TNs: 1997 Ciacci Brunello Pianrosso & 2012 JP Fichet Puligny 1er Referts

• 1997 Ciacci Piccolomini d’Aragona Brunello di Montalcino Vigna di Pianrosso - Italy, Tuscany, Montalcino, Brunello di Montalcino (8/31/2019)
    Darker garnet color. Nose of both dried and ripe fruit, leather, scintillating floral notes, earth. Satin-textured layers of earth, dried red plum, vibrant bright cherry, and bits of tar on the palate. Firm, dusty but reigned-in tannin and excellent acidity. Long finish of red fruit echoing in waves, with grip and depth. Pleasure to drink this wine. (93 pts.)
  • 2012 Jean-Philippe Fichet Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru Les Referts - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Puligny-Montrachet 1er Cru (8/31/2019)
    Pale white gold. Nose of high-pitched floral notes, schist, apple core, grapefruit, white stone. Austere notes of limestone and bone-dry white grapefruit counterpointed by hints of creaminess, granny apple, and white peach. Tactile fine-grained tartness grounded in steely acidic spine. Long finish of white fruit and stone with grip and gravitas. Delicious, riveting wine. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the note, Doug. I’ve had nothing but terrific bottles from Fichet although I don’t see them around much anymore.

Frank

My first experience with this producer. Agree fairly rare to see bottles these days. I wish I had purchased more! Superb showing.

Cheers,
Doug

Doug, I had a really knockout bottle of their 2005 Meursault Le Tesson earlier this year: pale brass color, fresh as a daisy, an all around excellent white Burgundy.

Sounds wonderful Frank. I will now be on the lookout for more from this producer.

Cheers,
Doug

Have had good experiences with the Fichet wines.

Good to hear Jeremy. As I recall these bottles were reasonably priced for a 1er.

Cheers
Doug