Realm Cellars Fall Release

Tasting notes, varietals, grapes - anything related to wine
AndrewEck

Realm Cellars Fall Release

#1 Post by AndrewEck » August 26th, 2019, 8:01 am

First time through the Realm release. What is the going rate for the wines (Tempest, Falstaff, Bard, Absurd) in that release?

Frank Z
GCC Member
GCC Member

Re: Realm Cellars Fall Release

#2 Post by Frank Z » August 26th, 2019, 8:31 am

If I remember correctly, the Fall 2018 release prices were:

2016 Tempest - $95
2016 Bard - $110
2016 Falstaff - $150
2015 Absurd - $425 (not 100% sure on this one since I didn't end up buying)
Frank Zhang

KenL.

#3 Post by KenL. » August 26th, 2019, 11:17 am

I think someone posted on here that they didn’t make a Falstaff this year.
Lobel

Tom Chen

#4 Post by Tom Chen » August 26th, 2019, 11:38 am

Correct. Benoit said no 2017 Falstaff because of the fires.

C. Keller
GCC Member
GCC Member

#5 Post by C. Keller » August 26th, 2019, 6:34 pm

I look forward to this. However, I would be shocked if they prices aren't higher. I expect to pay more than last year.
Chris

JohnP

#6 Post by JohnP » August 27th, 2019, 9:32 am

I'll definitely pick-up some Bard, but might be priced out on Absurd this year. This Napaflation is getting OOC.
John Pollard

OwenB

#7 Post by OwenB » August 27th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I could never get there on the absurd. Hopefully bard hasn’t gone up by more than $5-10 per bottle. I believe they’ve significantly increased its production.
    8 A $ H A

David Crow

#8 Post by David Crow » August 27th, 2019, 5:10 pm

Has anyone tasted the 2017s yet? I recently had a 2016 Bard that was killer. I'm hoping the 17s are in the same league.

Chris Atkins

#9 Post by Chris Atkins » August 27th, 2019, 5:17 pm

2017’s in the same league as 2016’s? I rather doubt it!

And why was fruit still hanging when the fires 🔥 erupted?

NickRut
    GCC Member
    GCC Member

#10 Post by NickRut » August 27th, 2019, 6:25 pm

I’ll take all the absurd you guys pass on. Please and god bless.
    Rutkowski

JohnP

#11 Post by JohnP » August 27th, 2019, 9:14 pm

David Crow wrote:
    August 27th, 2019, 5:10 pm
    Has anyone tasted the 2017s yet? I recently had a 2016 Bard that was killer. I'm hoping the 17s are in the same league.
    I got a splash of the 2017 Dr. Crane a couple months ago from barrel, it was ridiculously good and no signs of faults. I took some "new-to-wine" friends with me and they too thought it was incredible. What was hilarious was the perplexed look on some of their faces when told they couldn't purchase it and there was no telling when new mailing list members could get an offer, lol. Btw, we also tried the 2016 Bard and the Dr. Crane was on another level (maybe two).
    Last edited by JohnP on August 28th, 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
    John Pollard

OwenB

#12 Post by OwenB » August 28th, 2019, 4:03 am

Chris Atkins wrote:
    August 27th, 2019, 5:17 pm

Chris, are you saying their 2017s may have a smoke issue?
      8 A $ H A

Alex A

#13 Post by Alex A » August 28th, 2019, 8:33 pm

I went to the dreamer tour, and tasted all of the '17s. To Kalon, Dr. Crane and Bard were amazing. I kept going back to To Kalon and Dr. Crane, honestly will be buying anything I can get my hands on. I don't know who is spreading any rumors the wines have smoke taint needs to go and taste them.
      Alex Attarian

Derek P
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#14 Post by Derek P » August 29th, 2019, 5:59 am

I also attended the dreamer tour and found the the '17 Tempest and '17 Moonracer approachable and very enjoyable now ... appreciated the others, but kept going back to those two. No doubt the others will be excellent given more time.
      P o 1 z i e n

Frank Z
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#15 Post by Frank Z » August 29th, 2019, 8:21 am

Alex A wrote:
      August 28th, 2019, 8:33 pm
      I went to the dreamer tour, and tasted all of the '17s. To Kalon, Dr. Crane and Bard were amazing. I kept going back to To Kalon and Dr. Crane, honestly will be buying anything I can get my hands on. I don't know who is spreading any rumors the wines have smoke taint needs to go and taste them.
      If you don't mind me asking, how was the 2016 Absurd showing at the tour?
      Frank Zhang

Jeff_M.

