Suntacular 2019--a bunch of Champagne TNs and some red wines

Had about 25 people over yesterday to raise some more for our charity, Laura’s House. This is the same charity that we support through Falltacular that happens every February. In an occasional year, we do the summer version, with a far smaller crowd (175 versus 25). Each person attending donated $50, plus a bottle of Champagne that was communally shared. It was warm, the Champagne helped with the 80 degree temps, and the bbq and donated side dishes made it all happen. I didn’t take any photos but for those who do Facebook, which is the only channel I used to collect attendance, you can find some photos of the event in this link. OCFalltacular | Facebook

I was challenged by Berserkers Brian Tuite and Sean Kennedy to write TNs, which they would convert to a donation to Laura’s House. I will leave that to you generous dudes, here is the link and you can make the donation right on their website. Please indicate this was connected to Wine Berserkers/Suntacular. Aside from the generosity of Brian and Sean, we also raised about $1,300 with the financial donations yesterday so thanks to all of you who showed and enjoyed the day over here.

Here are my TNs, mostly all Champagne, and I think I captured most of the bottles. At the end of the night, I started pulling some random reds, which are the still notes at the end. Didn’t take a note on the 2015 Rivers-Marie Old Vine PN, so maybe Whetstone has that one.

2019 SUNTACULAR–CHAMPAGNE TASTING TO RAISE MONEY FOR LAURA’S HOUSE - (8/25/2019)

• 2012 Moussé Fils Champagne Terre d’illite Blanc de Noirs - France, Champagne
    Disgorged 02/17, 95% PM / 5% PN. 5 g/l dosage. Red berry, tangy, baked apple, good energy. I love the berry profile on this, and it’s deceiving as the wine is clear.
  • NV Vouette et Sorbée Champagne Fidèle - France, Champagne
    Have to log this one as NV, as the back label stunk for any info. Seems like a different importer label or something? Cherry with some leaner tones. Chalky, slate. Went back to this later, and the aeration really helped to fill in the palate. Creamy cherry and the palate presence was terrific. Air this if you open.
  • NV Minière F & R Champagne Absolu Blanc De Blancs Brut - France, Champagne
    First of three that recently arrived from Europe. Disgorged 08/2018. Roughly 80% 2012 with the remainder 2011. 5.5 g/l dosage, 100% Chard. Floral. The wood shows through a bit on the palate, with a barrel/oak tone. The dosage on this wine always seems to give me a distinct richness, giving the green apple and lime a more generous quality. The finish on this bottle shows a good length, too. Revisited the wine later in the event, the lemon acidity really cranks up, as did some structure. Like with the Vouette ed Sorbee Fidele next to it, the aeration seemed elevate this wine.
  • 2012 Vazart-Coquart Champagne Grand Cru Grand Bouquet - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    4th bottle to date. Disgorged 12/2017. with 6 g/l dosage. Like with past bottles, this has a good core of green pippin apple, spicy/tangy, with some supporting chalk. The acidity in this bottle showed a good persistence, a brightness that I enjoyed.
  • 2012 Nathalie Falmet Champagne Tentation Rosée - France, Champagne
    Second of three bottles to date. Disgorged 06/2018, with 5 g/l dosage. This bottle showed even better than the previous one, exhibiting a steely, zesty quality, with citrus rind, blood orange and raspberry. Complexity and structure here that both complemented the wine well. Terrific showing, and with one left, need to source a few more.
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Grande Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Past bottles of this have not always been to my liking, but I will say that this bottle really nailed it for me. Disgorged 06/2018, 70% PN / 30% Chard. No idea on the dosage but I think around 8 g/l is the usual? Chalky, with a citrusy bright acid that energized it. Some faint wood (barrel toast) showing, with some mineral and a measured richness. Rock solid for entry level Vilmart this time.
  • NV Paul Bara Champagne Grand Cru Brut Réserve - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Second time I have had this wine (other was back in 2017) and I have to presume that these are different disgorgements; however, no way to tell as the back label stinks for info. And, no matter, as with in 2017 when I found the wine simple in tone, I have the same impression again. Smells matchsitcky/sulfury. Tastes one-dimensional, simple, with zesty lime. Did not care for this again.
