2006 Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill Brut

After reading a recent thread about a question re champagne, I saw a few comments by some in the know about the Pol Roger Sir Winston Churchill releases not showing well of late especially in the better vintages. Brad Baker had remarked that only the 06` was up to its high standards and I checked my inventory to discover I had one so I took it to our dinner groups outing a few days ago to see where it is and it was really good, so much so it came in close to the WOTN against some fine right bank Bordeaux and many other gems of the 22 bottles 14 of us drank. {TNs to be published soon}

2006 POL ROGER CUVEE SIR WINSTON CHURCHILL BRUT- disgorged November 2016 at 8 gpl; following its light yellow color, came mild aromatics of fresh made lemon maringue which translated into lemon cream on the palate; it had a frothy feel good mousse, was so rounded and elegant and just exuded class and royalty; past mid palate, a touch of minerals and chalk came in to join the fun; I refrained from shouting out how good it was, but when it came time to vote, others showed their appreciation.

A bit of history: Sir Winston Churchill’s relationship with Pol Roger dates back to 1945 when, during a luncheon given by the British ambassador to France after the liberation of Paris, Churchill met the charming and captivating Odette Pol-Roger. A friendship began which, indulged by his wife Clementine, lasted until his death in 1965. Each year on his birthday, Odette would send Churchill a case of vintage champagne. So close was his relationship with the family that upon his death, Pol Roger put black-bordered labels on all of their bottles destined for the UK. In 1975, Pol Roger went one step further and named their prestige cuvée after him, producing it in the robust and mature style that he liked so much. The exact composition of this cuvée is a family secret but it is likely that Pinot Noir dominates 70-80% of the blend with the remainder being Chardonnay. The grapes are all from Grand Cru vineyards which were under vine during Churchill’s lifetime.

Cheers,
Blake
fullsizeoutput_25dd.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_25de.jpeg

Thanks for the note Blake. I have two. Might have to open one soon.

great info thanks

Thanks for the note, Blake. I’ve only had the “regular” Pol Roger, which I like a lot, but this sounds to be on another level.

Peter, I have had the “reg” and although good, this is as you say, “on another level” or 3.

I bought a case of this at auction and have opened one bottle. I think it is an outstanding champagne and I intend to spread it out one bottle per year for a decade, by which time my palate will be dead. Still young at 13 years old. There’s some yeasty depth to it and the dosage is just enough to take the edge off without any real sweetness.

I do not know if there is a difference in bottle depending on what market it is intended for, but mine was brought into the US from London.

What a good move you made not only to buy a case {assuming a 6 pack}, but to do so from London where it should have been sourced from Pol Roger and the shipping should be of the highest quality.

Actually, two six packs, now that you mention it. I bought it at a Zachy’s auction in NY. When I got the two six packs, they were sealed with the same shipping tape from the same company that shipped us cases of Wendouree from London and there was some other indication that the bottles were originally intended for the UK market. Each bottle has its own OGB and it seems a shame to just toss them. Maybe I will buy some inexpensive NV and gift it in the boxes. newhere

2 6 packs= even a better move. OGB= ? Original Gift Box?