2008 Dom Pérignon

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
Message
Author
User avatar
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2673
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#51 Post by Warren Taranow » October 2nd, 2019, 8:55 am

I opened one this past weekend. Better times are ahead, but it’s still fantastic at the moment. Since they’re currently available, every time I’ve opened one from my stash I’ve ordered two more.

Cheers,
Warren
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3196
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#52 Post by Robert M yers » October 2nd, 2019, 7:04 pm

1D880E01-13F5-44DC-AD69-C5D5460EDF62.png
Not sure I see 50 extra bucks in that.

User avatar
alan weinberg
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 13125
Joined: April 25th, 2009, 1:23 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#53 Post by alan weinberg » October 3rd, 2019, 9:12 pm

Warren Taranow wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:55 am
I opened one this past weekend. Better times are ahead, but it’s still fantastic at the moment. Since they’re currently available, every time I’ve opened one from my stash I’ve ordered two more.

Cheers,
Warren
I’ve done the same. Enjoying one tonight. Never seen a bottle of Dom sell for less 10 years later, have you?

User avatar
Warren Taranow
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2673
Joined: June 30th, 2009, 8:24 pm
Location: Pacific Northwest

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#54 Post by Warren Taranow » October 4th, 2019, 11:39 am

alan weinberg wrote:
October 3rd, 2019, 9:12 pm
Warren Taranow wrote:
October 2nd, 2019, 8:55 am
I opened one this past weekend. Better times are ahead, but it’s still fantastic at the moment. Since they’re currently available, every time I’ve opened one from my stash I’ve ordered two more.

Cheers,
Warren
I’ve done the same. Enjoying one tonight. Never seen a bottle of Dom sell for less 10 years later, have you?
Nope. I’ve never seen one drink this well so soon after release either.

Have a great weekend, Alan.

WT
"If the only prayer you ever uttered was thank you, it would suffice."
Meister Eckhart c. 1260 – c. 1328

CT - WST

brodie thomson
Posts: 929
Joined: May 23rd, 2010, 9:25 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#55 Post by brodie thomson » October 4th, 2019, 6:18 pm

Picked some for US$137 from a local retailer having a 20% sale

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3196
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#56 Post by Robert M yers » October 4th, 2019, 8:50 pm

brodie thomson wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 6:18 pm
Picked some for US$137 from a local retailer having a 20% sale
This is the type of deal I’m holding out for, afraid it may not come my way though at this point.

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11523
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#57 Post by Merrill Lindquist » October 5th, 2019, 5:52 am

Robert M yers wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 8:50 pm
brodie thomson wrote:
October 4th, 2019, 6:18 pm
Picked some for US$137 from a local retailer having a 20% sale
This is the type of deal I’m holding out for, afraid it may not come my way though at this point.
I grabbed some at $160 and will open it at home with a nice meal - will not add restaurant costs to it!
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

M. Taylor
Posts: 123
Joined: September 6th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#58 Post by M. Taylor » October 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm

Grabbed 2 at Costco today for $144 per.
M a r k

Barry L i p t o n
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3270
Joined: November 8th, 2009, 8:59 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#59 Post by Barry L i p t o n » October 5th, 2019, 3:54 pm

M. Taylor wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Grabbed 2 at Costco today for $144 per.
Which Costco?

Douglas Breen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 286
Joined: September 1st, 2010, 2:51 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#60 Post by Douglas Breen » October 5th, 2019, 5:55 pm

Santa Cruz Ca. Costco had them last week. I believe $149.

M. Taylor
Posts: 123
Joined: September 6th, 2018, 4:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#61 Post by M. Taylor » October 5th, 2019, 6:14 pm

Barry L i p t o n wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 3:54 pm
M. Taylor wrote:
October 5th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Grabbed 2 at Costco today for $144 per.
Which Costco?
Austin. Actually far north Austin/Cedar Park
M a r k

Darin Kendrick
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 221
Joined: April 13th, 2009, 8:05 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#62 Post by Darin Kendrick » October 7th, 2019, 12:55 pm

Central Market in Dallas had 20% off 6 or more recently. I got them for around 138$ if I remember that correctly. I popped 1 for research about a month ago and agree no other young DP I have had was this approachable.