#16 Post by Jeff_M. » August 29th, 2019, 8:27 am

Chris Atkins wrote:

Any fruit that was still on the vine wouldn't have been used to make wine. I've tasted multiple 17 Napa cabs now and there's no smoke taint. A couple wineries have said no 17' vintages will be made from specific vineyards that still had fruit hanging.

I hope the wineries address the fires with their release notes so people know when the fruit was picked and there is no controversy. The 17s I've tasted have been good and I will be purchasing.
      Jeff M 0 l l

Tom Chen

#17 Post by Tom Chen » August 29th, 2019, 10:17 am

Here is some info from Realm:

We are pleased to announce our Fall Offering will commence on Thursday, September 5 at 10:00AM Pacific Standard Time. This offer will include the 2017 vintage of our Proprietary Blend wines and 2016 The Absurd.

You will receive an email on the morning of September 5 with a link to your personal allocation. Your allocation will be guaranteed for a period of nine days. You will have until Friday, September 13 at 11:59PM Pacific Standard Time to place your order. Allocations are based on production volumes as well as your tenure and purchase history. For some wines, you will have the possibility to wish for additional quantities beyond your allocated amount. We will do our very best to grant as many wishes as possible. We will confirm the status of granted wishes by Friday, September 20.

We encourage you to update your account information with current shipping and billing information in advance of the offering.

You must learn to be still in the midst of activity. And to be vibrantly alive in repose.
      – INDIRA GANDHI

The crucible of the 2017 harvest made it difficult at times to know when to be still and when to be vibrantly alive. The fires added chaos and uncertainty to an already challenging harvest. And yet, we seem to thrive in these circumstances. Benoit would tell you one of the most challenging but also rewarding weeks we’ve had at Realm was the week we slept on the floor at the winery, operated on generator power, ate leftover frozen food, took turns on night watch to make sure the fire didn’t cross the Silverado Trail, worked on fermentations and punch downs and pump overs without any interns, navigated around roadblocks to pick and deliver fruit…in short, we tried to be at our best when Mother Nature was at her worst.

The fires unfortunately impacted many people throughout Napa and Sonoma but thankfully they did not impact our wines. Fruit harvested post-fire was ultimately declassified so none of it was used in our final wines. Therefore, we did not bottle a few wines in 2017 – Falstaff, Farella Vineyard, Beckstoffer To Kalon Cabernet Franc.

The wines we did bottle showcase a purity and freshness of fruit that seems to be a hallmark of the vintage. The wines have nerve and vibrancy which is highlighted in both The Tempest and The Bard. We were particularly focused on gentle extractions and cooler fermentations in response to the heat spell over Labor Day. There’s no denying the difficulty of 2017 and yet we think we’ve produced some of our best wines yet. Don’t be surprised if you enjoy some of these wines more than others in recent vintages!

We hope you find these wines as vibrantly alive as we were during the harvest of 2017. Thanks as always for being a part of this journey with us!

Based on previous purchases and tasting the 2017s (and 2016 Absurd) at the Practical Dreamers event, I will be buying again (Tempest and Bard), but will need to think long and hard about the Absurd, which I started buying with the 2005 vintage.

I agree with others who have tasted the 2017s that the wines are drinking well now, and for me, probably early drinkers for this vintage.

@Frank, for me the 2016 Absurd was just too early to drink and I don't have any reference points, as I have never drank an Absurd this young. It definitely is a big wine though, guessing similar to what other Absurds may have tasted early.

Mar3 Koslowsky
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#18 Post by Mar3 Koslowsky » August 29th, 2019, 10:21 am

Trying this again (didn't seem to post).....also attended "dream" tour in NYC
      The Tempest and Moonracer were most approachable and both quite enjoyable. The Dr. Crane was really impressive and seemed like it would turn out to be the best wine from 2017. Unlike others, did not enjoy the To Kalon (finish just kind of died).

The 2016 Absurd didn't do it for me. Maybe just tight and in a dumb phase.

