1983 JJP wehlener sonnenuhr auslese LGK

Riesling is definitely the wine I most often plan to drink but fail to drink. Every time I open one, I firmly resolve to open more. But somehow the right moments prove elusive.

In any case, I do love to tuck into an old Johann Josef Prum every now and then. And this bottle was eyeing me when I opened the office euro cave. And it’s unfair that I’m even working the week before labor day, right? Well you see where this is heading–a popped cork and a glass full of riesling while I “review” some spreadsheets.

This was a little sterner than I was dreaming of. It was still 100% put together, and it’s not that it lacked for fruit. But that long gold capsule had me thinking of a slightly riper, more exotic profile. I think when it comes to JJPs in the mature but not insanely old range, 1990 will always be my first love. They have a slightly higher quotient of complexity, in my opinion. Once again, I have concluded that I don’t drink enough riesling.

Well, Patrick…there are solutions to that problem. And they don’t cost you an arm & a leg!! [snort.gif]
German R are some of the great values around. And they can/often age amazingly well. Surprised this JJPrum didn’t show
a lot more for this age. Probably those spreadsheets addled your mind!!
Tom

The provenance must have been very good on this bottle. Had it even changed color yet? My guess is no since it was still tasting so young -

In my extremely limited experience with older JJP Auslesen, they tend to drop their sugar a lot faster than one might have expected.

To the point that if you had planned an entire meal around pairing a particular dish with a very special dessert wine, then, to your surprise, you might come to discover that you should have been anticipating something a lot closer to an halbtrocken than to a sticky.

I remember being blown away by the regular auslesen of this wine for the first time probably 20 years ago. Sourced and enjoyed many more bottles of it thereafter. Nectar of the gods and RS not at all in your face. 83 was an excellent vintage for this wine and would have thought LGK would have really stood out.