Lee B e c k e t t
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 53
Joined: March 19th, 2016, 4:25 pm
Location: Texas

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#63 Post by Lee B e c k e t t » October 7th, 2019, 5:31 pm

Texas is well stocked. Sugar Land Costco seems to have an unending supply at $149. The attached liquor store had (emphasis on had) two bottles of 09 Cristal for $180 on the shelf wedged between bottles of Evan Williams. champagne.gif

User avatar
Robert M yers
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3196
Joined: March 10th, 2010, 8:24 pm
Location: Cleveland

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#64 Post by Robert M yers » October 7th, 2019, 5:54 pm

Does Costco do case discounts?

James Todd
Posts: 26
Joined: May 27th, 2019, 11:01 am

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#65 Post by James Todd » October 7th, 2019, 6:03 pm

Robert M yers wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 5:54 pm
Does Costco do case discounts?
Costco does not have case discounts. They occasionally have discounted prices on bottles of wine but that seems to be only on lower end bottles or a final bottle they are trying to get rid of. I'd be very surprised to see Dom discounted there.

Ian Alper
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 302
Joined: May 7th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#66 Post by Ian Alper » October 7th, 2019, 7:05 pm

Douglas Breen - when I was there last week I only saw the 2009. I will have to go back. Thanks! (If you are local, lets do a Santa Cruz offline sometime - I am tired of driving over the hill!)

User avatar
Craig G
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 16054
Joined: March 6th, 2011, 10:57 am
Location: Town of Cats

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#67 Post by Craig G » October 7th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Ian Alper wrote:
October 7th, 2019, 7:05 pm
Douglas Breen - when I was there last week I only saw the 2009. I will have to go back. Thanks! (If you are local, lets do a Santa Cruz offline sometime - I am tired of driving over the hill!)
There are several people in Los Gatos and the mountains who would be interested in Santa Cruz offlines!
“You need to look down to the bottom shelf where they keep the Fighting Cock” — Corey N.

C. Gle@son

User avatar
AndrewH
Posts: 2815
Joined: May 14th, 2010, 1:34 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#68 Post by AndrewH » October 14th, 2019, 7:35 am

Only a deal if you would be paying for shipping and/or state taxes otherwise, but Zurich airport duty free had 2008 Dom for $168 (or a touch under - $ and ChF are about parity). With 10% sales tax in DC, I almost bit but figured the carrying hassle wasn't worth it . . .
Andrew H e i m e r t

User avatar
N. Justl
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 495
Joined: February 3rd, 2009, 5:28 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#69 Post by N. Justl » December 21st, 2019, 9:56 pm

For those in Texas, Buc-ee’s “gas station” has the 2008 for $144. Picked one up on the way to the in-laws at the Madisonville location.
Nick

User avatar
Jason T
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 2478
Joined: June 8th, 2014, 7:45 am
Location: London

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#70 Post by Jason T » December 22nd, 2019, 2:58 am

AndrewH wrote:
October 14th, 2019, 7:35 am
Only a deal if you would be paying for shipping and/or state taxes otherwise, but Zurich airport duty free had 2008 Dom for $168 (or a touch under - $ and ChF are about parity). With 10% sales tax in DC, I almost bit but figured the carrying hassle wasn't worth it . . .
That’s not bad for airport prices. I seem to recall seeing well over that through my various travels in Europe this year.
J@son Tr@ughber

User avatar
Kelly Walker
Posts: 1671
Joined: June 6th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#71 Post by Kelly Walker » December 22nd, 2019, 5:49 am

Snagged 3 cases at my local (Mathews NC) Costco @ $149.
I want to be known by my indulgences.

