1999 Billecart-Salmon Champagne Cuvée Nicolas-François Billecart

I went long (for me) on this wine, and we open one every 4-6 months or so, and each time I do I have this moment of apprehension that it will start to show its age and I will have to aggressively quicken my pace of consumption, but I can report that this is still on the upswing, maturing, not aging. Still effervescent, still bursting with life. Power and grace in a bottle. Love love love.

Take your time of you have them.

these can go a while, even the '91 is great despite the vintage.

This is a more oxidative style than I’ve liked…but I know what you’re saying about your apprehension that it will start to show it’s age. Thanks for the note.

I’m a champagne slut; I have an indiscriminate love for quality champagne in nearly every style (except for sweet). But I can understand how some may just not appreciate the style.

One of the better 1999’s

There was a time when it was dirt cheap too. B-S has been aggressively pushing the price of the release upward

Unfortunately, that has become a very common theme.

No doubt true. But this was 60-70 when DP and Comtes were at or above 100.

3 times this wine has exceeded my expectation, and twice it performed below my expectation. I’ve discussed this with some of my wine friends, and our general consensus is that there’s some fairly significant bottle variation in 1999 Billecart Salmon NF.

Good call early on Neal. Happy they’re holding up to provide the pleasure you deserve for making it.

Drank my last bottle at a friend’s 40th a few backs back. It was spot on and just really wonderful. Sent a glass back for the restaurant owner and he came running out to ask what it was. I also paid around 60 for it - would buy like crazy around that but I buy less B-S than I would otherwise like due to the pricing.

Thank you. This is very good to know. I bought two of these since my wife and I married in 1999 and I plan to drink them on two of our future anniversaries at some point. Any suggestions on a food pairing?