one time exposure, I don’t think it is worth the tariff. There’s many others at much less that I would prefer.

Ed, I totally agree and it keeps getting better when I was really happy with the first time through.

As you said, “great lunch”!

Question: did you have the 2014 Ceritas PMR or the 2017 you have pictured? With the Ceritas Chardonnays, those 3 years can mean a lot in regards to how it drinks.

And in my opinion, the Ceritas Chardonnays are well worth the tariff.

Those Roederer vintage roses are awesome, particularly for the money. I have been enjoying the 2012 and 2013, but just received a gift of a 2009. Can’t wait to see what’s within!

Thanks Merrill for the correction as we did have the 17 Ceritas. This was the first and only time I've had it so I'm really not qualified to advise anyone about making the purchase of any vintage other than this one did not show as well as I would like for a "high end" new world Chardonnay. Ill trust your palate to make that call.

Any recent vintage Roederer rose is a gift IMHO.