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#72 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » December 24th, 2019, 10:35 am

I finally broke down and bought some of these. Everyone keeps claiming how well this is drinking now...is it an ager? Thoughts on drinking window?

User avatar
Curtis Chen
Posts: 1250
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#73 Post by Curtis Chen » December 24th, 2019, 10:49 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:35 am
I finally broke down and bought some of these. Everyone keeps claiming how well this is drinking now...is it an ager? Thoughts on drinking window?
LMCTTFY
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

User avatar
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 3890
Joined: March 12th, 2013, 7:32 am

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#74 Post by Sc0tt F!tzger@ld » December 24th, 2019, 10:53 am

C Chen wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:49 am
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:35 am
I finally broke down and bought some of these. Everyone keeps claiming how well this is drinking now...is it an ager? Thoughts on drinking window?
LMCTTFY
Yeah, I looked at CT, but really interested in what the WB "pros" have to say. champagne.gif

Tom G l a s g o w
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7105
Joined: February 19th, 2010, 2:01 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#75 Post by Tom G l a s g o w » December 24th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:53 am
C Chen wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:49 am
Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:35 am
I finally broke down and bought some of these. Everyone keeps claiming how well this is drinking now...is it an ager? Thoughts on drinking window?
LMCTTFY
Yeah, I looked at CT, but really interested in what the WB "pros" have to say. champagne.gif
You picked up ten cases?

James Billy
Posts: 1054
Joined: November 10th, 2016, 6:53 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#76 Post by James Billy » December 24th, 2019, 6:49 pm

This has to be the last big bargain before the big tariffs kick in? Back up the truck!

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#77 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 4:57 am

I’ve spoken to several champagne ppl I trust who say they think the 08 dom is both the best current drinker and has the most potential of any dom released in their lifetime.

User avatar
Blake Brown
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 6602
Joined: May 2nd, 2010, 11:17 pm
Location: Santa Barbara

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#78 Post by Blake Brown » December 25th, 2019, 8:15 am

Barry, seeing you are in Rotterdam and I have an apartment in Amsterdam and visit twice a year, I'm wondering if you access wines like this locally and if so, where? There's one good shop in A-Dam, Chabrol, that has some good high end stuff, but not the 08` DP.
"In victory you deserve Champagne. In defeat, you need it".
Napolean Bonaparte

“Remember gentlemen, it’s not just France we are fighting for, it’s Champagne!” – Winston Churchill

Nick Ryan
Posts: 2810
Joined: October 7th, 2009, 3:24 pm
Location: NorCal

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#79 Post by Nick Ryan » December 25th, 2019, 11:16 am

Sc0tt F!tzger@ld wrote:
December 24th, 2019, 10:35 am
I finally broke down and bought some of these. Everyone keeps claiming how well this is drinking now...is it an ager? Thoughts on drinking window?
The one I opened a few months ago was completely shut down. Nobody else has said this, so maybe I'm an outlier. But I'm not touching the rest of mine for ages.
http://sites.google.com/site/nryan4242/CellarPlannerV11.zip

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#80 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 11:19 am

We opened one last night which took awhile to open up.

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11523
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#81 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am

My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

User avatar
cjsavino
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5568
Joined: April 29th, 2010, 5:00 pm
Location: Cranford NJ

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#82 Post by cjsavino » December 25th, 2019, 11:59 am

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That is magic when you let others learn and understand how great wines can be
Chris
Image

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11523
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#83 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm

cjsavino wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:59 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That is magic when you let others learn and understand how great wines can be
For sure. It was a magical night. They valued something I value. They are wearing "commitment rings" and he calls me "Momma." I could not be happier.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

YLee
Posts: 1945
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#84 Post by YLee » December 25th, 2019, 12:12 pm

Tae sounds like a korean name
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11523
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#85 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 25th, 2019, 12:52 pm

YLee wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 12:12 pm
Tae sounds like a korean name
Yes!
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

