8 Favourite Varieties (4 red, 4 white)

Generally speaking, what are your 4 favourite red varieties (or blends) and 4 favourite white varieties (or blends.) For example, Cabernet and Cabernet blends would be on choice.

I’ll go first.

Red:
Pinot Noir
Cabernet+
Syrah
Nebbiolo

Very boring I know!

White:
Riesling
Chardonnay
Chenin Blanc
Gewürztraminer

How about you? We can fine tune the rules as we go along if necessary.

I think this might be more interesting with 2 red and 2 white since 4 each seems like a lot. For me:
Reds: Nebbiolo, Pinot Noir, Sangiovese, Syrah
White: Viognier, Gewurtzramminer, Chardonnay, Pinot Gris

I really don’t think that a thread that is just people listing things is proper discussion, but what the hey.

Reds:
Nebbiolo
Pinot Noir
Cabernet Franc
Syrah

White:
Riesling
Timorasso
Assyrtiko
Furmint

(And I thought 4 per variety is all too little, since having tasted some +300 different varietal wines, there’s a lot to choose from.)

Cellar says . . .

Syrah
Cabernet
Pinot Noir (how did that sneak in there?)
Zinfandel

Chardonnay
Riesling
Champagne blend
White Rhone blend.

Otto, This thread and your post has introduced me to the existence of a wine named Timorasso and your high personal ranking will lead me to look for a bottle. So there’s that. [cheers.gif] -Jim

Thank you for your kind words, Jim. It’s great that thread like these manage to benefit some people.

If you really are going to check out Timorasso, I heartily suggest looking for Walter Massa’s and Claudio Mariotto’s bottlings - although I’ve yet to taste a Timorasso I didn’t love, so basically any Timorasso purchased blind will most likely be a great pruchase. The best examples of this variety can combine almost Viognier-like fruit and concentration with Riesling-like freshness and minerality, effortlessly combining the best of the two worlds. And the best of all, almost all the Timorasso wines seem to show exceptional aging capabilities for white wines. It certainly is one of the greatest Italian white varieties out there - if not the greatest!

Kiitos paljon Otto. Going to Ruche country next week (Castagnole) and I see that Timorasso country is nearby. Certainly visiting some winemakers there. Never tried the wines

My list
Nebbiolo from Northern Italy
Pinot Noir from Burgundy and Champagne
Syrah from Northern Rhone
Cabernet Franc from Loire, Bordeaux and Tuscany

Riesling from Alsace, Austria and Germany
Chardonnay from Burgundy and Champagne
Viura from LdH
Chenin Blanc from Loire

Ilo oli puolellani.

Going to Ruche country next week (Castagnole) and I see that Timorasso country is nearby. Certainly visiting some winemakers there. Never tried the wines

I’ve only visited Alba, Alto Piemonte and Carema (+ Aosta Valley) during a trip to Piedmont, but since Tortona (the subregion where all of the major Timorasso producers are located) is only 30 km / 18 miles away from Castagnole Monferrato, I really encourage you to make a small detour and report your findings.

If you’re into Ruchè, are you familiar with Scarpa? They’re located some 10 km / 6 miles south from castagnole Monferrato. Lots of great wines and from what I’ve heard, they’ve got a great catalog of back vintages as well.

We will certainly go to visit the 2 winemakers you mentioned
I have been attending the Festa del Ruchè in Castagnole some years. It is great fun and great food. I usually visit some of the winemakers too. We live in a ancient tall house built in the city wall with beautiful views to the other hilltop villages
Legally Scarpa are not allowed to call the wine Ruchè, but I will seek it out

RED:
Cabernet Sauvignon
Pinot Noir
Nebbiolo
Syrah

WHITE:
Chardonnay
Sauvignon Blanc
Viognier
Riesling

Red:

Cabernet
Pinot Noir
Syrah
Zinfandel

White:

Chardonnay
Sauvignon Blanc
Viognier
Semillon

Red:

Pinot Noir
Cabernet Franc
Merlot
Syrah

White:

Chardonnay
Riesling
Chenin Blanc
Sauvignon Blanc

Red:

Pinot noir ('Merican and French (and Champagne,) yay!)
Cab ('Merican and French, yay! Add Chile, too.)
Zinfandel
Cab Franc

White
Chardonnay (Kind of by default, it’s what I drink the most of when drinking white and I get 'Merican and French, again…and some Champagne! Over-all and easy call. Blanc de Blanc…mmmm.)
“Riesling”
Sauvignon Blanc (Wine from this grape has been getting better and better the last few decades.)
Pinot Blanc (and I get more countries, again!)

That’s a fine list, man.

It’s hard picking.

Bringing a fine Viognier up to one’s nose is a special moment. I don’t mean this in a bad way, it is the Merlot of whites…such perfume!

Flawed poll [grin.gif] It doesn’t allow for blends. Is “Sauternes” a variety? :wink:

That said:

Reds

Pinot Noir
Zinfandel
Tempranillo
Sangiovese

Whites
Chardonnay
Gruner Veltliner
Riesling (would never have said that even 5 years ago)
Chenin Blanc (close call with Pinot Gris for this choice)

Actually a fun question, thanks for posting James.

White:
Chardonnay, Riesling, Gruner Veltliner and Assyrtico

Red:
Sangiovese, Nebbiolo, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Sauvignon. Honorable Mention: Aglianico

Pinot Noir
Tempranillo aka Tinta Roriz aka Aragonez
Nebbiolo
Baga

Riesling
Encruzado
Malvasia Fina aka Bual
Chenin Blanc

Pinot Noir 11
Cabernet+ 7
Nebbiolo 7
Syrah 6

It had to be that way grouphug

Cabernet Franc 5 (good reserve!)
Zinfandel 4
Sangiovese 3
Merlot 1
Tempranillo 1

White:
Chardonnay 10
Riesling 9
Chenin Blanc 4

[thumbs-up.gif] So far, so good, but…

Sauvignon Blanc 4 [soap.gif]
Viognier 3
Gewürztraminer 2
Gruner vertlinger 2
Assyrtiko 2
Pinot Gris 1
Timorasso 1
Furmint 1
Champagne 1
White Rhone 1
Viura 1
Semillon 1
Pinot blanc 1

Keep 'em coming!

Reds
Pinot Noir
Nebbiolo
Syrah
Sangiovese

Whites
Riesling
Sauvignon Blanc
Chardonnay
Chenin Blanc

Roagna also makes a Timorasso Derthona from a vineyard in Montemarzino, with the help from Walter Massa.