Joe B
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#19 Post by Joe B » August 29th, 2019, 10:23 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
      August 29th, 2019, 8:27 am
      Chris Atkins wrote:

Any fruit that was still on the vine wouldn't have been used to make wine. I've tasted multiple 17 Napa cabs now and there's no smoke taint. A couple wineries have said no 17' vintages will be made from specific vineyards that still had fruit hanging.

I hope the wineries address the fires with their release notes so people know when the fruit was picked and there is no controversy. The 17s I've tasted have been good and I will be purchasing.
      Oh, someone will make wine out of the fruit that is smoke tainted, bet on it. Probably sold off to make lesser wines
      J W@ll @ce

Tom Chen

#20 Post by Tom Chen » August 29th, 2019, 10:30 am

This offering is only for the blends (including Absurd), so people still have some time to decide on the SVDs offered in February.

Dr. Crane is a yearly buy for me. Such a fantastic wine, and even though the price is creeping up, I still think the "value" is there among the high-end CA cabs.

Andrew Ing

#21 Post by Andrew Ing » August 29th, 2019, 10:58 am

I've never worked so hard to taste a wine as Realm. Took me awhile and a lot of emails to nail down a tasting in 2014. I've been hooked ever since and bought every offering (except the one that sold out in a ridiculously short amount of time). Looking forward to every offering and the Practical Dreamer tour stop in Dallas. I found this video on the Practical Dreamer tour. https://vimeo.com/355884973
      Andrew Ingrum

Alex A

#22 Post by Alex A » August 29th, 2019, 10:58 am

Frank Z wrote:
      August 29th, 2019, 8:21 am
      Alex A wrote:
      August 28th, 2019, 8:33 pm
      If you don't mind me asking, how was the 2016 Absurd showing at the tour?
      Frank, the '16 Absurd was tight for me, I think the '15s are the best ones to drink right now. I've opened couple bottles of the '15 Absurd and they're beautiful. But you can tell the '16 is a kickass big wine, i'll be for sure buying it and putting it in the cellar for a while.
      Alex Attarian

Jeff_M.

#23 Post by Jeff_M. » August 29th, 2019, 11:02 am

Joe B wrote:
      August 29th, 2019, 10:23 am
      Jeff_M. wrote:
      Chris Atkins wrote:

Oh, someone will make wine out of the fruit that is smoke tainted, bet on it. Probably sold off to make lesser wines
      I would hope not. I know Robert Craig said there's no 2017 Mt Veeder due to the fire. Smoke taint.
      Jeff M 0 l l

David Crow

#24 Post by David Crow » August 29th, 2019, 11:53 am

Jeff_M. wrote:
      August 29th, 2019, 11:02 am
      Joe B wrote:
      Jeff_M. wrote:

I would hope not. I know Robert Craig said there's no 2017 Mt Veeder due to the fire. Smoke taint.
      You're right about reputable wineries declassifying anything with smoke taint, but I agree someone will find a way to sell it. I remember a number of years ago a friend was tasting wine at a well known winery and noticed the wines tasted smokey. The person in the tasting room told a story of how there had been nearby fires that year and the grapes picked up the characteristics of the smoke that had been in the air and it was a reminder of the fires preserved in the wine. My friend thought that story was cool and ended up picking up a case. So someone will surely find a way to spin smoke taint into a positive.

Jeff_M.

#25 Post by Jeff_M. » August 29th, 2019, 12:02 pm

David Crow wrote:
      August 29th, 2019, 11:53 am

You're right about reputable wineries declassifying anything with smoke taint, but I agree someone will find a way to sell it. I remember a number of years ago a friend was tasting wine at a well known winery and noticed the wines tasted smokey. The person in the tasting room told a story of how there had been nearby fires that year and the grapes picked up the characteristics of the smoke that had been in the air and it was a reminder of the fires preserved in the wine. My friend thought that story was cool and ended up picking up a case. So someone will surely find a way to spin smoke taint into a positive.
      I asked a couple of winemaker's and CEO's earlier this year if they were going to publish when they picked their fruit so customers knew if the fruit was picked before the fires. That's my dividing line on whether I buy 2017 Napa/Sonoma cab or not. I'd hate to cellar something for a decade or more and get smoke taint. The 2017 Spottswoode I tasted a few weeks back out of the barrel/keg they poured was really good. Had some 2017 Bedrock Monticello cab that was also very nice.
      Jeff M 0 l l

Frank Z
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#26 Post by Frank Z » August 29th, 2019, 1:09 pm