  • NV Marc Hébrart Champagne Sélection Brut Premier Cru - France, Champagne
    No back label info. Spicy, with a good spine/structure but for me the wine is built too sweet for my liking. Finishes with lemon peel.
  • 2014 Roses de Jeanne / Cédric Bouchard Champagne Blanc de Noirs Côte de Val Vilaine - France, Champagne
    Disgorged 04/2016. This one struck me for the balance and overall pleasure that it provides. Floral aromatic, with a cool purity and evenness that makes it hard to put down. Finishes with a touch of honey, reminding me some of the Marguet wines. Terrific.
  • 2008 Veuve Clicquot Ponsardin Champagne Brut Rosé Vintage - France, Champagne
    Disgorged 11/2016. Strawberry, crisp and zesty with a chewy grip to it.
  • NV Vilmart & Cie Champagne Premier Cru Cuvée Rubis - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Getting close to a case of TNs for this wine. Disgorged 11/2017, with 90% PN / 10% Chard. Lime, strawberry with some moderate tension in the structure. Finishes with a good cut of citrus pith and chalky mineral.
  • NV Ruinart Champagne Brut Rosé - France, Champagne
    First time I have drank any of this wine. The bottle shape on these is horrible, and for some of us that had racked cellars, how the hell do you store this stuff? Also, no back label info so nothing to provide. Creamy red fruit, bright and chalky, with licorice, raspberry.
  • NV Henri Giraud Champagne Grand Cru Hommage A François Hemart Brut - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    This had a candied quality for me, with pear and ginger. Interesting wine, got me to think but not sure what to make of it.
  • NV Camille Savès Champagne Grand Cru Brut Rosé Bouzy - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    I have drank a lot of this wine, and it’s consistently made well. Like with past bottles, this is peach colored, with a strawberry core, raspberry and stone fruit. Zesty, built well as usual, solid again.
  • 2013 Pierre Paillard Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Acte 1 “Les Motelettes” - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Had to add this to the database, so I wonder if these are bottles that are just making it now to the US for 2013. Disgorged 04/2018, with just under 2 g/l dosage. Pure green apple, slate, honeyed edges, zesty with good length and intensity. Good showing.
  • 2010 Champagne Suenen Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Millésimé - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Disgorged 12/2017, with 3 g/l dosage, 100% Chard. Leesy, yeasty, crunchy, with lemon and apple, along with dried herb. This showed a little rough to me, needing some better balance.
  • 2013 Chartogne-Taillet Champagne Chemin de Reims - France, Champagne
    Had a bottle of this just a few weeks ago. Disgorged 06/2018, 5 g/l dosage. I like it. Zesty, almond, green apple, saline with a good cut of citrus and a long finish. Showed well again.
  • NV Gruet Winery Brut Rosé - USA, New Mexico
    Toasty, creamy, with some sweetness. Brief impression I realize here, but the wine didn’t really speak much to me.
  • 2008 Remy Massin Champagne Brut Millésimé - France, Champagne
    40% PN, 60% Chard–this is all the label data I could gather. The acidity on this wine is electric, with a lemony briskness that is hard to miss. Intense, chalky, a powerful wine. One of my top wines of the event.
  • 2008 Lilbert-Fils Champagne Grand Cru Blanc de Blancs Brut Cramant - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru
    Disgorged Summer 2014, with 7 g/l dosage. Honey, cinnamon, green apple and the dosage here was too high for me, rendering that 7-Up soda kind of quality that turns me off.
  • 2008 Godmé Père et Fils Chardonnay Champagne Premier Cru Extra Brut Les Alouettes Saint Bets - France, Champagne, Champagne Premier Cru
    Disgorged 07/2017, 100% Chard. Not sure of the dosage on this. I bought a couple of these back in 2017, held onto them since that time. On a whim, we pulled this last night, and damn did this show excellent. Bright, intense citrus, with lively flavors yet in terrific balance. Stony, with some wood aromas. I went to look for more of this today and it’s $106 US nearby my home, but that’s nearly $45 more than I paid for these. So, do I spend to spend $120 US with tax to go replentish these? Gotta think on that one but have to say this was one of the best bottles of the day for me.