YLee
Posts: 1945
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#86 Post by YLee » December 25th, 2019, 1:14 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm
cjsavino wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:59 am
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That is magic when you let others learn and understand how great wines can be
For sure. It was a magical night. They valued something I value. They are wearing "commitment rings" and he calls me "Momma." I could not be happier.
Just curious, are their rings identical or very similar in design? Koreans do something called "Couple Rings".
-¥ 0 ñ 9

User avatar
Merrill Lindquist
BerserkerBusiness
BerserkerBusiness
Posts: 11523
Joined: July 22nd, 2009, 6:58 pm
Location: Calistoga, Napa Valley, CA

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#87 Post by Merrill Lindquist » December 25th, 2019, 1:38 pm

YLee wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 1:14 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 12:06 pm
cjsavino wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:59 am

That is magic when you let others learn and understand how great wines can be
For sure. It was a magical night. They valued something I value. They are wearing "commitment rings" and he calls me "Momma." I could not be happier.
Just curious, are their rings identical or very similar in design? Koreans do something called "Couple Rings".
No. A peridot for her and a titanium one with a design on it for him - he is a sushi chef and needs something rugged.
Merrill
EMH Vineyards - Home of the Black Cat
email:Merrill@EMHVineyards.com

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#88 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That’s surprising; I’ve been generally underwhelmed by the 06 cdc. I feel like the 08 dom is perhaps starting to shut down just a bit.

User avatar
Dan Hammer
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5760
Joined: June 3rd, 2009, 11:05 am
Location: flight Level 3 seven thousand. NYC Metro

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#89 Post by Dan Hammer » December 25th, 2019, 2:29 pm

Raise your hand if you searched for the 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee.

Guilty.
This space for rent.

YLee
Posts: 1945
Joined: September 20th, 2018, 8:09 am

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#90 Post by YLee » December 25th, 2019, 2:31 pm

Not 06 but I have 08
-¥ 0 ñ 9

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#91 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 3:04 pm

Not me; I have had it a couple times; I bought a couple 06 krug just to have the vert but, other than the comtes, I haven’t been a huge fan of any of the 06, although I’ve put away a not insignificant amount of dom for the future. I think the 06 dom is pretty shut down now though. The dom I’m curious about of late is the 09 which was stunning 2 years ago and shut down 6 months ago.

User avatar
Neal.Mollen
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 38365
Joined: January 30th, 2009, 1:26 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#92 Post by Neal.Mollen » December 25th, 2019, 3:08 pm

Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
This is so awesome, Merrill. What a gift you got in return for your generosity
I don't have to speak; she defends me

A drunkard's dream if I ever did see one

User avatar
Ian H
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 237
Joined: February 7th, 2018, 3:57 pm
Location: New Jersey

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#93 Post by Ian H » December 25th, 2019, 3:33 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That’s surprising; I’ve been generally underwhelmed by the 06 cdc. I feel like the 08 dom is perhaps starting to shut down just a bit.
Hope not! I just bought a single solitary bottle of 08 Dom and am planning to open it on NYE....
@@S

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#94 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 3:51 pm

I think it will still be great, just took a few minutes to open up.

User avatar
Mark Y
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 7821
Joined: May 1st, 2009, 11:19 am
Location: Bellevue, WA

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#95 Post by Mark Y » December 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm

Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That’s surprising; I’ve been generally underwhelmed by the 06 cdc. I feel like the 08 dom is perhaps starting to shut down just a bit.
The 06 cdc is going to be way more crowd pleasing than an 08 Dom.
Have had the 06 cdc 3 times in the last year. For me it’s a bit too sweet and fatty. Lacks acidity and that great balance. But it’s good and easy to drink (crowd pleasing).

Had the 08 Dom 2 days ago. Took some air to open up. It blows the 06 cdc away. Altho it itself can use much more bottle age.
Y.e.

