How to judge a baby Bordeaux?

For some reason 2+ years ago I bought a 6 pack futures order of a wine I know nothing about, but one that has a good reputation. I have just picked them up and while I am sure this wine will not reach its best before I drink them all, I want to crack one open before putting the rest to cold sleep. The wine is Chateau Malescot St.Exupery 2016. My question is how best to approach this bottle. My plan is to open and decant early in the morning and drink with a roast pork dinner.
Anyone with history with this chateaux? Will this be undrinkable at this age or merely too young. At 62, this was probably not a smart buy but I was intrigued.
9DFDC415-A370-44A3-ABB8-A78AC5D5442F.jpeg

Do not decant this early in the morning. You will kill the wine with that much air! Give it 2-3-4 hours at the most. Few wines are undrinkable young. It will just be young. Thought it is very nice wine. You can read notes and more on Malescot, should you wish… Learn about Chateau Malescot St. Exupery Margaux, Complete Guide

It’s a Rolland-influenced wine - it should drink well young.

Thanx for the info.

yeah, likely friendly (or more friendly than many bdx) right now. Your get a bunch of tannin, but lots of everything else too.

Robert -

Don’t get all nerdy on it. Just pop it and follow it over an evening. This is a very modern Bordeaux, so IMHO built to show well young for those that like this style of wine.

In my very limited tasting experience, the Margaux appellation knocked the ball out of the park in 2016, especially for the “Drink Now” style of wine.

I have no idea. Popped a 2016 sociando mallet half bottle and it was wide open. Lots of fruit, high alcohol (listed at 14, but felt higher), new oak well integrated. Really tasty, but sort of surprising at how it showed. Neal Martin’s note seemed very accurate, in its reference to more opulence and a more intense/rich nose.

Yet at ugcb in January most of the wine felt a little closed (might be a function of tannins caked on my tongue). So I’m not really sure what advice to give other than that your wine might be ready to go from the beginning, even though it’s young

Sounds like a nice wine. Good advice above. My advice: enjoy!

There is a formula that works pretty well for all great red wines. Drink them young or old and let them sleep in between. Young means one or two years after release. Old means 15 years old plus. But that’s only true for Grands Crus from good vintages. 2016 is a top vintage for Bordeaux.

Oh man! That sounds right up Bobby’s (new) alley!

Opened with a Flannery hanger steak and wow, this is really good stuff. A deep purple that too dense to see through. The nose is forest floor, tobacco and blood? Ridiculously long finish. This is all savory and vegetal and dark cherry comes through after a bite of steak. Glass and teeth staining like a Petite Syrah. I am very happy with this buy and will look to try different vintages. My WOTY so far. Yum!

Opened with a Flannery hanger steak and wow, this is really good stuff. A deep purple that too dense to see through. The nose is forest floor, tobacco and blood? Ridiculously long finish. This is all savory and vegetal and dark cherry comes through after a bite of steak. Glass and teeth staining like a Petite Syrah. I am very happy with this buy and will look to try different vintages. My WOTY so far. Yum!

LOL, that’s funny!

I bought tons of 2014, so classic, so good. The value of the vintage, IMHO, and a quality wine irrespective of price considerations.

Glad you are digging it, Robert!

Well, that turned out pretty well. Yum indeed! Nice!

Sorry bout the double post but could not figure out how to delete one. Yeah it turned well, maybe too well. Stuck 4 bottles into the “forget about it” part of the cellar and kept one out for a friend coming in a few months. Best blind buy I have ever made!

I pick up meat and grilled meats in May Bordeaux, so the blood reference makes sense to me.

Don’t apologize about buying new wines to try. It is fun to try new wines and this hobby should be about fun more than anything else. I hope I never want to stop trying wines from wineries new to me.

Robert, glad you enjoyed it! Note that this wine is always 100% new oak, generally too much for my own tastes, but in 16 the fruit is probably strong enough to withstand it.