Thanks everyone for the thoughts about the 2016 Absurd! Hopefully it doesnt increase in price by too much this year!
      Frank Zhang

Matt A

#27 Post by Matt A » August 29th, 2019, 3:49 pm

2017 Tempest - $100
      2017 Bard - $110
      2016 Absurd - $500

I was able to view my allocation and prices by accident. They have since fixed it. This is by memory so I might be off a tad. I do distinctly remember the Absurd @ $500

JohnP

#28 Post by JohnP » August 29th, 2019, 4:53 pm

Matt A wrote:
      August 29th, 2019, 3:49 pm
      2017 Tempest - $100
      2017 Bard - $110
      2016 Absurd - $500

I was able to view my allocation and prices by accident. They have since fixed it. This is by memory so I might be off a tad. I do distinctly remember the Absurd @ $500
      Thanks for the tip. The Absurd is now exactly in-line with all Hundred Acre pricing. If you had to choose, would you pick Hundred Acre F&F (offer coming soon) or Absurd?
      John Pollard

Frank Z
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#29 Post by Frank Z » August 30th, 2019, 7:57 am

Matt A wrote:
      August 29th, 2019, 3:49 pm
      2017 Tempest - $100
      2017 Bard - $110
      2016 Absurd - $500

I was really hoping Absurd would stay at $450. I'll most likely pass on that and grab an extra bottle of the M7 instead.
      Frank Zhang

Chris Atkins

#30 Post by Chris Atkins » August 30th, 2019, 11:11 am

In 2017 all the fruit at Corison was harvested a week before Oct 1, that is two full weeks before the fires! At Dunn all the fruit was in. At Montelena 100% of the Estate fruit was in, with only a few blocks of second label fruit that was left for compost.

Fruit still hanging on Oct 8, 2017? Wines don't need to be this ripe. This was a relatively hot growing season.

Joe B
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#31 Post by Joe B » September 5th, 2019, 5:49 am

OK, so the email I was sent when Realm folded Kata into their stable was that later this year they would be offering members some kata wines. Realm only offers wines twice a year. Fall and spring. So will we be offered Kata wine with this release? Or will we now be treated to three releases each year?

Anyway, today is the big day. Bard and Absurd on deck.
      J W@ll @ce

Andrew Ing

#32 Post by Andrew Ing » September 5th, 2019, 7:15 am

Not sure if Kata is included. On the Realm website, they only list the Realm wines in the Fall offering. But, I don't think they've updated it since they still have Falstaff on there. Plus, it's not year specific.
      Andrew Ingrum

David Crow

#33 Post by David Crow » September 5th, 2019, 8:43 am

I would think since Kata is a single vineyard wine it would be released in the spring, along with the other Realm single vineyard wines. I'm interested to see how they end up integrating Kata into the rest of the Realm portfolio and if it stays largely as is longer term in terms of the branding, packaging, etc. or if they end up changing it over eventually to match the rest of the Realm line-up.

Frank Z
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#34 Post by Frank Z » September 5th, 2019, 8:44 am

Does anyone know which vineyards they pulled for the Bard this year? Any Beckstoffer fruit like last year?
      Frank Zhang

Frank Z
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#35 Post by Frank Z » September 5th, 2019, 10:04 am

Release is open! Prices for 750mL/1.5L

Bard - $110/$250
      Tempest - $100/$225
      Absurd - $475/$1050

AND To Kalon fruit is still in the Bard blend!
      Frank Zhang

Joe B
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#36 Post by Joe B » September 5th, 2019, 10:06 am

B4D96CBD-0D2E-4CD5-9C41-070D7C928ECB.png
      Took 12 Bard and Wished for 3 more.

Plus the 1.5 Bard.

I’m not sure what to do about my two bottle allocation of Absurd. Might buy them but I’m waiting to pull the trigger.
      J W@ll @ce

Carlton McCrindle
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#37 Post by Carlton McCrindle » September 5th, 2019, 10:52 am

I looked at the release notes for the Absurd which do not disclose the blend proportions. I presume they vary from release to release but am curious what varietals are usually included. Thanks.