User avatar
Curtis Chen
Posts: 1250
Joined: June 27th, 2013, 9:30 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#96 Post by Curtis Chen » December 25th, 2019, 4:08 pm

Mark Y wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That’s surprising; I’ve been generally underwhelmed by the 06 cdc. I feel like the 08 dom is perhaps starting to shut down just a bit.
The 06 cdc is going to be way more crowd pleasing than an 08 Dom.
Have had the 06 cdc 3 times in the last year. For me it’s a bit too sweet and fatty. Lacks acidity and that great balance. But it’s good and easy to drink (crowd pleasing).

Had the 08 Dom 2 days ago. Took some air to open up. It blows the 06 cdc away. Altho it itself can use much more bottle age.
Exactly.
CellarTracker: Curtis Chen

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#97 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 4:58 pm

Mark Y wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That’s surprising; I’ve been generally underwhelmed by the 06 cdc. I feel like the 08 dom is perhaps starting to shut down just a bit.
The 06 cdc is going to be way more crowd pleasing than an 08 Dom.
Have had the 06 cdc 3 times in the last year. For me it’s a bit too sweet and fatty. Lacks acidity and that great balance. But it’s good and easy to drink (crowd pleasing).

Had the 08 Dom 2 days ago. Took some air to open up. It blows the 06 cdc away. Altho it itself can use much more bottle age.
I guess it depends on the crowd. I found the 08 dom the first two times to just disappear and be pretty weightless and too easy to drink even for non wine people like my parents. The vilmart house style isn’t for everyone.

User avatar
Kris Patten
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5480
Joined: February 1st, 2009, 6:25 pm
Location: Seattle

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#98 Post by Kris Patten » December 25th, 2019, 6:43 pm

Mark Y wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 4:04 pm
Mich@el Ch@ng wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 1:56 pm
Merrill Lindquist wrote:
December 25th, 2019, 11:58 am
My daughter and her young man and I had the 2008 Dom last night. Unfortunately it followed a 2006 Vilmart Coeur de Cuvee. The Vilmart completely blew the Dom away. My daughter has some Champagne experience, but Tae had none. Closest to Champagne he has had is a $10-20 bottle of bubbles, which he had not cared for. The eyes on these two was a great Christmas gift. They simply could not believe any drink could be so great. I was right there with them.
That’s surprising; I’ve been generally underwhelmed by the 06 cdc. I feel like the 08 dom is perhaps starting to shut down just a bit.
The 06 cdc is going to be way more crowd pleasing than an 08 Dom.
Have had the 06 cdc 3 times in the last year. For me it’s a bit too sweet and fatty. Lacks acidity and that great balance. But it’s good and easy to drink (crowd pleasing).

Had the 08 Dom 2 days ago. Took some air to open up. It blows the 06 cdc away. Altho it itself can use much more bottle age.
Sorta unfair to put 08 vs. 06 vastly different vintage and characteristics....maybe wait til 2008 CdC comes out. 06 CdC was much better than 06 DO IMO.
ITB

Mich@el Ch@ng
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 5455
Joined: March 31st, 2017, 9:57 pm

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#99 Post by Mich@el Ch@ng » December 25th, 2019, 6:51 pm

We’re discussing coeur de cuvee, not comtes.

I also think it’s a bit of a moving target. The 06 dom was nearly perfect when I had some in ‘16, but the last bottle I had in august wasn’t nearly as good.

JonathanG
GCC Member
GCC Member
Posts: 661
Joined: August 7th, 2019, 10:45 pm
Location: SF Bay Area - Mid Peninsula

Re: 2008 Dom Pérignon

#100 Post by JonathanG » December 25th, 2019, 7:31 pm

Dale Bowers wrote:
September 29th, 2019, 3:23 pm
You guys are lucky, my local CostCo north of Denver doesn’t have a single bottle of anything priced over $20. Anyone know why such a disparity?
Dale they have a huge pallet of them at the costco in gypsum. Just in case you are up in the mountains skiing...
J0|\|@+h@n Gr@h@m

Post Reply

Return to “Wine Talk”