How do I buy from people's cellars?

Back again with more wine newbie questions!

Not sure if this is allowed, but here we go!

I’m new to wine, only really started cellaring around this year, and I’d love to get a headstart on having more ‘ready to drink’ wines in my collection.

Age is at a premium at wine stores, and I know a lot of people are always trying to trim down their cellars - how do I get access to this aged, ready to drink wine that some people have in excess?

I am typically in the lower end (<$50) with up to $100 if something is ‘special’

I’m currently based in the Bay Area (South Bay) but willing to drive around.

Watch Commerce Corner here and consider posting a “Wish to Buy” thread!

Best wishes!

Agree with Anton - post on Commerce Corner (not sure if there is a pre-requisite to be able to post), and list out which producers and vintages you’d like. It can be as broad as “Bordeaux - 1990 to 2000” to as specific as “Leoville Poyferre 1996”. Lots of great people that sell good stuff. Good luck.

And, in case you’re new enough that you’re not sure what Commerce Corner is, here’s a link:

I’m sure it differs from site to site, but I highly recommending getting an offsite storage space with a tasting room as these can often act as little wine social clubs where various members might be happy to share some older wine with you or sell you wine they’re no longer as interested in. The private tastings that I’ve been so generously invited to within the first couple months of getting my offsite cellar have already made the cellar a “no brainer” investment.

Otherwise, in addition to Commerce Corner, check out auctions like K&L, Winebid.com, etc. and just keep your eyes peeled while shopping online as you can find random older bottles available at reasonable, or even good, prices.

Online auctions are a good source of aged wines. WineBid is the one I use most frequently.

In California, without a license, it looks like maybe it’s a misdemeanor for wine, but a felony for anyone “exercising the privileges or performing any act which a still licensee may exercise or perform”, i.e. selling liquor?

It seems to be called “Section 23301” of the California Business and Professions Code?

Was waiting for Nathan to piss on everyone’s parade.

It’s like clockwork. At least this time he left out the bit about central banks flooding the world with cheap currency. Though I suppose there’s still time…

WineBid is a great source for single bottles of older stuff to try! Same goes for K&L auctions… Just be aware of the premiums and take that into account in the bidding…

If y’all wanna become felons*, and throw away all yall’s JDs & MDs & CPAs & DPs & RNs & whatnot, and instead mow lawns for a living, then have at it.

It’s been an exceptionally wet summer for us - we got some very tall grass out here yall could come mow for us, in the mud, with the mosquitoes & the copperheads & the ticks to give yall plenty of company.

[*I’m assuming yall don’t actually exercise yall’s RKBAs, so becoming a felon won’t affect that non-aspect of yall’s lives.]

Just use Bitcoin. [rofl.gif]

Is there a Silk Road for wine?

Maybe Jordan can find someone who sells cardboard boxes and is gracious enough to fill it with complimentary wine to show gratitude.

Nathan must be a hoot at parties.

I think I’ve been behind him on various roads and interchanges.

“The speed limit is 55 MPH, so I can drive in the left hand lane at precisely that speed. Anybody going faster is a scofflaw.” [swearing.gif]

[cheers.gif]

In NJ we call those people “Pennsylvania drivers”

This is your best option. If you are buying good aged wines to drink, but not chasing trophies and trendy producers, the wines will often have little markup. Sometimes they’ll be cheaper than current releases.

Other sites like Hart Davis Hart have a lot of second hand bottles you can just buy. Again, if you shop smartly and aren’t looking for the fancy and trendy ones, you can find good drinkers at good prices.

I am doing exactly what you are describing. I have had great success on the K&L auctions (www.klwines.com) and you can have them sent to the redwood city store for will call hold and avoid shipping.

K&L also sell a lot of aged bordeaux. Worth browsing their website and sign up for their newsletter.

I also am watching Lastbottle.com i picked up some decent stuff in their recent marathon.

Winebank is a great storage facility with saturday tastings. Ive met some great people there.

Actually, he would be a scofflaw doing that as well because most states have a law about the left lane being for passing only.

Has Nathan been previously fitted for a black hat?