• 2013 Kutch Pinot Noir Bohan Vineyard - USA, California, Sonoma County, Sonoma Coast
    My final bottle of the 2013. Opened yesterday. There was a small pour left from overnight so added a light chill for the TN. Starting to brown a little around the rim. Lightly floral and some stems, too. The stems infuse some herbal through the palate, along with tangy raspberry/strawberry and a soily/cedar note. Finishing with an herbal tang. Given the color, and also my comment from my May 2019 bottle, I still think this is a near-term drinker and is ready to go.
  • 2013 Pisoni Pinot Noir Estate - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands
    Happy to follow T’s note, as he and I have similar palates. This was leftover from last night, when I shared it spur of the moment with some other smart palates. It was well received. Retasting today from the final pour, after I had applied a light chill to the wine. Some around the table thought there might be some stem inclusion in the wine, as it had some of that woodsy spice to it. Dark cherry, with some intense spicyness, almost peppery in tone. Licorice (like with what T’s note mentioned), some indian spices/herbal thing going on, which stays through the finish. While this has some of the Pisoni depth/darkness, what intrigues me about the wine is the sauvage quality, reminding me of cool climate syrah. Very unique vintage for the Estate, and for my final bottle, gonna rest it for another 3-5 years and see what develops.
  • 2011 Big Basin Vineyards Syrah Rattlesnake Rock - USA, California, San Francisco Bay, Santa Cruz Mountains
    Bought a couple of these several years ago, held onto this final one through that time. Was curious to see where the wine was headed so I opened it about 2PM yesterday, and a # of people worked through the bottle, but had enough leftover for a good size taste of it this afternoon–it’s had a lot of aeration. Distinct aroma of cracked black pepper, cooked meat and lavender. Very cool climate toned. The core of the wine has held up very well, with a red/black fruited note, mainly a tangy red fruit that has a garrigue line running through to the finish. Reminds me a lot of Cornas. This is a tangy, lighter weighted syrah yet it’s not short on fruit, and is not showing any signs of fading out.
  • 2013 Carlisle Petite Sirah Palisades Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley
    My final bottle of the 2013. Opened this mid-day yesterday, we used it for an event and there is still about a 1/2 bottle remaining. So, hell, let’s give it a go and see what’s here. This has fleshed out nicely with air. Dark and inky in the glass, this is a big wine, with some chocolate and iron wrapping around some blue/red fruit, then finishing with a roundness that has some decent structure still supporting it. Wowza, this is a wine that coats my palate, finishing with bitter chocolate and charcoal. With nearly a 1/3rd of the bottle still left, I am just gonna toss it in the fridge and work on it over the next couple more days.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks Frank. $5 per note donated to Laura’s House!

WetRock wrote a note on every bottle… He was getting after it!

That was a lot of sparklers, you got most of them, and covered the spectrum.

Thanks for a fun Monday morning read Frank. Hope I can make the next one!

Here’s the link for those interested:
https://www.laurashouse.org/donate

Brigger, so what did you like on Saturday? What were your top 3?

Here are my quick hits. I didn’t spend a lot of time on anything.

Lot’s of good wines. More than I remembered as I read through my notes.

Thanks to the Murray’s for hosting and organizing again. Thanks to everyone for the company. [cheers.gif]

SUNTACULAR - Frank Murray’s Casa (8/24/2019)

Posted from CellarTracker

These notes convinced me to grab a bottle of the Remy Massin. Excited to try it!

Frank, just sent in a $100 donation in support of the tasting note challenge. Thanks for the notes and all you and Jill do to advance this great cause. Wanted to be there but Dana’s mom was down this past weekend so the family could celebrate Dana’s B-Day. Wetrock, thanks for your notes as well. Now to find a couple of you guys favorites!!

I really appreciate the generosity so many of you have shown. Three other Berserkers also made some donations, Mike, so we’re glad the event reached the purpose of having some fun, yet also doing some good work financially to help Laura’s House.

Hey King, it’s a long-ass haul for you to come down here. I felt for Brian Bohr this past Saturday, as he was going to slog back up to LA after the event. All of that travel that you guys make to get down here to the OC, that is never lost on us.

Yeah. Tex pinged me on CT after I wrote my note and he was going to get some more. I didn’t realize or had forgotten Greg had some more on pre-arrival. I grabbed a couple more bottles on the news.

My highlights were the Suenen 2010 (crazy complex nose, really stood out among a large but great group of wines), Remy Massin 2008, which really popped with acidity and brightness, but not just from low dosage or crazy high citrus qualities, Pierri Paillard Les Mottelettes 2013, Nathalie Falmet, Vouet et Sorbeé Fidele Brut Nature, and the Lilbert, which I figured would be too ‘sweet’ for Frank :slight_smile: