Coupla Cortons

non-commercial post: The consulting winemaker here is an old friend and I do only Languedoc business with him.
2012 Domaine Chandon de Briailles Corton-Marechaudes – Medium-dark ruby color. The aromas are subtle and wonderful, featuring bright red cherry fruit, some black raspberry under, hints of ground coriander seed, more than a touch of minerality and a hint of sous-bois. The palate is light to medium in body, solid and lacy at the same time, with the almost-weightless texture of many great wines. The flavors are somewhat simple compared to the aromas and this is still rather primary, although already a great pleasure. Rated 91.5, my thinking is at least three points of improvement over the next five years. I’ve picked up three more.

2009 Domaine Stephane Brocard Corton-Renardes ‘Closerie des Alisiers’ – Medium dark garnet, much darker than the previous. The aromas are deeper, darker, simpler, featuring black cherry and a hint of blackberry. The palate is much richer but somewhat clunky, lacking in delicacy and delineation. The flavors are ripe, rich and pleasant but not as subtle as the previous. This is more secondary, but without the finesse. A satisfying glass as the weather turns cool, but simply not in the same class. Rated 89, could possibly improve a point over the next couple of years.

Dan Kravitz