Colgin

Thinking of taking the plunge this fall and get some Colgin, assuming I get an offer, had it once at a reataurant and I loved it. Which wines are offered in the fall? How would people who have had all the high end Cali wines Harlan, Bond, Bryant etc. would you rate colgin. Ju

Colgin is a stalwart in the Napa cult wine grouping. Almost all of the Napa cult wines have changed some over the years, increasing ABV and depth of fruit. Most will age very gracefully over 20 years. Most need aging or lots of decant time so I am curious what vintage Colgin you had at the restaurant. You can also cheat a little. The former assistant winemaker at Colgin is now the winemaker for Cliff Lede and composed their first 100 point wine. Might be more readily available and cheaper if you can’t get on the mailing list.

Example:

Marshall Gelb opened a 2003 Colgin today for his birthday to accompany BBQ Flannery hangers, Fresno State corn and Thao Farms Chinese long beans.

I want to say it was a 2011 or 12 IX Estate. It was great.

IIRC Tychson Hill and Cariad in the fall (September-ish) and IX and IX Syrah in the spring (February-ish).

Thanks for the info. Do you know the release prices of those two, ballpark?

If you have to ask…check out the auction market for these wines. You can often get them close to original release price, with a decent degree of age. Beware of the occasional pickle barrel wines, I have had older ones that reeked of dill pickles due to some oak choices. Suspect this is better in the 2000’s. For new releases, be prepared to go $350++. Since they sold a substantial share of the winery to the French, there is not much chance these will get discounted in the new era.

Yea, I’ve seen those. Just something about getting it direct from the winery, knowing it’s been stored properly etc. I guess it’s just being new to this level of wine purchasing.

Tychson Hill, Cariad, and IX were $500. IX Syrah was $270.

I received an allocation of 3 Cariad today $500 each.

Decisions decisions on the Cariad. $500 is so steep!

Can’t pull the trigger, finally priced out :frowning:

I signed up not knowing the prices…Basically Auto-priced out.

I got the offer today as well but am not buying. This price is not justifiable for me. $500 per bottle *3 bottles.

VHR large format release tomorrow and Chappellet Pritchard Hill release later this month will be getting some serious spend.

hard to buy when 14 and 15 are on winebid for 280

1 Like

Really hard to jump in at these prices. Gonna visit the estate first and then decide.