2008 Hug Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Booker Vineyard

8/26/2019 - I WROTE: (Edit)92 Points

Dark red/purple color with no indication of age. The nose is very expressive with blackberry, dark cherry, cola, and an interesting peach note with air. On the palate, ripe blackberry, cherry, peach, and raspberry complete the fruit profile while light graphite and sweet oak appear on the finish. The is balanced acidity to hold the fruit, and while the tannins are still there, there are well-rounded and integrated into a solid finish. Overall, Augie did an outstanding job allowing the Booker Vineyard character to shine through while keeping this wine from being overblown or overworked. There is a sweet oak signature, but it matches the fruit well and enhances the overall experience. It paired very well with the grilled flank steak we consumed that evening.

Nice to see the reference. I still have some Hug Syrahs in my cellar. Early 2000s vintages. I have no idea how they are.

Augie Hug is no longer around. But the wine maker is and I’m going to give him a shout out here. In addition to the Hug wines, he’s making some of the best versions of Spanish wines I’ve yet encountered in the US under his own separate label Bodega de Edgar.