T.Phillips

#38 Post by T.Phillips » September 5th, 2019, 10:54 am

have 8 bard and 2 absurd I am not taking this round if anyone wants them PM me
      T y

Steve Crawford

#39 Post by Steve Crawford » September 5th, 2019, 10:59 am

Chris Atkins wrote:
      August 30th, 2019, 11:11 am
      In 2017 all the fruit at Corison was harvested a week before Oct 1, that is two full weeks before the fires! At Dunn all the fruit was in. At Montelena 100% of the Estate fruit was in, with only a few blocks of second label fruit that was left for compost.

Fruit still hanging on Oct 8, 2017? Wines don't need to be this ripe. This was a relatively hot growing season.
      you're comparing apples to oranges.

David Crow

#40 Post by David Crow » September 5th, 2019, 11:00 am

Carlton McCrindle wrote:
      September 5th, 2019, 10:52 am
      I looked at the release notes for the Absurd which do not disclose the blend proportions. I presume they vary from release to release but am curious what varietals are usually included. Thanks.
      It really drives me nuts that Realm never releases detailed notes on the blend or vineyard sources for the Absurd. To charge nearly $500 for a bottle of wine and not tell people what's in it or where the grapes come from seems pretty absurd (pun intended).

Does anyone have any info on the vineyard sources for this release or any of the past ones?

DAVIDKIM

#41 Post by DAVIDKIM » September 5th, 2019, 11:13 am

Anyone have more reviews on the 17' bard? Wish they added petit verdot to the blend.
      Wondering how many I should go in for.

AD Northup
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#42 Post by AD Northup » September 5th, 2019, 11:18 am

Only interested in a few bottles of the Bard, but shipping is making it hard to pull the trigger. Anyone in the NY/Central NJ/Philly area want to combine? PM me.
      A n d r e w N o r t h u p

WsOTY:
      1994 Edmunds St. John Les Côtes Sauvages
      2016 P. S. Garcia Grenache Piedra Lisa
      2002 Perrier-Jouet Belle Époque
      2005 Faja dos Padres Malvasia

NED VALOIS
      GCC Member
      GCC Member

#43 Post by NED VALOIS » September 5th, 2019, 11:49 am

In-Absurd & Bard

Mike Q

#44 Post by Mike Q » September 5th, 2019, 11:55 am

According to Jeb:
      "the 2016 The Absurd checks in as 66% Cabernet Sauvignon, 15% Cabernet Franc, 15% Merlot, the rest Petit Verdot"
      Mike Q u i g 1 e y

OwenB

#45 Post by OwenB » September 5th, 2019, 11:58 am

Anyone know why there aren’t scores available for the Bard and Tempest yet? Pretty sure both JD and RP were out last year.
        8 A $ H A

Andrew Ing

#46 Post by Andrew Ing » September 5th, 2019, 12:57 pm

AD Northup wrote:
        September 5th, 2019, 11:18 am
        Only interested in a few bottles of the Bard, but shipping is making it hard to pull the trigger. Anyone in the NY/Central NJ/Philly area want to combine? PM me.
        That shipping cost is no joke.
        Andrew Ingrum

AndrewEck

#47 Post by AndrewEck » September 5th, 2019, 5:55 pm

David Crow wrote:
        August 29th, 2019, 11:53 am
        Jeff_M. wrote:
        August 29th, 2019, 11:02 am
        Joe B wrote:

Italics took some of the smoke tainted fruit and distilled it down into a brandy. Currently selling it as a dessert wine and it’s pretty awesome.

Greg Smith
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#48 Post by Greg Smith » September 6th, 2019, 8:15 am

Andrew Ing wrote:
        September 5th, 2019, 12:57 pm
        AD Northup wrote:
        September 5th, 2019, 11:18 am
        That shipping cost is no joke.
        For what it's worth, if you choose standard shipping over 2 day the cost is roughly cut in half.

Dave McCloskey

#49 Post by Dave McCloskey » September 6th, 2019, 12:30 pm

Last year I was not offered an allocation of the Absurd, but this year they offered me 1, so I took it. Very expensive indeed at $475. I've never paid that for a California Cab. I know Cabs can go much higher (ex. Screaming Eagle, Colgin etc.), so I hope this is worth it. Sounds like the 2016 needs a bit of time in the bottle.

Mike Van1
        GCC Member
        GCC Member

#50 Post by Mike Van1 » September 17th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Just got an email that my wish was granted for one bottle of Absurd. Didn’t think it would happen so hope it’s good. Also hope it helps unlock the door to a Dr Crane allocation.
        V-one

Return to “Wine Talk”